Need some advice-Update

2»

Comments

• ramaka
    ramaka Member Posts: 55
    edited October 2017 #22
    6 weeks for PSA

Hi VG and Max,

I asked the Dr again about RT and he clarified that he will be doing a PSA 6 weeks post surgery and then wait till the wond completely heals before going in for the 35 RT sessions. VG, I sincerely hope you come back and continue sharing your thoughts and knowledge and help all of us during these times!!

Thank you,

Avi.

• ramaka
    1 month post surgery update

Hi All:

Just wanted to give a 1 month post surgery update-so far so good (touchwood!). My dad has been wearing a diaper at nights and says he can ccontrol the pee at least till the time he reaches the toilet during the day time. He had some lower back pain, which is gradually phasing out. There are a couple of drops of leakage each time he gets up or sits down but the Dr. said t is normal and should get better gradually. His Surgeon said that he will have to go for a PSA the first week of January and then based on the results will decide what the next steps are. Have a wonderful weekend!!

Thank you,

Avi.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    ramaka said:

1 month post surgery update

Hi All:

Just wanted to give a 1 month post surgery update-so far so good (touchwood!). My dad has been wearing a diaper at nights and says he can ccontrol the pee at least till the time he reaches the toilet during the day time. He had some lower back pain, which is gradually phasing out. There are a couple of drops of leakage each time he gets up or sits down but the Dr. said t is normal and should get better gradually. His Surgeon said that he will have to go for a PSA the first week of January and then based on the results will decide what the next steps are. Have a wonderful weekend!!

Thank you,

Avi.

A joyful moment

Avi,

I am glad for the news. I hope the PSA result also adds good news into this joyful moment. Thanks for the update.

I would recommend your dad to get two additional tests before starting the radiation. Request to have the testosterone done (with the PSA) and a colonoscopy to check the colon conditions (colitis, diverticulitis).

Best,

VG

• ramaka
    Thanks again, VG!

Hi VG:

Thanks again. I will ask my dad to have those done when they test for his PSA in January.

Avi.

• ramaka
    Wishing each and every member

Wishing each and every member and their family a Very Happy New Year! May this year bring much joy and happiness to everyone here! 

Just wanted to give an update w.r.t. my dad. He had Prostectomy in September and yesterday he went for his first PSA reading post surgery and it came back at 0.09ng/L. His Dr said he would wait and watch the next couple of months with monthly PSA tests and if the PSA is steadily below 0.2 then its just going to be monitoring hereon. If the PSA rises more than 0.2 then he advised another HT followed by RT. Hoping for the best for my dad! Thanks again for the read and all the valuable advice here!

• VascodaGama
    Starting the year with good news. That's great, congratulations

Best wishes for a good year to you and family. The low PSA is good news. I hope it keeps that level but as you informed before, they found some lymph nodes invasion which do not assure a total success of the surgery at this time. His doctor is proceeding according to NCCN guidelines. I think it proper to check the PSA periodically (every 2 months for six month period) and start any salvage treatment if the PSA rises to 0.20 ng/m. The protocol of the combi therapy (hormonal plus radiation) is the typical way to cases of recurrence. Consider doing the tests I have suggested above.

Best,

VG

• ramaka
    edited January 2018 #28
    Thanks again, VG. I will

Thanks again, VG. I will definitely ask my dad to hve his testostrone and colonoscopy done soon. Have a good rest of the week!

• ramaka
    Hi All:

Hi All:

My dad went for his second PSA reading post his surgery and it came back 0.1 (increase of 0.01 since his last month reading). He is yet to meet his Dr, butu thought of giving an update here. VG, he will get his testosterone as well as get a colonoscopy in the next few months for sure. Thanks again for all your help and read!

Avi.

• Lucys26
    Lucys26 Member Posts: 7
    Hello Ramaka

I am very sorry about your situation. My Dad's condition is almost exactly like your father's. He has had a catheter in for close to two years and underwent radiation therapy for his prostate cancer. The doctor had wanted to do a Turp surgery as well and they had discussed the tube through his stomach, but unfortunately due to his heart, they couldn't go through with either. In regards to your question, I couldn't tell you about the outcome of either of those surgeries, but I know that after radiation your dad should have someone with him. Mine is still bedridden do to his pain and can only walk around for a short amount of time. It helps to have someone there to be able to cook and bring him food. My father also had the dizziness and because of this was unable to drive so it helped to have someone there to bring him to his hospital appointments. I hope everything works out.

