MUCUS IN MY STOOL

Hi. I was diagnosed colon cancer last september 2016. I had colon resection but no colostomy. Doctor said my colon cancer is stage 3C and i needed to have chemo. But the news itself of having

cancer terrified a lot in me much more hearing that i needed to have chemotherapy to eradicate cancer cells that has not been seen during surgery. I was mentally block not knowing what the

right thing to do. Doctors became my mind's enemy thinking that they are just polluting my mind so that they can take more money from us (i'm really sorry with the words but im confused and

terrified during these days). So we didn't, until such time my cea results were slowly increasing this has caught our attention. Aside from the fact that im feeling a painful sensation below from my

anus up to my sensitve part. Year 2017 we went back to the hospital for a follow-up check-ups and my doctor conducted another set of blood test, ctscan and colonoscopy.Blood test was okay but

not with my cea, colonoscopy was not entirely okay because my doctor saw slightly engorge near where my colon was being re-attached. They took sample for biopsy. Thankfully it was not

cancer, it was due to surgery. But my ctscan shows a mass in between my douglas pouch and ovary, doctors were not certain if it is cancerous or not but they believed it was because of my rising

cea. We decided to have chemo (oral) for 4 cycles. I have minimal side effects skin color of my hands and feet were turning black, tingling feeling in my feet. slight nausea and bloating. 

After my last cycle 2 weeks my doctor conducted another ctscan wherein they found out that the mass shrunk. My doctor requested to have chemoradiation in which i also finished but the problem

is i had proctitis. There is mucus discharge in my anus but this is not daily, sometimes i have and sometimes it doesnt. Right now when I have loose stool there is a mucus-brownish yellow is this

normal? have you experienced this one too?

thank you very much 

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Treatment

Some treatment can cause the mucus but if you have started radiation that definitely can.  It would be wise to contact your doctor if it continues.  It's scary all the things that can go wrong during treatment.  I'm glad to hear the mass shrunk and the treatment seems to be working.  Hopefully it will continue to go down even more.

Kim

• sylvia_mae
    sylvia_mae Member Posts: 37
    edited October 2018 #3

Treatment

Some treatment can cause the mucus but if you have started radiation that definitely can.  It would be wise to contact your doctor if it continues.  It's scary all the things that can go wrong during treatment.  I'm glad to hear the mass shrunk and the treatment seems to be working.  Hopefully it will continue to go down even more.

Kim

thank u for your response kim

thank u for your response kim. i am planning to but i doesnt happen as always. i will try to observed it if it still happens i will immediately go to my doctor and inform you as well. by the way how are you kim? 

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    After a resection this is not

After a resection this is not unusual. The colon keeps creating mucous to move stool along, whether there's still there or not. Various things can create more or less. Just being on antibiotics can make it worse. What I find is that it just sits inside of me until there's enough to come out. So I can go weeks with nothing and then suddenly have a lot or I'll have a little bit every day. I think the problem is that when we have normal bowel function there's always new 'stuff' to push things along. When we've had a bowel resection- I'm assuming you have an ostomy of some kind?- there's nothing to encourage movement.

I think there are several people on here, including me, who have to use pads quite often or even every day due to this issue. Nevertheless, you should tell your doctor but don't be surprised if he's not concerned about it. 

Jan

• sylvia_mae
    JanJan63 said:

After a resection this is not

After a resection this is not unusual. The colon keeps creating mucous to move stool along, whether there's still there or not. Various things can create more or less. Just being on antibiotics can make it worse. What I find is that it just sits inside of me until there's enough to come out. So I can go weeks with nothing and then suddenly have a lot or I'll have a little bit every day. I think the problem is that when we have normal bowel function there's always new 'stuff' to push things along. When we've had a bowel resection- I'm assuming you have an ostomy of some kind?- there's nothing to encourage movement.

I think there are several people on here, including me, who have to use pads quite often or even every day due to this issue. Nevertheless, you should tell your doctor but don't be surprised if he's not concerned about it. 

