Weight loss

jroby55
jroby55 Member Posts: 40

When is unexplained weight loss a concern? I weigh at the same time every day and lately I have been eating more (an not all clean but mostly lower sodium) and have lost about 5 lbs. over the last week (I weight right around 200 lbs). I went to my PCP and he said that if the weight loss continues and hits 20-40lbs. in 6 months they will look at it more then but isn't concnered. I know I probably jumped the gun with going in a little early but given the circumstance of my history and how I've been eating and still losing it concerned me.  

I had a radical nephrectomy back in November and they do not believe it spread, found negative margins and did not have aggressive features like sarcomatoid and rhabdoid. 

Thank you guys!

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Weight Loss

A 5 or 10 lb weight loss or gain should not be a concern. Listen to your Doctors comments.

icemantoo

• jroby55
    icemantoo said:

Weight Loss

A 5 or 10 lb weight loss or gain should not be a concern. Listen to your Doctors comments.

icemantoo

Thank you!

Thank you!

• en8236
    en8236 Member Posts: 30 Member
    Most likely stress

If you have something coming back in 3 months, it is more likely to be too small to create any symptom, let alone weight loss. There is more chance to have a recurrence/metastasis (if any) spotted in your follow up scans. I would suggest not to embark on a "treasure hunt" journey on google, as most of the symptoms you would find will be vague, generic and ambiguous... and it will make you believe you have all. This is from personal experience.

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited March 2019 #5
    Hello,

Hello,

5lbs can "dissapear" purely because you have less water/gas, etc in the body at the moment of weighting. It is a very small number of no concern.

At the same time I see that you've created several posts recently, it could be a clue that you are rather stressed about your health (which is normal after cancer diagnosis). People do lose lots of weight due to stress, this is the most logical explanation. 

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Totally agree with Allochka.

Totally agree with Allochka. Water weight alone can fluctuate several pounds and 5 is really nothing. Unless you have a super expensive super accurate scale, those too can be off by a couple of pounds from day to day.

• jroby55
    en8236 said:

Most likely stress

If you have something coming back in 3 months, it is more likely to be too small to create any symptom, let alone weight loss. There is more chance to have a recurrence/metastasis (if any) spotted in your follow up scans. I would suggest not to embark on a "treasure hunt" journey on google, as most of the symptoms you would find will be vague, generic and ambiguous... and it will make you believe you have all. This is from personal experience.

Thank you so much... I have

Thank you so much... I have been on that treasure hunt several times. I am trying to find the balance between not being overly vigilant and neglectful. It's a tough balance to strike right now for me. Thank you!

• jroby55
    Allochka said:

Hello,

Hello,

5lbs can "dissapear" purely because you have less water/gas, etc in the body at the moment of weighting. It is a very small number of no concern.

At the same time I see that you've created several posts recently, it could be a clue that you are rather stressed about your health (which is normal after cancer diagnosis). People do lose lots of weight due to stress, this is the most logical explanation. 

I think you are pretty

I think you are pretty accurate. I am trying to chill with the worrying, it just gets the better of me more often than I want right now.

• jroby55
    APny said:

Totally agree with Allochka.

Totally agree with Allochka. Water weight alone can fluctuate several pounds and 5 is really nothing. Unless you have a super expensive super accurate scale, those too can be off by a couple of pounds from day to day.

Thank you, I will wait it out

Thank you, I will wait it out and relax!