Radiation Questions

JanJan63
JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

According to the doctors I have internal adhesions (scarring) from having radiation a couple of times. So they don't want to radiate me again unless it's for palliative reasons. 

I have a huge scar that has developed over the last almost five years since my initial surgery when I had to have a drain after due to an abcess at the resection site. It has grown to the point where it's about the size of a ping pong ball and is getting closer to golf ball sized. I'd be scared it's a tumour but I had a PET scan in November and it didn't show as cancerous. It's attached itself to my tail bone and has become quite uncomfortable. It hurts to lie on my back and to sit down, particularly on the toilet. It feels like it's tearing away from the tailbone or something if I'm not careful. 

My onc mentioned a few months ago that it could be radiated. I've never heard of a scar being radiated and I can't seem to find information on whether radiation only goes as far as the tumour or scar and no further. Because if it doesn't go any further then why do I have so many adhesions? I certainly don't want to get that done if it's going to cause more problems. And why do people get burns from it?

Any advice would ge greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Radiation burns

Here is some helpful info from Wikipedia 

As the ionizing radiation interacts with cells within the body—damaging them—the body responds to this damage, typically resulting in erythema—that is, redness around the damaged area.

And from Cancer Treatment Centers of America

After frequent radiation treatments, skin cells often do not have enough time to repair and regenerate between treatments. Radiation therapy may cause the exposed skin to peel off more quickly than it can grow back, causing sores or ulcers. While these wounds may look and feel like burns, the term is a misnomer, since the treatment does not actually burn the skin. For it to heal, the skin needs time to regenerate, a process that may take two to four weeks for mild reactions, or several months or more for serious injuries. In the interim, various supportive care therapies may be used to soothe the itching and pain that often results.

I don't know anything about radiating scar tissue. 

Tru