I think I might be addicted to Nyquil

EZLiving66
EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member

I've been taking Nyquil for awhile now to relieve my neuropathy in my feet and help me sleep. Yesterday I ran out of it and just figured I'd run to Walgreens today or tomorrow when I had time. OMG, I was up all night!! I can't sleep without the stuff! My husband woke up at his usual time of 6:30 and I was still awake. I felt awful, but it was like I was buzzed. I looked it up online and there are actual treatments for Nyquil addiction!

I recently bought the icing socks which I use before I go to bed to calm the weird and painful nerves in my feet and they seem to work pretty good. But unless I take my Nyquil, I can't sleep. I talked to my husband about it and he says who cares at our age if you become addicted to it if it helps you sleep. Needless to say, he drove me to Walgreens (I don't think I could have driven myself) and I bought two big bottles at the "Buy one, get one 50% off" and used my $5.00 coupon. I ended up paying less than $6.00 for a 24 day supply. 

I don't like this but I hate not being able to sleep and the pain in my feet. I was using Oxycodone but was afraid of developing an addiction to that. I still have some and probably should have used that last night but I couldn't find it until this morning. We just switched our Medicare Advantage plan to a Florida one so I have to see a new doctor. Our insurance agent gave us the names of a few she recommended and one is only a mile from here. I'm going to talk to him. My last doctor suggested going back on lorazepam with Advil but I know lorazepam is also addictive.

Dang.....I wish I had known about icing my feet when I was going through chemo with carboplatin and Taxotere. The neuropathy started right after the first round and got worse each time. I told my chemo nurse and PA about it and they never mentioned anything that might prevent it.

Well, if you see me on America's Most Wanted some night for heisting Nyquil, you can say, "I knew her when." My husband said, "How many drug addicts use coupons?"  Hopefully tonight at 11:00 p.m., I'll get my fix and by midnight I'll be sound asleep!!

Love,

Eldri

Comments

• Jairoldi
    Jairoldi Member Posts: 221 Member
    You made me smile

Eldri, you are a gifted story teller. I'm sure it was a terrible experience last night. I also take either Advil p.m. or an allergy pill or 2 every night to make sure I sleep.

• zsazsa1
    zsazsa1 Member Posts: 565 Member
    Eldri, I'm sorry you're in

Eldri, I'm sorry you're in pain, and thank God the Nyquil helps!  As long as it works, great.

You made me laugh, the bit about "How many drug addicts use coupons?"  Can't you just imagine the Saturday Night Live skit about the extreme couponer at the open air drug market?

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Ha, ha, ha,

Eldri, tell your husband he made me laugh.  Zsazsa, I loved the visual ,

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Not that funny

It's really no joke if you are dependent on something to be able to sleep. I remember that desperation for sleep all too well and was so relieved when wearing the ice slippers helped me for that as well as using them during chemo. I'm glad that you are finding that they are working for you, too.

I didn't realize that you were taking the Nyquil that regularly. It's probably like getting addicted to caffeine. You're going to have to suffer a few nights for a while to break the addiction and it won't be fun; buying more of the stuff probably wasn't a good idea, either. You're only going to get more dependent. It's just one thing after another, isn't it?

I'm so sorry that you are still dealing with the aftermath of chemo and believe me I think of you every night while I'm trying to fall asleep myself with just the buzzing in my feet and legs left to deal with. Mine is not painful and not a problem during the day, but it is a nuisance at night. I'm so glad we can help others that come here in time to avoid getting neuropathy. Prevention is everything.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 962 Member
    What about trying a different product

for a week, and switching so you don't develop a dependency on one product.   Something else for sleep for a week, then switch back?

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    Eldri, you are hilarious!

Eldri, you are hilarious! This is what our wild times have come to: trips to CVS with our coupons clutched in hand. But I can certainly relate: my sleep went sideways around the time I entered perimenopause 15 years ago and I've been on some form of sleep aid ever since (currently Ambien). I saw my GP a few months ago and she asked me what my "plan" was to stop taking it. I said I've never increased the dosage so it seems to still be working fine for me. She pressed me again, so I finally said: "Doc, I have stage IV cancer. Do you really think sleeping pills are my biggest concern? I figure any way I can get a good night's sleep, I'll take it." She refilled the prescription w/o further comment.  Perhaps you might try Benadryl if you get in that situation again; it was my Go To for years. Hopefully the new doctor will have some fresh insight, meanwhile, sweet dreams!