• VascodaGama
    PSA=0.1 could be a roundup of 0.09

I think that the lab this time used a different assay for the PSA test. PSA=0.1 could be a roundup of the last value of 0.09. The increase of 0.01 could refer to instruments' noise too. I recommend your dad for doing the test using the same laboratory with supersensitive assays of two decimal digits (PSA= 0.XX ng/ml), because he has no prostate gland in place. Tiny values got meanings if produced in similar assays.

Congratulations for continued low levels.

VG

• ramaka
    Quick Update

Hi All:

Quick update on my dad, 3 weeks back he developed some kind of infection in the stomach and had a big mass protruding in the area. The Dr gave him some medicine and the mass slowly turned liquid and they did a key hole surgery, put a pipe to drain the puss. Out of no where he complained about pain in his left arm and was rushed to ER where they said he had a mild heart attack. Due to the draining still in the stomach, the Dr are taking it slow treating him. I am heading back to India to be with my parents. Hoping this passes and Dad feels better soon. Wising you all a happy and speedy recovery!

Thank you,

Avi.

• ramaka
    edited March 2018 #33
    Hi All:

Hi All:

My dad developed Lymphocele and had a drain put in. At the same time, he suffered a heart attack. Angiogram was not doone immediately due to the presence of drain in his stomach. Urologists and Cardiologists consulted with ach other and deemed that they could proceed with the angiogram. Angiogram showed blockage but not that extensive that he has to undergo angioplasty. He has been given some blood thiners and being monitored every month from now on, They did an ultrasound prior to removing the drainage and found another accuualtion to the righ of the original one. So they stitched up the old one and put in a new one. Unfortunately, the new one go blocked and hence he has to have the drain for a few more days. I sincerely hope this is the last of the Lymphocele occurance as he seems completely drained out physically. Me being away from theem does not help either. Please share your experiences if you had lymphocele post RP. Thanks again, Avi.

• ramaka
    Hi:

Hi:

Dad finally got the drain pipe removed from the abdomen due to Lymphocelle a couple of weeks back and so far so good (touch wood!). He went in for his PSA check and it came back 1.3 ng/dl (it was 0.1 back in March 2018). I am really worried that the PCa is back....Can any one please let me know your thoughts? He is meeting with his Dr tomorrow, but I am worried sick here...

Thanka again!

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 980 Member
    PSA rise

Hi,

When he goes back for is next PSA test if it does rise again sounds like something is going on.  He would probably need an MRI to determine if the cancer is growing and where it is.  From what I read it sounds like your Dad is heading for RT as soon as he heals up.  The imaging test(MRI) should provide them with the places to apply the radiation.  Unfortunetly the radiation will throw more side effects into the mix for you father.  God speed man, sound like your father is having a rough time of it.

Dave 3+4

• ramaka

PSA rise

Hi,

When he goes back for is next PSA test if it does rise again sounds like something is going on.  He would probably need an MRI to determine if the cancer is growing and where it is.  From what I read it sounds like your Dad is heading for RT as soon as he heals up.  The imaging test(MRI) should provide them with the places to apply the radiation.  Unfortunetly the radiation will throw more side effects into the mix for you father.  God speed man, sound like your father is having a rough time of it.

Dave 3+4

Thank you very much for your

Thank you very much for your time and help, Dave! Will keep you posted on the progress of my father.

• ramaka
    My dad meet his Dr today and

My dad meet his Dr today and he was told that they will start him on Firmagon asap. He will have a scan next week. After 2 months post HT, he will undergo 2 months/35 sessions of Radiation therapy. Does this steps increase in psa so soon after the surgery mean that the surgery was of no use?

• ramaka
    Update

Hello:

My dad went in for his PSA post 1.5 months since his HT and it came back as 0.5. He is meeting his Dr on Monday and hopefully we will know what the next steps are. Most likely go ahead with RT ASAP. Thanks again for the read and keep you updated.