breast cancer and lymph nodes

I'm triple positive invasive right breast ductal carcinoma.  In reading my right breast ultrasound, it states ancillary nodes do not appear swollen.  My bilateral MRI states the same along with internal mammary nodes do not appear swollen.  Wonder if anyone knows answer to this:  would these nodes remain swollen if cancer cells passed through them, or could they go back to normal size? I'm doing chemo now, then mastectomy, then more chemo.  Thanks for any insight you may have.  Love to you all.

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    I'm pretty sure you can have

I'm pretty sure you can have cancer cells present without swelling but you better ask your surgeon. It sounds like you are treating your cancer aggressively (I am triple pos and did the same) so I really think you shouldn't worry about this detail. Chemo is likely to kill off any newly growing cells and then your mastectomy will get the main cancer out of your body. Good luck (I'm 3 years out myself)...Hugs, Anna

• bevaschia
    bevaschia Member Posts: 53
    button2 said:

I'm pretty sure you can have

I'm pretty sure you can have cancer cells present without swelling but you better ask your surgeon. It sounds like you are treating your cancer aggressively (I am triple pos and did the same) so I really think you shouldn't worry about this detail. Chemo is likely to kill off any newly growing cells and then your mastectomy will get the main cancer out of your body. Good luck (I'm 3 years out myself)...Hugs, Anna

Thank you, Anna.  

Thank you, Anna.  

• marionkluges
    marionkluges Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2018 #4
    triple positive

did you go through chemo and how was it? dr is pushing to get the chemo done.i get so sick but she asured me i will get nausea meds before during and after. so happy for you that that it worked for you.  i dont see many people with this triple postive to et any feedback. would appreciate any that you have.  

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member

triple positive

did you go through chemo and how was it? dr is pushing to get the chemo done.i get so sick but she asured me i will get nausea meds before during and after. so happy for you that that it worked for you.  i dont see many people with this triple postive to et any feedback. would appreciate any that you have.  

I was a two.

They did surgery and then chemo.  It sucked big time.  I am a year and half done with chemo.  It does get better over time.  Some side effects are long term.  You learn to deal with it because you really dont have a choice.   We get through it because we are warriors.  

Hugs

annie

• laralee
    laralee Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2018 #6

Hello.  I had a total mastectomy/lymph node removal in 1999.  Thought that was it.  Terrible experience. Then a few months ago I found a totally different type of cancer in the other side.  Went through TCHP/Neulasta four cycles (did not tolerate it well at all).  Just had another total mastectomy and lymph node removal.  Pathology report a few days ago says no cancer found !  Do I need more Herceptin - any studies ?

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    laralee said:

Hello.  I had a total mastectomy/lymph node removal in 1999.  Thought that was it.  Terrible experience. Then a few months ago I found a totally different type of cancer in the other side.  Went through TCHP/Neulasta four cycles (did not tolerate it well at all).  Just had another total mastectomy and lymph node removal.  Pathology report a few days ago says no cancer found !  Do I need more Herceptin - any studies ?

ugh, so sorry you had to do again...

Iaralee,

I am so sorry your doing it again.  I had to follow up with Herceptin.  No cancer found in nodes, is that what you meant?   I think you just gotta weigh it and do what you think is best for you.   

I pray it is all successful for you and please keep us updated.

Hugs,

Annie