Need advice... Doctor recommend yearly scan

rn1774
rn1774 Member Posts: 11 Member

I am 40 year old DX in May 2018 with a tumor4.6 cm, well contained, no spread, stage 1b tumor, grade 4.

Partial nephrectomy, Clear cell with Sarcomatoid and Necrosis features.

I am currently see Dr.Randall at UCSD- Koman Family Outpatient Pavilion. 

August 2018, my 3 month post surgery CT scan is NED.

Today I went to see my doctor for 6 month CT scan result also NED. Blood work result look great.

So now my doctor recommend for me to have 6 month office visit and blood work and yearly scan.

He reason is because of my age and stage 1b, he doesn't want me to expose to much radiation and it's a standard guideline for yearly scan.

My question is that should I get second opinion on my doctor recommend yearly scan or my doctor doing the right thing base on the guideline

Comments

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Your schedule sounds very

Your schedule sounds very much like mine.  I had a baby lesion.....1.8 cm.....chromophobe.  My original schedule was six month scans for two years, then annual.  But I was switched to annual after the first scan.  Same reason.....not to be exposed to too much radiation.

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    It sounds similar to mine and

It sounds similar to mine and of others on here. It is good that the doctor wants to keep you from radiation exposure. Congratulations on being NED!

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Sounds like within the guidelines

Sometimes the guidelines are a little grey and there is always a secon opinion out there that may be aliitle more aggressive. No one right or wrong answer, but you should be fine.

icemantoo

• lobbyist0724
    lobbyist0724 Member Posts: 515 Member
    My doctor said the same thing

My doctor said the same thing regarding radiation exposure as I was younger too 42. That's why he ordered Ultrasound and chest x-ray every 4 months for the first 2 years. I would suggest you to ask for the same because of the higher grade too. Take care.

There are also guideline from AUA and other association that you can use as a reference.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    I agree with lobbyist. At

I agree with lobbyist. At least get an US every six months. I only went to yearly after 2 1/2 years of NED follow ups every six months. I was stage 1a, grade 3. 

• CRashster
    CRashster Member Posts: 241 Member
    I’m yearly.

im also on yearly scans. He probably also orders the scan with contrast, which isn’t good for kidney function.

• Manufred
    Manufred Member Posts: 241 Member
    Precautionary

With no METS to monitor, they are only looking for something that might or might not appear.  So 12 monthly is probably OK as mRCC mets typically dont grow all that quickly.

Just hope that if there is something there, that they pick it up immediately.  My hobby-horse, I know, but accuracy of detection of small mets in organs such as livers and pancreas needs to get more reliable.

Fewer CT scans is probably better for anyone than more, although I am happy to go every three months at present, as part of the trial follow-up protocol.

Best wishes, Fred

• ImNotDeadYet
    ImNotDeadYet Member Posts: 244
    edited February 2019 #9
    Second opinions can't hurt

I think the answer to the question, "Should I get a second opinion?" is almost always, "Yes." 

• gingersnaps
    gingersnaps Member Posts: 67 Member
    edited February 2019 #10
    how long.

When my son went for his 6 yr. ultrasound the urologist told him that's all that is required. No more scans. 42 yrs. old. Chromophobe t1a  grade 3. They don't grade chromophobe everywhere because the Furman is n/a for chromophobe. Just wondering how long other drs. have said they will scan?

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member

how long.

When my son went for his 6 yr. ultrasound the urologist told him that's all that is required. No more scans. 42 yrs. old. Chromophobe t1a  grade 3. They don't grade chromophobe everywhere because the Furman is n/a for chromophobe. Just wondering how long other drs. have said they will scan?

Get a second opinion

Ginger,

I am still getting US after 16 1/2 years although it is now every 18 months to 2 years. In fact I am going tomorrow. At my age the Uro is more focusad on my PSA.

Icemantoo