Jan

hi jan. yes i did tell her

hi jan. yes i did tell her about it and she said its okay as long as there is no blood and my stomach is not aching. i don't have ostomy, mine were cut and re-attached with normal bowel movement. i am just being paranoid to be honest, i get easily scared. for almost 2 years and a half i have been checking my stool everytime i went to defecate monitoring its shape, color and etc. it became my habit even though doctors always tells me my colon is okay. they are now focusing on the outsides of my intestine.   in which they advise me to monitor from time to time.

thank u for your reply. very much appreciated.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

hi jan. yes i did tell her

hi jan. yes i did tell her about it and she said its okay as long as there is no blood and my stomach is not aching. i don't have ostomy, mine were cut and re-attached with normal bowel movement. i am just being paranoid to be honest, i get easily scared. for almost 2 years and a half i have been checking my stool everytime i went to defecate monitoring its shape, color and etc. it became my habit even though doctors always tells me my colon is okay. they are now focusing on the outsides of my intestine.   in which they advise me to monitor from time to time.

thank u for your reply. very much appreciated.

I think your response to this

I think your response to this is normal. We have no control over this. We do our treatments like the doctors told us and hopefully it works but there's no guarantee. So you try to have some small amount of control over it. Completely understandible. 

How are you supposed to monitor the outside of your intestines?

Jan

• sylvia_mae
    edited October 2018 #7
    JanJan63 said:

I think your response to this

I think your response to this is normal. We have no control over this. We do our treatments like the doctors told us and hopefully it works but there's no guarantee. So you try to have some small amount of control over it. Completely understandible. 

How are you supposed to monitor the outside of your intestines?

Jan

Doctor said if there is

Doctor said if there is sudden onset pain in my stomach, color of urine, stool consistency, color of my eyes, fatigue, nausea, fever and etc. (i forgot but she have plenty of instructions) i need to go back to her clinic as soon as possible. i think she's talking about of my other vital organs since ctscan has showed nothing. she wanted me to have a pet scan but its quite expensive here in my country

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member

thank u for your response kim

thank u for your response kim. i am planning to but i doesnt happen as always. i will try to observed it if it still happens i will immediately go to my doctor and inform you as well. by the way how are you kim? 

Good

I'm doing good and thank you for asking.  You will notice a lot of change going on that the doctors never tell you about and it's good that you have found us.  We can help you get through it all. 

Kim

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,792 Member
    edited October 2018 #9

Doctor said if there is

Doctor said if there is sudden onset pain in my stomach, color of urine, stool consistency, color of my eyes, fatigue, nausea, fever and etc. (i forgot but she have plenty of instructions) i need to go back to her clinic as soon as possible. i think she's talking about of my other vital organs since ctscan has showed nothing. she wanted me to have a pet scan but its quite expensive here in my country

Money

Our previous insurance company would always refuse to allow a  PET Scan, but my Oncologist (and his staff) would fight the fight for me.  It was through the PET that my liver tumour was detected. The CT scan did not pick up on it.  

I would reconsider the PET if you really think something is going on. 

But, as others have stated, mucus in the stool is not unusual. 

Good luck. Its a hard road with many decisions. 

Tru

• sylvia_mae
    Trubrit said:

Money

Our previous insurance company would always refuse to allow a  PET Scan, but my Oncologist (and his staff) would fight the fight for me.  It was through the PET that my liver tumour was detected. The CT scan did not pick up on it.  

I would reconsider the PET if you really think something is going on. 

But, as others have stated, mucus in the stool is not unusual. 

Good luck. Its a hard road with many decisions. 

Tru

Money

Hi Trubrit. I'll give it a try my doctor told me that they have a promo discount for patients who wanted to avail for PETSCAN. My Insurance has reach its maximum limit that is why every test that I am going to have will be shouldered by my own. My doctros have also helped me in many ways to lessen my expenses.

You know what even if how hard I try to keep on fighting for my disease still money is an issue. Sad truth. But nevertheless this is why I was given the chance that despite of being sick I am still able to work. My current job with the help of my co-workers makes my job a lot eassier. 

Thank you Trubrit