MRIs and UTIs

Kaleena
Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member

So I really haven't posted for awhile.   Anyway, after my major surgeries in April and June of 2018, I am still in the scan every 3 months phase.   However, my MRI at the end of July I had a reaction to the "breeza" (Not the IV contrast) but the stuff you drink.  Right after I was done with my MRI, I had immediately diarrhea. (embarrasing pants messing kind).   Then I developed a UTI and as soon as I was finished with antibiotic got another UTI (different strain).  I finished that antibiotic and was good until recently.   I had another MRI in mid February.  I told them about the diarrhea and they gave me one less bottle to drink of the Breeza (still got the IV contrast).   As I was leaving and in my car I had immediate diarrhea (unable to hold, messing pants).  I drove home that way.  It was good that I had a bladder pad on (since surgery I also have leakage) as it caught some of the mess.   A week and a half later I just got another UTI.

I called the nurse and told her I needed a test for UTI.  She didn't believe me that I had one as I didn't have the classic symptoms again (no pain, no visible blood, no burning).   I had cloudy and smelly urine.   I got the test and I did have a UTI.  Now they want me to see a urologist since I had 3 UTIs within 6 months.   I never had a UTI before this.   I still think it was from having the MRI.  I am just finishing up the antibiotic.

Also, I told my surgeon that and he said the next scan (in May) (MRI and a chest CT this time) I can do it without the Breeza.  We will see how that works out.

Anyone else have this issue?

Kathy

Comments

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Odd

You say the UTIs are different organisms? Could they be related to the diarrhe?  Usually e-coli. Maybe try the d-mannose powder available on amazon. When I got too many UTIs my urologist sent me to an infectious disease guy. Was very insightful and stopped the cycle of infections. Guess it’s time for Depends on MRI day. If it’s not one thing it’s another. 

BTW, waiting to schedule surgery to get my ureter blockage fixed permanentlY. Can’t stand the stents anymore. 

• takingcontrol58
    takingcontrol58 Member Posts: 272 Member
    UTIs - causes

Kaleena,
    CheeseQueen has provided an excellent recommendation on the D-mannose.
    D-mannose is the active ingredient in cranberry juice, but much stronger and cranberry juice is high in fructose.
    And she is correct on the e-coli. E-coli is responsible for 90% of all UTIs.

You might want to read the article below-it is from an excellent site that is very 
    educational on all types of health topics- www.mercola.com.

You should also eat organic chicken and grass fed beef. People are becoming
    antibiotic resistant because of all the antibiotics fed to chickens, cattle and pigs.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/09/27/chicken-meat-linked-to-uti-epidemic.aspx

Takingcontrol58

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Oral Contrast

I haven't had an MRI, but the oral contrast that I drink before CT-scans causes major diarrhea "blow-outs" for me. After one very embarrassing episode when I was just about to get my IV hookup (fortunately I had packed replacement items, just in case), I've taken to doing a colonoscopy-level cleanse the night before my CT-scans.

I haven't experienced a UTI after the scans, but the last scan I had a couple of weeks ago left me sticking close to the bathroom and downing Imodium for several days afterwards.

I just put the oral contrast in plain water, so I know that it's not a reaction to a beverage – it's the contrast solution itself.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    Hmm, the only time I had oral

Hmm, the only time I had oral contrast was my radiation planning CT. All my others have been with IV only. 

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    What dose of D-mannose is

What dose of D-mannose is recommended? I, also, have had a couple of 'silent' UTI's and need to start taking it. Thanks!

• CheeseQueen57
    derMaus said:

What dose of D-mannose is

What dose of D-mannose is recommended? I, also, have had a couple of 'silent' UTI's and need to start taking it. Thanks!

D-Mannose

I mix a tsp in liquid every morning. I order the powder on amazon. 6 oz is about $25. I get the Natrol brand I think b

• Kaleena

Odd

You say the UTIs are different organisms? Could they be related to the diarrhe?  Usually e-coli. Maybe try the d-mannose powder available on amazon. When I got too many UTIs my urologist sent me to an infectious disease guy. Was very insightful and stopped the cycle of infections. Guess it’s time for Depends on MRI day. If it’s not one thing it’s another. 

