Cancer has taken almost everything now

JanJan63
JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

Sorry, this is just a whine but this is the only place where people really understand about cancer and what it does. I just found out an hour ago that I owe over $10,000 for business taxes from the business I had to sell because I got cancer. We do not have that kind of money and just get by every month due to me not working and getting disability which is just over a thousand dollars a month. My husband has tried to hang onto the things I love to make me happy but with this latest news we can't do that anymore. I have to be tough abd do what I have to do, not what makes me happy. I feel like at this point cancer will have taken everything from me except my life- yet.

I have to sell my horse and my car. Cars are replacable but I have to asmit that driving a bright red Camaro has made me feel human again and makes me happy when I drive it. But it's unnecessary and I don't need it. My horse is the one that's going to crush me. We've had him for almost twenty years. He's my baby and we're fiercely attached. I thought i'd have him until the day I die. But I can't work and I can't work off this money to taxation. So I'm going to have to suck it up and rehome him. His sale will go a long ways towards paying the debt off. I can't keep putting this pressure on my husband or the stress. But my heart is going to shatter. It will gut me. Damn, I'm so sick at the thought of it but it's just one more thing cancer has taken from me. 

Well, it feels a bit better getting this out of my system. I still must be grateful for being alive and feeling better these days and for the people in my life. I am still blessed. 

Thanks you for sharing my heartbreak,

Jan

Comments

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    I am so sorry to hear this.

When you say rehome, are you absolutely sure that whoever is taking him will allow him to live his life out with them? Is it the monthly feed and housing, or are you sellling him? if it is the cost of care, maybe look into a sanctuary to take him.

• JanJan63
    abita said:

When you say rehome, are you absolutely sure that whoever is taking him will allow him to live his life out with them? Is it the monthly feed and housing, or are you sellling him? if it is the cost of care, maybe look into a sanctuary to take him.

I'd be very careful about who

I'd be very careful about who buys him. It's not the monthly cost, which is bad enough, it's a huge bill I owe taxation that we just founf out about. I've been trying to get them sorted out for over a year and it finally did and I owe over 8 grand. They're threatening to make us sell our house if it's not paid off.

I'm so upset I just tried to give a dog cookie to the cat. She looked at me like I was nuts.

Jan

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    Oh no! I am so sorry to hear

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this. Isn't there a way to re-pay taxes monthly or something similar?  My heart is breaking thinking you must part with your beloved horse.

• Princey
    Princey Member Posts: 17
    payment plan?

Are you able to work out some kind of monthly payment plan?  Yes it would take awhile, but maybe you'd be able to keep your horse?

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited April 2019 #6
    Taxes

I'm sorry to hear this, Jan.  We too have just found out that we owe taxes this year, over $2,200 which for us, is bad enough. I wept when I heard. I can't even begin to imagine how you feel, with such a huge bill. 

I still can't figure out how come we owe so much, my husband earns minimum wage and I only work two days at minimum wage.  

I hate everything to do with money. 

I do so hope there is some way you can keep your horse. The car, can go, but your horse is a membe of the family. Praying that something works out for you. 

Cancer is a beast that eats you alive, not only physically, but financially and emotionally. 

Cyber hugs,friend. 

Tru

• Twinzma
    Twinzma Member Posts: 236 Member
    Jan-Jan

I am so terribly sorry. Your story went public once, why not once again and start a go fund me account? I know that asking for help is not something anyone wants to do, but I am sure that if people in your community knew, so many would help with feed and monetary donations. An acquaintance of ours son was diagnosed not long back with bone cancer. He was uninsured and the community raised $18,000 in one night at a restaurant fund raiser. I know that the horse community is also so generous, they too will want to help if you asked. The car can be replaced, but not your beloved horse! Your horse is a local celebrity having visited you, I am sure that so many will support a fund if you started one. 

• Butt
    Butt Member Posts: 352 Member

Jan, I also suggest that you start some funding page. I believe many members on this board will contribute. I am truly sorry, honey. Butt.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Slow down

My advice would be to slow down a little and not take any action at all immediately.  Canadian law is not so different from US law, and there are likely countless ways that you can forestall, appeal and reduce the tax debt.  Also, even if every penny of the debt sticks, there are certain assets that are exempt from collection--including a house and a car.  If your horse is your therapy animal (get your doctor to write that in a letter) I imagine he would be exempt as well.  Sometimes things seem catastrophic at first, but with some analysis and advice, they are not as bad as it seems.  Try to get a consultation with an attorney with experience in tax and collection law.  Usually initial consultations are free, and even if there is a fee, it will likely be worth it.  My guess is that things will turn out to be not as bad as they seem right  now.

• JanJan63
    Thank you all for your

Thank you all for your support- again. I don't know what I'd do without all of you in my corner. If someone can tell me how to post pictures on here now that I no longer have Photobucket I'd appreciate it. I wouldn't do a GoFundMe for something like this. As much as he is family and I love him more than I can say and he and I are fiercely connected, he's a luxury. How many people have horses? Not many because they're expensive. I will wait until I get the paperwork from the tax department and see what my options are but they've said they're going to force us to sell our house. It just feels like another kick in the butt from cancer, the gift that keeps on giving.

