Lung Cavity after Lobectomy

calilycomic
calilycomic Member Posts: 2

I had an upper right lobectomy on February 1, 2018.  Had a few complications, 10 days in ICU, and have had oxygen problems since.  My doctor feels that once my "empty cavity" fills up, the oxygen will come back.  I was using less oxygen, but then when I got back to normal life, commuting to work, shopping etc., my oxygen levels have gone down.  Yesterday was as low as 53.  Anyway, has anyone experienced a slow cavity fill?  I do have lifelong asthma, but I never needed oxygen, and I do have some granulomas, which the doctor really doesn't want to call Sarcoidosis.

Anyone have this type of issue?  I would appreciate any input.  Thank you.

Comments

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    calilycomic...

Hi,

I'm sorry you are having this concern. I had a left lower lobe lobectomy 3 years ago and though once released from the hospital did not require further oxygen, about a year after surgery I seemed to have occasional shortness of breath and wheezing. My CT scan at the time showed no issue and was followed by chest x-ray, EKG, echo, and stress test, to no avail! I am on warfarin for a blood clot that was found shortly after surgery. Oddly, now the shortness of breath while still occasionally there with extreme activity, is often non-existent, yet there was an area of concern on a recent scan????? Its a mystery in the makes I guess!

Lung scarring is very common after surgery and also increases with things like chemo and radiation or scans to that area...we are seldom told of that side effect.

I do remember that it seemed around 6 months post surgery that I was breathing close to normal...well until a year later when I wasn't!

I have a PET scan later this week to try to determine a related issue I am presently dealing with myself.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and I will send virtual good vibes for deep healthy breaths of life your way!

katheryn

• calilycomic
    calilycomic Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2018 #3
    eihtak said:

calilycomic...

Hi,

I'm sorry you are having this concern. I had a left lower lobe lobectomy 3 years ago and though once released from the hospital did not require further oxygen, about a year after surgery I seemed to have occasional shortness of breath and wheezing. My CT scan at the time showed no issue and was followed by chest x-ray, EKG, echo, and stress test, to no avail! I am on warfarin for a blood clot that was found shortly after surgery. Oddly, now the shortness of breath while still occasionally there with extreme activity, is often non-existent, yet there was an area of concern on a recent scan????? Its a mystery in the makes I guess!

Lung scarring is very common after surgery and also increases with things like chemo and radiation or scans to that area...we are seldom told of that side effect.

I do remember that it seemed around 6 months post surgery that I was breathing close to normal...well until a year later when I wasn't!

I have a PET scan later this week to try to determine a related issue I am presently dealing with myself.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and I will send virtual good vibes for deep healthy breaths of life your way!

katheryn

Thank you Katheryn.  I just

Thank you Katheryn.  I just got back to this since I was admitted into the hospital with respiratory failure soon after my post.  Besides everything else I ended up with pnemonia in the bottom of both lungs.  I'm still on oxygen but hoping that after my battle with this infection is finished I get back to the new "normal."  Good luck with your PET scan results and I too am sending good vibes your way.