BTW, waiting to schedule surgery to get my ureter blockage fixed permanentlY. Can’t stand the stents anymore. 

I had that done

i couldn’t stand going every 3 months for stent change.   that meant X-ray blood rests every 3 months plus taking off that one day.   I had my uretuer reimplantment surgery in Dec of 2015.   The only thing I found out they did wrong was they left part of my ureter in where they had to cut off.   It didn’t cause any problems but my recent surgery my surgeon inquired about it.

ill be glad to see you are free of that!

Kathy

• Kaleena
    edited March 2019 #9
    Thanks for info!

my back to back bacteria was ecoli and the other one was kleosiella oxytocin’s.   My most recent was ecoli 

• CheeseQueen57
    Kaleena said:

Thanks for info!

my back to back bacteria was ecoli and the other one was kleosiella oxytocin’s.   My most recent was ecoli 

E-coli

E-coli is usually from fecal contamination. D-mannose is supposed to prevent e-coli from adhering to the bladder wall. My infectious disease doc said I was either re-infecting or the infection was not completly clearing. We tried a higher dose, longer term trial of antibiotic and it seemed to kick it. 

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    edited March 2019 #11
    Diarrhea and UTI's

I've had a lot of diarrhea over the years, and I frequently get UTI's from it (the sprays from diarrhea contaminate the urinary tract)  I have one toilet downstairs where the water level is too high, and sometimes I also get UTI's from BM's that land in the water and then splash my urinary tract.  I have a great urologist who did a cystoscopy on me because I have a cystocele and he was worried I might also have an open area between my vagina and urethra or even between the rectum and the other two.  There was one suspicious spot, but nothing definite.  I know I had irritable bowel back in the 90's, and now I have cancer in the intestine, which has caused more diarrhea.

My urologist gives me a script for Levaquin for my UTI's and another for Trimethoprim (one of the ingredients in Bactrim (I'm allergic to the other ingredient in it)) which I use to prevent UTI's.  I take it at night after having diarrhea or getting splashed by contaminated toilet water, and it often (but not always) helps prevent UTI's.  I also take Cranberry with D-Mannose twice a day which I buy at a GNC store.  He recommended 2 grams a day, which comes out to 4-500 mg. capsules.  I've had both e coli and klebsiella infections in the past.  I had the klebsiella infection after the wire to our well pump stopped working, and we had to have the well opened up and worked on.  I understand klebsiella infections can come from soil.  I've wondered if gardeners are more likely to get them.

• Kaleena
    pinky104 said:

Diarrhea and UTI's

I've had a lot of diarrhea over the years, and I frequently get UTI's from it (the sprays from diarrhea contaminate the urinary tract)  I have one toilet downstairs where the water level is too high, and sometimes I also get UTI's from BM's that land in the water and then splash my urinary tract.  I have a great urologist who did a cystoscopy on me because I have a cystocele and he was worried I might also have an open area between my vagina and urethra or even between the rectum and the other two.  There was one suspicious spot, but nothing definite.  I know I had irritable bowel back in the 90's, and now I have cancer in the intestine, which has caused more diarrhea.

My urologist gives me a script for Levaquin for my UTI's and another for Trimethoprim (one of the ingredients in Bactrim (I'm allergic to the other ingredient in it)) which I use to prevent UTI's.  I take it at night after having diarrhea or getting splashed by contaminated toilet water, and it often (but not always) helps prevent UTI's.  I also take Cranberry with D-Mannose twice a day which I buy at a GNC store.  He recommended 2 grams a day, which comes out to 4-500 mg. capsules.  I've had both e coli and klebsiella infections in the past.  I had the klebsiella infection after the wire to our well pump stopped working, and we had to have the well opened up and worked on.  I understand klebsiella infections can come from soil.  I've wondered if gardeners are more likely to get them.

thanks Pinky.   I don’t know

thanks Pinky.   I don’t know how I got the klebsiella.  That’s interesting about the soul.  I guess I better make an appointment with my urologist.    I do have mild hydronuphrosis on my left side which they believe is caused by scarring.  That’s also the side I had reimplantment of my ureter.  

