First colonoscopy since April 2017 when I was diagnosed

SophDan2
SophDan2 Member Posts: 150 Member

Hi All:

Just feeling a bit anxious, but confident in a positive result. Tomorrow will be my first colonoscopy since my stage 3C diagnosis, surgery and 6 months of Folfox 5FU. All of the blood works appears to be where it should be as of 2 weeks ago. But as I sit hear and begin the prepping for the colonoscopy (yechhhhh!), it brings back the words I heard after my last colonoscoy in April of 2017. The rational side of me thinks "don't worry you'll be fine", but the emotional side still has me a bit anxious.

Thanks for listening! (How much do I owe you? ;)

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    You'll be fine

Cancer usually grows slowly in the colon, so in all probability, you will be fine.  They may find a polyp or two, and there is a fair chance they missed those in the initial colonoscopy (that is likely what happened to me).  Additionally, at least for me, there is less than a 30% chance for colon cancer again.  The other big areas are the lungs and liver, which are revealed in CT or PET scans (not to add any more anxiety).  Best of luck tomorrow.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited July 2018 #3

You'll be fine

Cancer usually grows slowly in the colon, so in all probability, you will be fine.  They may find a polyp or two, and there is a fair chance they missed those in the initial colonoscopy (that is likely what happened to me).  Additionally, at least for me, there is less than a 30% chance for colon cancer again.  The other big areas are the lungs and liver, which are revealed in CT or PET scans (not to add any more anxiety).  Best of luck tomorrow.

Why is there a less chance

Why is there a less chance for in colon? 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    abita said:

Chance

There is usually a less chance for cancer in the colon also due to the fact that you are now considered high risk and will have the colonoscopies more frequenty than a normal person.  Since colon cancer is considered more of a slow growing cancer they can catch it earlier.  However, there are some polyps that are fast growing and need more attention than the standard protocol for most forms of colon cancer. 

Kim

• Annabelle41415
    Wishing you Luck

I've got a feeling that everything is going to go just fine tomorrow.  Wishing you well as the prep is the worst thing.  Please let us know how it went.

Kim

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    Good luck got tomorrow. Mine

Good luck for tomorrow. Mine is coming up in November yuck.

• Cindy225
    Cindy225 Member Posts: 172 Member
    Follow Up Colonoscopy

Dan

Sending positive energy your way for an uneventful colonoscopy today!  I was nervous for my first follow up colonoscopy and was fortunate to have the surgeon who did my LAR do the colonoscopy.  Everything looked good and she told me to come back in 2 years instead of a year.  So felt pretty good.  Praying for good results for you today!

Cindy

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    A nicer thing about a

A nicer thing about a colonoscopy is you get immediate results, scans always made me more nervous. May be it's because there's a wider scope and greater chance of things questionable popping up. If your numbers are good, have faith in the rest. In 2015, all I had to hold onto was a good CEA number through CT's, PET's, lung aspirations, and scoping both ways. That started three months out from the liver resection, that I'm now 4 years{Sep} clear of. Hang in there.............................................................Dave

• SophDan2
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement! Results: CLEAN!

The results of the colonoscopy: Totally clean, no polyps!!!!

• Annabelle41415
    WooHooo

Awesome - thanks for the update.

Kim

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    Congrats!

Awesome news! Thanks for following up w us. Love hearing good news and success stories.

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    Glad to hear this! Good news

Glad to hear this! Good news is always welcome.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Woo hoo!

Such good news.

image Time to celebrate

Tru

• Cindy225
    Cindy225 Member Posts: 172 Member
    Yay!!

Deep sigh... Yippee!!

Cindy

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    Great news!!

i am sure you are so relieved!

• SophDan2

Great news!!

i am sure you are so relieved!

I certainly was relieved!

Thanks!

• Annabelle41415
    SophDan2 said:

Thanks!

Frequency

When did your doctor tell you that you needed another one, I'm just curious as all doctor's are different.  At least you get a little reprieve for a while.

Kim

• SophDan2

Frequency

When did your doctor tell you that you needed another one, I'm just curious as all doctor's are different.  At least you get a little reprieve for a while.

Kim

The Onologist said one a year for the first 3 years

The doctor that completed the colonoscopy said god nfor another 3 years. I think I'll go with the oncologist's opinion. Either way, I very happy for now!

• Annabelle41415
    SophDan2 said:

The Onologist said one a year for the first 3 years

The doctor that completed the colonoscopy said god nfor another 3 years. I think I'll go with the oncologist's opinion. Either way, I very happy for now!

Great

It is good to go with the doctor's recommendations.  At least you can go one year now and have some time to breath.  Enjoy the year and live, live, live. 

Kim

• SophDan2

Great

It is good to go with the doctor's recommendations.  At least you can go one year now and have some time to breath.  Enjoy the year and live, live, live. 

Kim

Thanks Kim

I do still check the forums a couple of times a week,and wish everyone well moving ahead!

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    abita said:

That is according to my doctor and may be specific to me.  She says I have a 60% chance of recurrence in the liver.  It may be related to the site of the cancer.

See, for example, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28589428 "We noted 23.8% local recurrence, 69.8% distant recurrence, and 6.4% both."