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member
    Sleepless since 2002

Eldri,

Thanks for your entertaining, but sad story of insomnia. Since menopause in 2002, I have had horrible insomnia. I have been prescribed Ambien, (made me dopey the next day), Lorazapam (works ok, but is addictive and gives me nightmares when I take too many days in a row) and other OTC sleep aids. All have draw backs. I live in a state where medical marijuana is legal so I started taking 10 mg. gummies every night and it usually works like a charm. I actually can fall asleep in a short amount of time (anything less than a 1/2 hour is a gift) and stay asleep for 6-8 hours straight. I know this is not legal in many states, but it sure does work for me. I never smoked any in my life and would not smoke now. The gummies take 1-2 hours to take effect so I time it accordingly. Hopefully, the stigma of using it is not too overwhelming for people. I tell all of my doctors that I use it for sleep and no one rolls their eyes. When I was the most stressed during chemo treatment I did take some after lunch a few times to help me sleep and relax and I was very grateful for the respite. I am with der Maus, sleeping pills or gummies, or Nyquil is the least of our worries. 

xxoo

Denise 

• EZLiving66
    I took my little cup's worth

I took my little cup's worth of Nyquil last night around 11:00 p.m. and by midnight I was asleep and stayed asleep until around 9:30 this morning. It just felt sooooooo good to sleep!!  I didn't even use my icing socks last night because my foot pain was "doable." I've never increased the dosage but if this quits working I'll try switching to lorazepam and Advil (or oxycodone) again - kind of varying my addictions - LOL!  I'm still a Wisconsin resident and they're just getting onboard with considering allowing marijuana's use in chronic pain management, PTSD and cancer. Here in Florida, it's allowed but you have to be a Florida resident to get a card to buy it legally. I have no qualms about using it but I don't want to end up in jail either, and, NO Nyquil!!  

With having Stage II, UPSC, I realize, at some point, the odds are pretty high it may come back. I religiously take my Metformin and will be coming up on four years NED this summer but I don't ever think I will consider myself cured. Our daughter's thyroid cancer came back after TWENTY years! Knowing all that, I live every day to the fullest. Things that bothered me at one time, no longer do. I am the happiest I have ever been. If something does come up, I pretend that I'm really dead and was allowed one day back on this earth and here I am! In my one day, I'm sure not going to squander it on being angry or sad. It changes my entire outlook!

That being said my friends, I am going out to lunch with my husband. We found this little restaurant which offers cheeseburgers, fries and a drink for $6.50 or a salad with a bowl of soup and a drink for $4.99. My husband loves their fried chicken which reminds him of his broasted chicken in Wisconsin. Have an excellent Friday!

Love,

Eldri

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Marijuana Card

Your might be able to get your marijuana card in FL using your Florida address. I was able to get my Maryland card like that since we own property in MD but permanent residence is PA. I would check in to what you have to do to get a card in FL. 

• BluebirdOne

Marijuana Card

Your might be able to get your marijuana card in FL using your Florida address. I was able to get my Maryland card like that since we own property in MD but permanent residence is PA. I would check in to what you have to do to get a card in FL. 

Agree with Cheese

There are many ways that THC or CBD can help with chronic pain, anxiety, and sleeplessness. It is but one more tool in our arsenals to help us get through this. We have the same ability with living in CO part of the year as property owners and MI the other half as our permanent residence. But every state has very different regulations. 

• BluebirdOne

I took my little cup's worth of Nyquil last night around 11:00 p.m. and by midnight I was asleep and stayed asleep until around 9:30 this morning. It just felt sooooooo good to sleep!!  I didn't even use my icing socks last night because my foot pain was "doable." I've never increased the dosage but if this quits working I'll try switching to lorazepam and Advil (or oxycodone) again - kind of varying my addictions - LOL!  I'm still a Wisconsin resident and they're just getting onboard with considering allowing marijuana's use in chronic pain management, PTSD and cancer. Here in Florida, it's allowed but you have to be a Florida resident to get a card to buy it legally. I have no qualms about using it but I don't want to end up in jail either, and, NO Nyquil!!  

With having Stage II, UPSC, I realize, at some point, the odds are pretty high it may come back. I religiously take my Metformin and will be coming up on four years NED this summer but I don't ever think I will consider myself cured. Our daughter's thyroid cancer came back after TWENTY years! Knowing all that, I live every day to the fullest. Things that bothered me at one time, no longer do. I am the happiest I have ever been. If something does come up, I pretend that I'm really dead and was allowed one day back on this earth and here I am! In my one day, I'm sure not going to squander it on being angry or sad. It changes my entire outlook!