• CheeseQueen57
    Kaleena said:

thanks Pinky.   I don’t know

thanks Pinky.   I don’t know how I got the klebsiella.  That’s interesting about the soul.  I guess I better make an appointment with my urologist.    I do have mild hydronuphrosis on my left side which they believe is caused by scarring.  That’s also the side I had reimplantment of my ureter.  

Hydroneuphrosis

Kaleena, are you saying you still have hydrnephrosis even though they replanted your ureter?    :(

• Kaleena

Hydroneuphrosis

Kaleena, are you saying you still have hydrnephrosis even though they replanted your ureter?    :(

Yes

It was good for 3 years but when I had that major surgery recently scar tissue is pressing it.  

• DM_K
    DM_K Member Posts: 51
    bluesmama said:

So I have possibly a similar pattern

Things about me: I'm in surgical menopause. Had pelvic radiation.This might be TMI, but that means I'm dry dry dry down there (the lubrication helps relieve dryness). I have issues with loose/soft stools since my major surgery. Had part of my lower colon removed right next to my rectum. The urge to toot is the same as the urge to poop. I literally can't tell the difference anymore!!! I also a weakened anal muscle so I'm wiping both ends every time I go to the bathroom to keep myself as clean as possible and use copious amount of wet wipes at home. If I don't do this, I get UTI's every other month. I truly believe because I don't have those protective fluids that would help shield against contamination and because I'm unprotected down there, all it takes is a little bit to cause a UTI. I actually keep a few macrobid pills handy just in case but I've visited Urgent care twice already this year for UTI. I attribute this to a lot of traveling that I've done and not being as vigilant while away from home. By the end of Feb, I've included heading to the pharmacy to buy wet wipes no matter what city I'm in as a part of my routine and it's seemed to have help. I also only use water to clean below the belt because I noticed that soaps seem to contribute to UTI's as well. Whenever I feel something coming, I immediately take a pill and see a doctor.

What type of wet wipes are

What type of wet wipes are you using?  Maybe try using one specifically made for the vaginal area if you aren't already.

Maybe one of these might help.  https://beatsofhealth.com/best-vaginal-wipes/

• bluesmama
    bluesmama Member Posts: 125 Member

Things about me: I'm in surgical menopause. Had pelvic radiation.This might be TMI, but that means I'm dry dry dry down there (the lubrication helps relieve dryness). I have issues with loose/soft stools since my major surgery. Had part of my lower colon removed right next to my rectum. The urge to toot is the same as the urge to poop. I literally can't tell the difference anymore!!! I also a weakened anal muscle so I'm wiping both ends every time I go to the bathroom to keep myself as clean as possible and use copious amount of wet wipes at home. If I don't do this, I get UTI's every other month. I truly believe because I don't have those protective fluids that would help shield against contamination and because I'm unprotected down there, all it takes is a little bit to cause a UTI. I actually keep a few macrobid pills handy just in case but I've visited Urgent care twice already this year for UTI. I attribute this to a lot of traveling that I've done and not being as vigilant while away from home. By the end of Feb, I've included heading to the pharmacy to buy wet wipes no matter what city I'm in as a part of my routine and it's seemed to have help. I also only use water to clean below the belt because I noticed that soaps seem to contribute to UTI's as well. Whenever I feel something coming, I immediately take a pill and see a doctor.

• bluesmama
    bluesmama Member Posts: 125 Member
    DM_K said:

What type of wet wipes are

What type of wet wipes are you using?  Maybe try using one specifically made for the vaginal area if you aren't already.

Maybe one of these might help.  https://beatsofhealth.com/best-vaginal-wipes/

Huggies natural seem to work for me!

Anything with alcohol, fragrance, etc, I avoid.

• Kaleena
    bluesmama said:

Ugh~

Yep.  Sounds like me!   I don't have much feeling down there.  The doctor said that from the major surgery that nerves were cut.   I am just now getting some sensation back.  I'll have to try the wet wipes.   Its something I really need to get me clean.   Thanks for the tip.