Optimizing the odds of avoiding cancer recurrence: Go jogging in your Speedo or bikini!

2»

Comments

• mysweetheartrusty
    mysweetheartrusty Member Posts: 19
    interesting!

My hubby can run around in his speedo anytime! (He's a bit self conscious of his surgery scars, but I told him he looked like he had been in a sword fight like a pirate and he liked that. ;) ) Took notes on all the supplements too. I know we have to be careful with acetimephine (sp)/ tylenol because of his liver mets and previous hepatic lobectomy. I wonder if aspirin can cause a problem too. He won't touch a drop of alchohol with the liver problem either. But just an FYI, he has been taking over the counter prenatal vitamins and they have really helped his energy....and given him great nails and hair which doesn't hurt with chemo.  (His nails look better than mine!) They have more types of iron, folate and B vitaimins than the standard multi vitamin and it made a difference for him in a day. They also have the extra calcium. Probiotic gummies vitaimins help him bounce back after all the anitibiodics from the ostomy reversal. He still takes those daily and it has slowed the number of trips to the restroom for him. Coffee is his joy, so he will love to hear that. I wonder if the caffeine has a similar effect on capillaries? Thanks so much for the great research and sharing!

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member

beat himself up for getting cancer

hi beaumontdave, My husband was very active and had a healthy lifestyle before his stage IV CRC dx too. he was so upset wondering what he could have done to prevent it...but I told him the same thing: it may have been much worse if he hadn't been so careful before. He has really bounced back well from his surgeries too which I contribute to him taking such good care himself.

Tell the hubby to drop the guilt

Not his fault at all. Unless it runs in your family, it's a fairly random cancer to get. The odds go up from being overweight, smoking, and very heavy drinking, and from what you tell me, he was not in those catagories. They say our diet puts us at more risk then say the Japanese' average diet, but a lot of what they're learning about this stuff is just coming out. No one was talking about colon cancer causes when I was younger, and even still, it's fairly random who gets it. My pop ate as he pleased all his life, so did most folks around me as I grew up, and they lived long, happy lives. My dad getting CRC at 80[stage 2] was what prompted me to get checked[along with some random rectal bleeding]. Then I found out his younger sister died from it at 76. So it runs in the family, but no one was talking about it until I got it. I tell everyone who's related, and anyone nearing 50 that they need to get the scope and not put it off, because the family not talking about it may have contributed to mine, since I was thinking I didn't need the scope until I hit 50. I was diagnosed at 49+. Like you say, your man's healthy lifestyle likely keep his cancer from being worse sooner, and will help him beat it back. Life is full of "lotteries" and in this one, his [and all here] number just came up. Bad luck, but that's all it is, and how we deal with it from here on, is what counts. Good luck to you both, from here on out....................Dave

• OnTheRoad
    OnTheRoad Member Posts: 31 Member
    Your posts rock

SandiaBuddy, I am a big fan of your posts. Congratulations for this topic and thanks for all research you are doing !

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    OnTheRoad said:

Your posts rock

SandiaBuddy, I am a big fan of your posts. Congratulations for this topic and thanks for all research you are doing !

Thanks

Thanks, OTR.  The information is a bit dated.  One of these days I will revise it all, but I am just so darned busy all the time! There will be no research for a while, my modem died so I am confined to using a cell phone and paying for data, then I have a trip coming up, but I will be back to nightly research soon.

• Princey
    Princey Member Posts: 17
    name brands?

can you tell me the name brands of the supplements you take?  and thanks for information.  

• SandiaBuddy
    Princey said:

name brands?

can you tell me the name brands of the supplements you take?  and thanks for information.  

Supplements

I take a variety of brands.  I try to look for ones manufactured in the US or Canada, but that is not always possible.  I have found that Swansons has a good variety of brands for reasonable prices--although on their self-branded products, the country of origin is unclear.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited May 2019 #28
    JanJan63 said:

I have a friend who has been

I have a friend who has been a vegetarian for over 30 years and she also tried very hard to be Vegan. She's had cancer. And I've mentioned before about our friend's horse that had a huge colon tumour. He never ate meat, I can guarantee that. So I really don't put much stock in the diet part other than to not eat a bunch of crap or processed stuff.  

Diet

My doctor also told me that it wasn't anything that was my fault with food, exercise, drinks, or meats.  I've always been active my whole life and always had salad as my main meal so I'm never a believer that diet has anything to do with it.  It always came to mind when watching a St. Jude Hospital commerical and seeing those little babies dealing with cancer - they never were old enough to consume the things that people claim gave you cancer.

Kim

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

Diet

My doctor also told me that it wasn't anything that was my fault with food, exercise, drinks, or meats.  I've always been active my whole life and always had salad as my main meal so I'm never a believer that diet has anything to do with it.  It always came to mind when watching a St. Jude Hospital commerical and seeing those little babies dealing with cancer - they never were old enough to consume the things that people claim gave you cancer.

Kim

This is what I was told. One

This is what I was told. One day a coworker asked me that if treatments got me to cancer free, would I start eating veggies and exercising so that I don't get a recurrence. I am a vegan. 

• SandiaBuddy

Diet

Kim

Diet

Kim, I am in complete agreement that looking back is of no purpose, unless it helps you to change behaviors that may have put you at risk for cancer.  I also understand that each of us has our own approach to this issue.  This is a rather old post that has resurfaced, and at the time I was not so careful to couch my terms to limit the application solely to me.  I hope I am doing better at that now.  I came accross this study last night, but chose not to post anything about it, since the survival statistics are so abysmal, but it certainly does support the premise that diet can help limit the chances of recurrence, so it may be worth a look.

• mojogirl67
    mojogirl67 Member Posts: 306

Supplements

I take a variety of brands.  I try to look for ones manufactured in the US or Canada, but that is not always possible.  I have found that Swansons has a good variety of brands for reasonable prices--although on their self-branded products, the country of origin is unclear.

Great Post On Supplements

I have ordered many things from Swansons and have always gotten good quality products from them. It's great to find something that isn't so caustic or hard on your body that actually makes a difference or helps you get thru side effects. The only way we are going to know these things is if we share them. Thanks for sharing...you do your homework, lol. Hugs, M

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member

Diet

Kim, I am in complete agreement that looking back is of no purpose, unless it helps you to change behaviors that may have put you at risk for cancer.  I also understand that each of us has our own approach to this issue.  This is a rather old post that has resurfaced, and at the time I was not so careful to couch my terms to limit the application solely to me.  I hope I am doing better at that now.  I came accross this study last night, but chose not to post anything about it, since the survival statistics are so abysmal, but it certainly does support the premise that diet can help limit the chances of recurrence, so it may be worth a look.

Speedo or Bikini

And BTW I'm not going to exercise in my bikini either LOL.  Actually just bought a bathing suit this year for the first time in 25 years.  I'm just not a water person but we were staying at a place that had a pool and thought my old Speedo might be outdated LOL.  Thanks again for all your info and love it when you break it down.

Kim