That being said my friends, I am going out to lunch with my husband. We found this little restaurant which offers cheeseburgers, fries and a drink for $6.50 or a salad with a bowl of soup and a drink for $4.99. My husband loves their fried chicken which reminds him of his broasted chicken in Wisconsin. Have an excellent Friday!

Love,

Eldri

Sleep is wonderful!

Glad you had a restful night. 

xxoo

Denise 

• Primavera
    Primavera Member Posts: 231 Member
    MAbound said:

Not that funny

It's really no joke if you are dependent on something to be able to sleep. I remember that desperation for sleep all too well and was so relieved when wearing the ice slippers helped me for that as well as using them during chemo. I'm glad that you are finding that they are working for you, too.

I didn't realize that you were taking the Nyquil that regularly. It's probably like getting addicted to caffeine. You're going to have to suffer a few nights for a while to break the addiction and it won't be fun; buying more of the stuff probably wasn't a good idea, either. You're only going to get more dependent. It's just one thing after another, isn't it?

I'm so sorry that you are still dealing with the aftermath of chemo and believe me I think of you every night while I'm trying to fall asleep myself with just the buzzing in my feet and legs left to deal with. Mine is not painful and not a problem during the day, but it is a nuisance at night. I'm so glad we can help others that come here in time to avoid getting neuropathy. Prevention is everything.

I've been making a list of

I've been making a list of what to do when chemo comes and I'm so surprised doctors don't tell you about the ice slippers...or do they? How did you all find this out?

• Primavera
    That was a funny read

It made me smile. Only because you are a good writer. But then I think about you having to take something to fall asleep and that's not funny at all.

I always slept only for 4 to 5 hours. I tire myself as much as I can and go to bed really late so that I don't feel anything.

But I wonder what the new normal is going to be.

By the way, I haven't taken anything at all, ever. NyQuil makes me nervous and shaky and once I learned that when and if I got a cold, I just let it run its ourse. If I ever got a headache, I would take a nap and wake up without it. Because of that, I cannot ever answer right away if I'm allergic to anything. A lot of pills have been a first this year.

• Primavera
    ForHerself idea...

...is something I would probably do. Switch products here and there? 

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Humor

Eldri, I have always loved how you can see the humor of what is otherwise not so funny. I don't know how you do it, to tell the truth. Some people just have that gift and I wish I could be that way. But no, I'm the worrier about everything. I'm so glad you are happy, but I still hate that this kind of stuff still seems to keep happening to you. I saw between the lines how you had been trying to avoid just this kind of thing happening and yet you take it in stride with your usual grace and humor. Thank you for being here.

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Hey edri

Hey edri

Take good care of yourself okay. Im sorry you neropathy bothers you so much. The other ladys are right you have such a way with humor in all this. It reminds me of your wig story in the barn. 

I wish you didnt have all this pain. 

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Have you tried acupuncture?

Eldri, have you ever tried acupuncture? Find a reputable practitioner. Mine was an anethesiologist at a pain center. Insurance probably won’t pay. 

• EZLiving66
    Primavera said:

I've been making a list of

I've been making a list of what to do when chemo comes and I'm so surprised doctors don't tell you about the ice slippers...or do they? How did you all find this out?

No one at my chemo center in

No one at my chemo center in Green Bay, WI mentioned a word about it - not even after I complained about my numb and tingling feet and hands. I heard about it on this site!

Love,

Eldri

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    janaes said:

Hey edri

Hey edri

Take good care of yourself okay. Im sorry you neropathy bothers you so much. The other ladys are right you have such a way with humor in all this. It reminds me of your wig story in the barn. 

I wish you didnt have all this pain. 

That's funny Janaes.... I was

That's funny Janaes.... I was thinking about that same wig story after reading Eldri's post.... :-)

Eldri, there are worst things to be addicted to! I started having trouble sleeping right before menopause and have never gotten back to a good nights' sleep. I normally don't take anything but if I go more than 4 nights without at least 5 hours of sleep I will resort to taking a Benedryl. I do miss those nights of going to bed, being asleep in 15 minutes and staying that way until time to get up. Anyways, I'm so glad you got emotionally strong enough to come back to our board. You are a bright spot in our day!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member

Love,

Eldri

I think anything that helps

I think anything that helps you sleep is definitely worth it! I never heard about icing until this board and it was too late by then. Now at my center they recommend it:( oh well we are still alive !