Vaginal progression

pato58
pato58 Member Posts: 120 Member

Hi guys, today I had my 1st month follow up and I am still bleeding. Dr looked and felt inside and did notice the bleeding but he said that everything looked how it should be at this time.
He said to see him in 4 months, but no blood work, no Cat Scan.
He also said that if progression happens, it should be in the vagina.
Question for you ladies, can anybody explain to me how do you know you are having vaginal progression if the Dr does not order any tests???
As always, thanks a lot!

Comments

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    Progression or reoccurrence or metastasis

I was told that a symptom of my cancer returning would likely be bloody discharge. The challenge we face is that if we have had radiation it is NOT  uncommon to have blood on toilet paper because our tissues (skin) in our vagina are so thin that sometimes just wiping after urination can cause bleeding . Another symptom could be pain of course. I had see my GYN/ONC every 3 months for 2 or 3 years and then every 6 months until I was 5 years post treatment. 

I was told that if my cancer returned it would likely come back on my vaginal cuff. I am almost 10 years survival and am very blessed to be living one day at a time. Your surveillance with your doctor seems pretty similar to my experience. 

Lori

• pato58

Progression or reoccurrence or metastasis

I was told that a symptom of my cancer returning would likely be bloody discharge. The challenge we face is that if we have had radiation it is NOT  uncommon to have blood on toilet paper because our tissues (skin) in our vagina are so thin that sometimes just wiping after urination can cause bleeding . Another symptom could be pain of course. I had see my GYN/ONC every 3 months for 2 or 3 years and then every 6 months until I was 5 years post treatment. 

I was told that if my cancer returned it would likely come back on my vaginal cuff. I am almost 10 years survival and am very blessed to be living one day at a time. Your surveillance with your doctor seems pretty similar to my experience. 

Lori

Thanks, Lori

your input is important to me:)
    If there is progression to the vaginal cuff, is it considered a metastasis?
    I wonder which is the treatment in that case?

• MrsBerry
    MrsBerry Member Posts: 102 Member
    edited August 2018 #4
    I blelieve it is not unusual

I blelieve it is not unusual to still have bleeding a month after surgery. I have a friend who experienced this. I, too, had some bleeding that started around 4 months after surgery. In both cases, it was simply that the inside of the vagina is dark and moist, not very conducive to healing of the cuff, so it can take a while. My doc used silver nitrate to cauterize the cuff and that was that. 

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    pato58 said:

Thanks, Lori

your input is important to me:)
    If there is progression to the vaginal cuff, is it considered a metastasis?
    I wonder which is the treatment in that case?

It would be considered a

It would be considered a local recurrence, which has a better prognosis. Often managed (and cured) with radiation.

• pato58
    Thank you

Lisa ans Mrs Berry.
    So I read about silver nitrate, but my Doc never mentioned it. Is that what is called hysterectomy granulation?
    The gyn-onc is very good but it seems that words are not part of his bedside mannerUndecided
    So Lisa, does a vag cuff progression change your stage and/or prognosis, or not?
    Appreciate your answers, as always

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member
    I had a little bleeding for 6

I had a little bleeding for 6 weeks or so. The Dr said that was normal.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    pato58 said:

Thank you

Lisa ans Mrs Berry.
    So I read about silver nitrate, but my Doc never mentioned it. Is that what is called hysterectomy granulation?
    The gyn-onc is very good but it seems that words are not part of his bedside mannerUndecided
    So Lisa, does a vag cuff progression change your stage and/or prognosis, or not?
    Appreciate your answers, as always

Strictly speaking, a

Strictly speaking, a recurrence doesn't change your stage. You will always be, for example, a stage 1, even if it goes to your lungs. You'd become a stage 1 with a distant recurrence. It's  a little hard to wrap your brain around. Your original stage does still influence your prognosis even after a distant recurrence. 

Recurrences are described as local, regional, and distant. The more localized, the better, in terms of prognosis. Although a local vaginal recurrence can indeed be cured, it's not guaranteed. So yes, it's a worse prognosis than no recurrence, but better than regional or distant recurrences. A distant recurrence is not considered curable, although results are widely variable.

Strictly speaking, restaging refers to correcting the original staging when it was wrong. But in practical terms, people will go ahead and speak of their cancer in terms of their new stage (for example, if they started as stage 1, but develop mets to the lung, they will say they are stage 4). It may not be strictly correct, but it makes so much more sense to most of us.

I wanted to add that I did have some bleeding (not heavy) for 6 weeks after surgery. It eventually did stop, all on it's own.

• pato58
    LisaPizza said:

Strictly speaking, a

Strictly speaking, a recurrence doesn't change your stage. You will always be, for example, a stage 1, even if it goes to your lungs. You'd become a stage 1 with a distant recurrence. It's  a little hard to wrap your brain around. Your original stage does still influence your prognosis even after a distant recurrence. 

Recurrences are described as local, regional, and distant. The more localized, the better, in terms of prognosis. Although a local vaginal recurrence can indeed be cured, it's not guaranteed. So yes, it's a worse prognosis than no recurrence, but better than regional or distant recurrences. A distant recurrence is not considered curable, although results are widely variable.

Strictly speaking, restaging refers to correcting the original staging when it was wrong. But in practical terms, people will go ahead and speak of their cancer in terms of their new stage (for example, if they started as stage 1, but develop mets to the lung, they will say they are stage 4). It may not be strictly correct, but it makes so much more sense to most of us.

I wanted to add that I did have some bleeding (not heavy) for 6 weeks after surgery. It eventually did stop, all on it's own.

Lisa

I appreciate a lot your detailed explanation.
    I wish my Dr would be half as approachable as you have been Kiss
    Take care

• pato58

I had a little bleeding for 6

I had a little bleeding for 6 weeks or so. The Dr said that was normal.

Thank you

barnyardgal