Just found out I dodged a bullet

JanJan63
JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

I went for my after surgery appointment today. It turns out they did find cancer in my small intestine. They removed it and took out 8 lymph nodes of which 0 had cancer. We had no idea it was there and, if I hadn't had the fistulas and the surgery we'd have probably never known until it was too late. I feel like I won the lottery. I feel so blessed. I am so very grateful.

I'm still tired from the surgery but he said he's surprised I'm not more tired because it was such a big surgery. It's been five weeks. So I guess I'm doing okay.

I am s happy to be alive!

Jan

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Alive

Sometimes good news comes in strange ways.  We are all glad you are alive as well.

• JanJan63

Alive

Sometimes good news comes in strange ways.  We are all glad you are alive as well.

Aw, thank you! I'd call it a

Aw, thank you! I'd call it a blessing in disguise. 

Jan

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Like Seeing Good News

Seemed to be a couple of hits for us older timers around here.  Like seeing some good news JJ. 

• JanJan63
    NewHere said:

Like Seeing Good News

Seemed to be a couple of hits for us older timers around here.  Like seeing some good news JJ. 

Thanks! Wuldn't it be

Thanks! Wuldn't it be wonderful if everyone got good news? When I get bad news I feel somehow more comfortable with it, like I almost deserve it. When it's good news I feel unworthy. What's wrong with my thinking?

Jan

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    edited October 2018 #6
    One of the things

That doesn't get mentioned with survival is that it sure helps when you have a slice of luck everynow and then. I'm glad you got lucky with the small intestine met. Wishing you continued good luck and health. Ron.

• JanJan63
    Thank you Ron! I'm on cloud 9

Thank you Ron! I'm on cloud 9!

Jan

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Celebrate

You certainly deserve the break - some good news.  Time to celebrate, I think.

Tru

• JanJan63
    Thanks Tru! I'm so used to

Thanks Tru! I'm so used to bad news by now that it's really hit me. I'm so happy. I've had good news a couple of times now, I still can hardly believe it.

Jan

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    JanJan63 said:

Thanks! Wuldn't it be

Thanks! Wuldn't it be wonderful if everyone got good news? When I get bad news I feel somehow more comfortable with it, like I almost deserve it. When it's good news I feel unworthy. What's wrong with my thinking?

Jan

Yup

Somehow always bracing for bad news works.  And I have (or had) some of the guilt when I get good news.  Like having overall better dealing with my first round of chemo and good blood work.  Cancer really messes with you on so many levels.

But smile and enjoy this JJ.

• plsletitrain
    plsletitrain Member Posts: 252 Member
    Aw Jan, I'm so happy for you

Gosh you've been through much but I'm so happy it was caught and removed.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Wonderful

That is great news.  I'm glad you had the fortunate fact to go in for one thing and get a great result because of it.  Wonderful.  Thank you for sharing that.

Kim

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....great news

yaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....great news!

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    So happy for you that they

So happy for you that they found it and took care of it. 

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Great news!

These little surprises keep coming up!

• JanJan63
    edited October 2018 #16
    Thank you all! 
    Jan

Thank you all! 

Jan

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    So happy

So happy for you that they were able to remove the cancer!! Ihonestly feel that surgical removal has a better outcome than chemo but I know its not an option for everyone. Hope all the news you get from here on out is GOOD news!!! Same for everyone here!!!

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    Great news!

i am a firm believer in everything happening for a reason, although I wish things could happen a lot easier for you!

• JanJan63
    Thank you both! I still have

Thank you both! I still have the mets in my left lung but chemo will deal with that. I've had great success with the Panitumumab despite not having been able to finish a round yet. I'll be back on it in a few weeks, though, once I've fully recovered from the surgery. 

I feel like my cancer battle hasn't been too terrible. I've had odd things that most people rarely get but really, it's coming up on five years since diagnosis and I was able to work for a year and a half during that time and I'm still here. While I could never have anticipated how horrible it would be I also didn't imagine that five years out I'd be fairly normal. I'll never be what I was but it's okay. I'm here and I have had stage four cancer for a few years and I'm doing pretty well considering. I enjoy life for the main part. I don't ride my horse as much as I used to and I can't show him anymore but he's getting older, too, so that's okay. If I take it slow I can do many things that are hard to do.

In a weird way it's almost a relief to have it. It's the big boogeyman that everyone is scared of. I don't have to worry about getting it anymore. And my doctors are on top of it. The worst is over. I don't know if my feelings are strange or if anyone else feels this way. I feel like 'okay, now I know how I'll likely die'. I don't have to worry about getting really old and living in a nursing home not knowing my family and wearing a diaper. Or the aches and pains that come with being really old. Or the loneliness when all my friends are gone. People having to come and visit me out of a sense of duty because I'm not me anymore. To be honest, I like knowing that won't happen.

Jan

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Dang, girl!

I feel like my cancer battle hasn't been too terrible. 

You are one tenacious lady.   Having followed your ups and downs for the last four years, I am impressed that you can say that.  You have been through the ringer, as we would say in England. 

Your positive, strong will, will take you far.  Don't rule out old age quite yet; though I don't wish you to become decrepit in any shape or form. 

Tru

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    More good news, glad things

More good news, glad things are rolling in the right direction for you, who deserves it more? Your philosophical take on old age has me smiling, once life has knocked you around a bit, you know your not as vulnerable or threatened by circumstance. It's also a plus that since they're monitoring us closely, few things can sneak up on us healthwise, like the regular folk. Mostly your positive take on maybe missing out on the more negative aspects of aging and loss had me singing an old Cat Steven's song 'Moonshadow". If you get a chance to hear it or read the lyrics, you'll know why. Hang tough, lady you inspire......................Dave.