Jan

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Photos

It took me a while to figure this out.

Click on the little picture of the tree in the bar on top of the shaded section in which you compose a message.

A dialog box will pop up.  Go to the right side of the "Image URL" line (that is for internet pages, I assume) and click on the box on the far right side. That brings up a second dialog box.  Go to the upper left-hand corner of the dialog box and click the "upload" arrow.  That will allow you to browse your computer for the file you want to upload.  Once you find the photo you want, click upload. It should be resized, but if it is too big, CSN may refuse it without a further message.

Click 'insert file."

That should work.

• JanJan63
    Thank you!!

Thank you!!

• JanJan63
    I just got home from the

I just got home from the cancer support group in our town which is held at a restaurant. I got my first senior discount tonight because it's for 55 and over. First time in my life, very sobering. I feel like I'm ancient now!

Jan

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    I'm so sorry

This disease is so unforgiving and doesn't care what it takes from you or who it takes.  I'm so sorry to hear that another part of you that you love is going to be taken from you.  My heart is breaking for you.  Wish that your horse can go someplace where the new owners will allow you to come and visit.

Hugs!  Kim

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Oh that sucks so bad! But I

Oh that sucks so bad! But I will tell you what my mother always told me... if money is your problem, you have no problems. Your health is much more important. Love is more important.

She also said... you can’t get blood from a stone. I’m not really sure about that one but I think it means... let them try and take your money. It won’t be easy.

i agree with Sandia... don’t do anything right away. See about payments. They will work with you. They will NOT make you sell anything. You need your horse. You need your car. Don’t make a rash decision. 

It breaks my heart to see how this disease devastates us all. i hope you can work it out.

k

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Sorry Jan, that really is a

Sorry Jan, that really is a harsh choice this crap is forcing on you. I've battled the IRS over tax stuff before and options are there for using the taxpayer advocate, offers-in-compromise, and bankruptcy rules. I assume Canada has similiar ways to counter a tax bill and I hope you and the hubby have sorted all the options. Sometimes it feels as if the moment we've accepted a smaller deal from life, it smacks us in the head and demands some more. Hang in there..............................................................Dave

• Sestra17
    Sestra17 Member Posts: 68 Member
    edited April 2019 #17
    I hate that cancer is stealing so much from you!

As a fellow horsewoman I truly understand your pain. But in your situation I don't think anyone could think of your horse as a "luxury". As you said, been with you 20 some years-if that doesn't qualify as family I don't know what does. Plus it is a well known fact that horses are very therapeutic in many different situations. Please rethink the GoFundMe option, at this point anything is worth a try. Thinking of you and sending nose kisses from my ponies in Heaven Orion and Isobel.

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    JanJan,listen!

Hi JanJan, after reading your story with the taxman,I want to ask you this: how had they contacted you? By phone,as CRA? Treatening you if you don't pay those thousends of dollars they will make you to sell your house? I don't think it could have been Revenue Canada. There is a scam going on for a while-fraudsters pretending to be CRA  and trying to get the money from innocent people. Please make sure you deal with the real CAR!

Good luck with EVERYTHING,

Suzy

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    JanJan63 said:

I just got home from the

I just got home from the cancer support group in our town which is held at a restaurant. I got my first senior discount tonight because it's for 55 and over. First time in my life, very sobering. I feel like I'm ancient now!

Jan

Kid

At 55 you are just a kid.  I was 77 when dxed-currently86.  I guess I'm old-lol

Danker

• JanJan63
    danker said:

Kid

At 55 you are just a kid.  I was 77 when dxed-currently86.  I guess I'm old-lol

Danker

Danker, I'm 56. I'd like to

Danker, I'm 56. I'd like to say it was because I'd been crying yesterday and probably looked rough but the server said she'd been going to ask me last time I was there. I didn't care when I turned 40 or 50 but this seems like a milestone and it's bothering me! Oh, I shouldn't worry about it. It was just kind of a lousy end to a bad day.

I hope you're doing well! I don't see you on here very often.

Hugs,

Jan

• JanJan63

JanJan,listen!

Hi JanJan, after reading your story with the taxman,I want to ask you this: how had they contacted you? By phone,as CRA? Treatening you if you don't pay those thousends of dollars they will make you to sell your house? I don't think it could have been Revenue Canada. There is a scam going on for a while-fraudsters pretending to be CRA  and trying to get the money from innocent people. Please make sure you deal with the real CAR!

Good luck with EVERYTHING,

Suzy

CRA

I called them because I got a letter. We already knew they had put a lien on our house but we also knew they had estimated what I owed and overestimated it because they thought I'd owned the business for a year and a half longer than I did. It's been such a mess. So it's less than what they first wanted but it's till a lot of money.

Jan