Still can't eat! Ugh...

Suez39
Suez39 Member Posts: 165 Member

I was diagnosed with bas of tongue and tonsil cancer. I finished treatment on May 21st 2018. I have a feeding tube. I still can't eat any soft or solid foods. The only thing I can get down is pudding. I got so sick of eating that I quit for awhile cause it was making me nauseated. I do my throat excersizes almost every day. I'm getting very discouraged because I don't seem to be making any progress. My throat doctor said that I'm having trouble swallowing because of scar tissue buildup on the back of my tongue and epiglottis. Did Amy of you out there have this problem? I'm want to get back to living close to a normal life without depending on a feeding tube. I appreciate Any help you can give me. Thank you and hugs to you all!

Comments

• strato2tom
    strato2tom Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2019 #2
    i am sorry to hear i'm new to this

i'm sorry to hear about your trteatment problems.  Being unable to swallow is so scary.  I guess they do dilation tubes which also frighten me.  Anyway, hi, new to this in virginia

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member
    No, but I know some on here have had troubles...

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough go of it.  Hopefully you can get some answers...

Brandon

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    Dilations Helped Me

You may want to check with a gastroenterologist. I had gotten food stuck in my throat that I had to have removed in ER after we could not get it to move up or down. When he removed it he could see the condition of my throat and said dilations would help me. I had 4 and it helped me swallow better. They have to go a little bit at a time as your throat tissue is not as flexible since radiation so if they try to stretch too much at one time there is a risk of tearing. Also, it may be longer for you I have read of others on here who have gone on quite a while till time and healing worked their problem out.