normal for partial nephrectomy folks?

KMIN
KMIN Member Posts: 4

Hi, I just joined and i think I posted this initially on the wrong thread; sorry. :(

I'm a woman, 65, who had a stage 1 tumor in my right kidney, removed via partial nephrectomy 3 1/2 years ago. Just had my annual scan and it came back clear. YAY. Question: when I looked at the accompanying urine/blood work online, it showed 50 EYR/ul --which my online Dr. Googling shows to be an abnormal amount of red blood cells in the urine (microscopic hematuria). I tried to call my doc but I think he'd left early for the weekend. I know he's told me the scarring/healing on the kidney he took a bite out of is continuing its healing process, that the scar tissue continues to decrease each year, on par with what he expects. Does anyone know if the presence of microscopic hematuria is normal during this process? Or something I should be concerned about? I'm sure I'll hear something back from him when he's back next week but in the meantime I'm trying not to obsess. Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    I used google and came up with this.

Don't panic. Microscopic hematuria has been reported in up to 18% of routine urine tests, and in most cases, the red warning flag turns out to be a red herring. So the next step is to submit another couple of urine specimens that are properly collected (see "The urinalysis"). If two or more specimens have RBCs, further evaluation is in order.

icemantoo

• KMIN
    KMIN Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2018 #3
    icemantoo said:

I used google and came up with this.

Don't panic. Microscopic hematuria has been reported in up to 18% of routine urine tests, and in most cases, the red warning flag turns out to be a red herring. So the next step is to submit another couple of urine specimens that are properly collected (see "The urinalysis"). If two or more specimens have RBCs, further evaluation is in order.

icemantoo

Thank you, icemantoo.

Thank you, icemantoo.

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    My whole merry-go-round with

My whole merry-go-round with RCC started when a routine physical uncovered microscopic amounts of blood in my urine.  That was in December, 2013.  Zfter a CT showed a lesion on my right kidney, I was referred to a urologic oncologist at Stanford University.  I asked him about the blood and he said that it was not likely to be related to the lesion.  Because the lesion was so small, I was on actibe surveillance for another 2-1/2 years before an ultrasond determined that the little sucker had slightly grown, so we got it out at the time.  But in the time between my initial diagnosis and the time that I got the lesion removed, I had two or three other urine exams, all with no trace of blood in the urine.  When I asked the oncologist about that, his reply was pretty much akin to "I dunno.....it happens sometimes".

In looking at the literature, I did find that runners tend to have a higher frequency of blood in the urine and I am a recreational runner.  So, perhaps, it just so happened that the stars aligned that one time to lead my primary care physician to order the CT that, ultimately, got the cancer out at a very early stage.