CA19-9

Ruthmomto4
Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
edited March 2019 in Colorectal Cancer #1

has anyone had this tumor marker test done? For some reason my husband’s oncologist ran it, came back fine at 20 under 34 or maybe it was 37 is normal. it has not been tested before so I have nothing to gauge it against. He doesn’t see her for a month so he won’t ask her until

then, maybe it’s because the bile duct tumor is close to the pancreas? I don’t know it seemed like it was a marker used more for that. His CEA also continues to be nice and low at 2.0 now if we could just keep this stent from getting infected!!!

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    I've never heard of it. I

I've never heard of it. I hope it's good!

Jan

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    ckg

Probably he ran CA199 to check it against any surprises, like 200 - 2000 units.  Various forums' members have encountered high CA199  in the past, despite normal CEA.   I would hate to be surprised later, when it could have been found earlier.  Done well, CA199 does need to monitored with other panel(s) for inflammation.

• k8
    k8 Member Posts: 33 Member
    edited April 2019 #4
    Cancer Marker

My mother has pancreatic cancer and her oncologist orders this type of blood test CA 19-9 every 3 to 4 months. According to Cleveland clinic this is a tumor marker test sometimes called cancer markers in the blood, urine. Tumor maker is specific to one tyoe of cancer. this test helps find out if your cancer has spread.

For example I will share with you results for my mom: Standard range for this type of test is <36 U/ml. Mom is 85 (no cure, just pain management at this point) Her level in June 2018 was 1,463, level in February 2019 is now 71,755. I do not know what this means. When I see her oncologist this month I will ask and post on your posting regarding CA 19-9.

Hope this helps.

Kate