One year down...

LMCRJB13
LMCRJB13 Member Posts: 84

It was one year ago today that I heard the words - "you likely have kidney cancer - in each kidney."  The immediate days after that were all a blur.  Luckily, I found this site which brought some hope and a lot of perspective. 

I learned through my own research that there was a highly regarded, NCI/NIH trained urologic oncologist at the local cancer center here in Syracuse, NY.  For his seven year fellowship at NCI all he did was treat kidney cancer patients.  I emailed him and he replied the next morning and got me in that same day.  That was a relief.

Several scans, two surgeries, genetic testing and further scans made for quite the ride.  A year later, I'm NED and finally getting back into a fitness routine...ran two continuous miles last night for the first time in a year!  I felt proud.  I was running at least 3.5 miles prior.  Slowly but surely, I’ll get back there.

I thank you all for the support, knowledge and wisdom.  Together, we've got this!

Have an awesome weekend – get out there and do something fun!

Cheers,

Ryan   

Comments

• cboone75
    cboone75 Member Posts: 43
    Congrats on the first year

Congrats on the first year down and hope for many more!  Good to hear the fitness is getting back on track.  I went out and hiked Mt Moriah in Nh last weekend, practically liked to kill me...figuratively not literally!  

• LMCRJB13
    cboone75 said:

Congrats on the first year

Congrats on the first year down and hope for many more!  Good to hear the fitness is getting back on track.  I went out and hiked Mt Moriah in Nh last weekend, practically liked to kill me...figuratively not literally!  

Thanks a lot, man.  There

Thanks a lot, man.  There will definitely be some hiking in my near future.  The Adirondacks are fairly close to me...love being out there.

As for this weekend...tailgating, football and a few barley pops.

Ryan  

• cboone75
    cboone75 Member Posts: 43
    We are workign on New

We are workign on New Hampshires 48 4000 footers...this past weekend was my half way point and I am determined to finish the list.  I want to get over to NY to get into the Adirondacks...looks awesome over there.  

Kids soccer tonight and tomorrow for me, then kick back and watch some football on Sunday.  Enjoy!

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Many more years to come

Ryan,

You sre just getting started.

icemantoo

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Congratulations, Ryan

Keep pounding those miles, Ryan.  Soon you'll be ready for another 5k.  Wishing you all the best, my friend.

Take care,

Stub 

• CRashster
    CRashster Member Posts: 241 Member
    Smokey Mountains

Hey hikers! I get to the Smoky Mountains as often as I can. Even been on the AT for a couple nights.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    So happy for your good news!

So happy for your good news! Uncle Ned seems to have been busy this month :)

• daisybud
    daisybud Member Posts: 541 Member
    Thats super news!

I love hearing the neds news too!

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    Congrats on getting back in the groove

Congrats on getting back in the groove of a fitness routine. It's been hard for me to reboot, but this is a great time of year to restart. 

• Bart1978
    Bart1978 Member Posts: 28 Member
    edited October 2018 #11
    Congratulations

on your successful forward path. It's been 6 weeks since my partial. I've been walking a lot and have returned to the ellipticaL. Not cleared for running yet but can't wait as that is the best rush. It's awesome to hear about your progress. Cheers.

• JoeyZ
    JoeyZ Member Posts: 210 Member
    Thanks for your great,

Thanks for your great, inspiring message, Ryan. You bring hope to us all. I sure do hope also that this is just your new beginning, and you have decades of great years ahead of you.

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    Brilliant News

You had a very very tough 12 months

hope you can a few more decent miles on the old legs going over winter

peace and love

Annie

• lobbyist0724
    lobbyist0724 Member Posts: 515 Member
    Glad to hear that you are

Glad to hear that you are pretty much recovered. I was told exercise could be the only non-treatment method to prevent recurrent, keep it up!

• LMCRJB13
    edited October 2018 #15
    Many thanks to all!  Step by

Many thanks to all!  Step by step, day by day - with some fun along the way.

Have an awesome Wednesday!

Ryan

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    Congratulations

Congratulations

Thanks for sharing the good news

Cheers