Two Years

SandiaBuddy
SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
edited March 2019 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Two years ago I faced surgery for an obstructive tumor in my colon.  I did not know if I would live to see another Spring (my favorite season, despite the allergies).  After surgery, the results came back stage IIIb, and I did a single treatment with oxaliplatin, which I discontinued, and four months of capecitabine (Xeloda).  Chemo was no fun.

Today, I got the results of my CT scan and blood work and there is no evidence of cancer.  My peak chance of recurrence has passed, and the doctors suggested reducing to twice a year blood tests and once a year CT scans, which sounds good to me.

Overall, my quality of life is very good.  I am able to pursue my passion for hiking, having just completed a 20-mile day-hike to the bottom of Grand Canyon two weeks ago, and planning another one this weekend.  Come May, I plan to try a rim-to-rim hike in a day, if weather and health permit.  Yes, there are scars and pain and lingering issues from chemotherapy, but they are not debilitating.  I say this to encourage those on the front-side of this disease to realize that there will be adjustments, but that life can be good.

I recognize that my chances of recurrence are still high and I believe that I have made peace with mortality on both a rational and emotional level.  I therefore strive to live life to its fullest every minute of every day.

I appreciate all of the help and support from the members of this forum for the past two years.

Comments

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    Continue to march...

Buddy:

That is a military command, issued/said when you want the unit to continue forward in the same direction at the same pace and not be distracted by surrounding events.  I think it best describes this situation.  You have successfully stayed the course and damned the torpedoes.

Congratulations.  May the wind be to your back and the sun to your face, unless you are standing on the precipice of the Grand Canyon.

Jim

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited March 2019 #3
    Great news, bud, and with

Great news, bud, and with that lifestyle of yours, good diet, supplements, and hiking, sounds like a clear trail ahead of you. I wish I had your wheels, lol. Keep on trucking.............................................Dave

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Happy, happy day!

That deserves a dance or two 

super happy dance emoticon  and of course,image .

Tru

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    Terrific News!

So wonderful to hear you are NED and the outlook is so promising! Hope to pass you one day in the Canyon!

• Lily Flower
    Lily Flower Member Posts: 260 Member
    Great news Sandra.

Great news Sandra. Congratulations on continuing being NED. Keep on hiking! 

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 784 Member
    Congrats Sandia! Enjoy your

Congrats Sandia! Enjoy your posts here.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Keep It Up

It is so wonderful to hear that your scan came out so good and that you can go to once a year.  That's a big relief and milestone.  Sounds like you are tackling all the passions in your life and enjoying every moment of it.  Just love your Avatar picture, and shows your love for what is important to you in life.  Continued health to you and thank you for your support on this board.

Kim

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Wonderful!

i admire you so much. I had lung surgery last year and then 6 months of chemo. That ended in December. It’s March and I’m finally feeling closer to normal. I started walking and can do a mile and half. Lol. Not everyday but I try to get out there. I worked all through this mess and I finally retire May 1. Then I will have time to get out and do more. My next challenge is to go bike riding with my grandchildren.

again wonderful news. May you be NED forever!

k

• lhduffer
    lhduffer Member Posts: 90 Member
    Congrats

Congrats on the great scan results and progressing to once a year scans!  That is a significant milestone.

Also, thank you for all of the extremely interesting posts on current medical research.  

May you be forever NED!

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    That's wonderful news!!! I

That's wonderful news!!! I love that you're able to hike like that! I can't walk around the block. And I'm going to the Grand Canyon on April 22. But no hiking for me!

Keep up the good work and stay NED, you inspire all of us!

Jan

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    So happy to hear the great news!

Sandia,

You have worked hard to beat this disease and deserve all the good things life brings your way!

I wish I could hike like you, but haven't hiked in the mountains for several years.  Used to hike in Glacier National Park when I lived in Montana and  took the Highline trail up to Sperry Chalet which burned in a fire a few years back.   I live in the plains of the midwest now so not much opportunity.  I'll have to travel more lol.

I truly appreciate all of your research and advice on this forum and hope you don't forget about us since you're doing so well. 

I've been fighting for 3 years now this month and not in remission or even close.  I do feel much better today than I did 3 years ago so that is an accomplishment in itself. 

Like so many others I beleive each day is a gift. 

Enjoy your day! 

Joan

• ann63
    ann63 Member Posts: 20 Member
    I’m so happy for you! Keep

I’m so happy for you! Keep inspiring us!

i had my 6 month scan yesterday and praying for continued Ned!

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Congratulations, keep on

Congratulations, keep on keepin' on.  I might suggest more blood tests, more frequently to address gap issues and any potential lead times.  3x per year cuts 2 months gap off.

• SandiaBuddy

Continue to march...

Buddy:

That is a military command, issued/said when you want the unit to continue forward in the same direction at the same pace and not be distracted by surrounding events.  I think it best describes this situation.  You have successfully stayed the course and damned the torpedoes.

Congratulations.  May the wind be to your back and the sun to your face, unless you are standing on the precipice of the Grand Canyon.

Jim

March

I will continue onward as long as I can.

• SandiaBuddy

Great news, bud, and with

Great news, bud, and with that lifestyle of yours, good diet, supplements, and hiking, sounds like a clear trail ahead of you. I wish I had your wheels, lol. Keep on trucking.............................................Dave

Thanks

Thank you.

• SandiaBuddy
    Trubrit said:

Happy, happy day!

That deserves a dance or two 

super happy dance emoticon  and of course,image .

Tru

Happy Dance!

Ah, the happy dance.  I have been hoping to qualify for one!

• SandiaBuddy

Terrific News!

So wonderful to hear you are NED and the outlook is so promising! Hope to pass you one day in the Canyon!

Hiking

I have committed to hiking the Canyon as often as I can for as long as I can. I'll see you on the trail.

• SandiaBuddy

Great news Sandra.

Great news Sandra. Congratulations on continuing being NED. Keep on hiking! 

Thanks

Thank you.

• SandiaBuddy

Congrats Sandia! Enjoy your

Congrats Sandia! Enjoy your posts here.

Thanks

Thank you.

• SandiaBuddy

Keep It Up

It is so wonderful to hear that your scan came out so good and that you can go to once a year.  That's a big relief and milestone.  Sounds like you are tackling all the passions in your life and enjoying every moment of it.  Just love your Avatar picture, and shows your love for what is important to you in life.  Continued health to you and thank you for your support on this board.

Kim

Thanks

Thank you.  I appreciate your support and posts as well.