New article on Cimetidine

SandiaBuddy
SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
edited April 2018 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Here's a new article on Cimetidine (the antacid, Tagamet) reducing cancer recurrence (sorry, abstract only): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29630589  Despite being a very small sample, the results are interesting:

Twenty-six percent (10/38) received perioperative cimetidine (mean daily dose, 750 mg; mean duration, 369 days; mean total cumulative cimetidine dose, 274,070 mg/d) in addition to chemotherapy. Time to recurrence and cancer deaths were prolonged in the chemotherapy plus cimetidine group compared with the group that received chemotherapy alone (mean ± SD: 1078 ± 290 vs. 446 ± 62; P = 0.03). 

Prior post on Cimetidine: https://csn.cancer.org/node/314369

Comments

• Tunadog
    Tunadog Member Posts: 235 Member
    Thanks

Thanks

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    shaking my head

Thanks.  I can only shake my head at the time, disability (e.g. Folfox) and lives lost without cimetidine and CA199 being part of active CRC treatment at  diagnosis, since 1996 or 2002.

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    Will ask about this!

Thank you for sharing. This is one of those things I keep forgetting to ask my Oncologists about. Will write this down for next visit. 

• sflgirl
    sflgirl Member Posts: 220 Member
    edited April 2018 #5
    tanstaafl said:

shaking my head

Thanks.  I can only shake my head at the time, disability (e.g. Folfox) and lives lost without cimetidine and CA199 being part of active CRC treatment at  diagnosis, since 1996 or 2002.

Only at onset ?

if one has already had chemo/surgery and a recurrence, would there be any benefit to using cimetidine later in the game?

• SandiaBuddy
    sflgirl said:

Only at onset ?

if one has already had chemo/surgery and a recurrence, would there be any benefit to using cimetidine later in the game?

Timing

This abstract suggested it was effective for the first year after surgery.  Others have focused on right around surgery.  Some on the board have taken it long-term, so hopefully someone with more experience or knowledge can answer your question.

• optimist777
    optimist777 Member Posts: 38
    Cimetidine with Aspirin

Just curious is anyone is taking Cimetidine with Aspirin on a long-term basis.  What doses?  Has it seemed to help?  Any negative side effects when taken together?  Maybe it would be better to take them seperately at two times of day?  Thanks.   

• tanstaafl
    edited April 2018 #8
    sflgirl said:

Only at onset ?

study, cim=10

It's too small a study to say anything statistically significant about much. 

However the correlation coefficients are high enough, I want to see the raw data myself.  I get the impression the drs were saying to themselves, "Geez, these surgery patients did so much better if they had any Tagamet at all (e.g. 1 wk before or 1  month total), and longer term, seemed to drop dead 2.9 years after quitting whenever.  Too bad we didn't hear about this sooner." 

• tanstaafl

Cimetidine with Aspirin

Just curious is anyone is taking Cimetidine with Aspirin on a long-term basis.  What doses?  Has it seemed to help?  Any negative side effects when taken together?  Maybe it would be better to take them seperately at two times of day?  Thanks.   

fyi

I missed this earlier.  My wife takes/took baby aspirin for many years with cimetidine, along with her 5FU drug, supplements and later, celecoxib.   

She has drifted mostly into other adjuncts now, without so much cimetidine and aspirin (very irregular now).

• SandiaBuddy

Cimetidine with Aspirin

C & A

I take the baby aspirin daily, but I take the cimetidine irregulalry but liberally as an antacid.  I have not noticed any ill effects.