Open Partial Nephrectomy

Phillyd274
Phillyd274 Member Posts: 8

I’m scheduled for surgery on June 22nd. Now I’m getting a little nervous. 

Comments

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    I had an open partial in 2014

I had an open partial in 2014. I was terrified. But I can honestly say my imagination and fears were a lot worse than the reality. It was not fun and I wouldn't want to do it again but nowhere near as bad as I had feared. My surgery was Monday morning, I was up walking that evening, home on Wednesday and doing work at my computer (from home) on Thursday. Everyone's experience is different of course, and I was fortunate that the location of the tumor allowed for a small (under 5 inches) incision so I had less pain than someone with a large incision would probably have. I was able to walk up the stairs to our bedroom the night I got home and was able to sleep in my own bed. Some were not so lucky and used a recliner to sleep in, which I bought thinking I'd need it but didn't.

Have them teach you how to roll and get out of bed before leaving the hospital. Bring a pillow and a large garbage bag for the way home. The garbage bag on seat allows you to slide easily in and out of seat without straining. The pillow will cushion the incision from the seat belt. By a large body pillow and a wedge pillow for your bed so you can kind of make a supportive "nest" to make sleeping easier.

Walk walk walk as much possible and use the breathing apparatus to keep your lungs clear. I think it's called a spirometer. I didn't have appetite for about a week and lived on toast, eggs, and soup. All the best to you and may yours go as uneventfully and relatively easily as mine did.

• Phillyd274
    Phillyd274 Member Posts: 8
    APny said:

I had an open partial in 2014

I had an open partial in 2014. I was terrified. But I can honestly say my imagination and fears were a lot worse than the reality. It was not fun and I wouldn't want to do it again but nowhere near as bad as I had feared. My surgery was Monday morning, I was up walking that evening, home on Wednesday and doing work at my computer (from home) on Thursday. Everyone's experience is different of course, and I was fortunate that the location of the tumor allowed for a small (under 5 inches) incision so I had less pain than someone with a large incision would probably have. I was able to walk up the stairs to our bedroom the night I got home and was able to sleep in my own bed. Some were not so lucky and used a recliner to sleep in, which I bought thinking I'd need it but didn't.

Have them teach you how to roll and get out of bed before leaving the hospital. Bring a pillow and a large garbage bag for the way home. The garbage bag on seat allows you to slide easily in and out of seat without straining. The pillow will cushion the incision from the seat belt. By a large body pillow and a wedge pillow for your bed so you can kind of make a supportive "nest" to make sleeping easier.

Walk walk walk as much possible and use the breathing apparatus to keep your lungs clear. I think it's called a spirometer. I didn't have appetite for about a week and lived on toast, eggs, and soup. All the best to you and may yours go as uneventfully and relatively easily as mine did.

Thanks so much for sharing

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. My imagination is getting the best of me. I’m nervous about the anesthesia and how the pain meds will make me feel afterwards. I pray my experience is similar to yours. The mass is 2.4 cm at the top of left kidney. I will make sure to come back and post my experience after the surgery. I’m will be buying extra pillows this weekend and I will definitely use the trash bag idea. Thanks again!

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Mine was a little bigger but

Mine was a little bigger but in the same spot. I was fine with the anesthesia; a little nauseated but they gave me shots that helped. The first day I had a morphine drip but that too made me queasy so they switched to something else. Second day I was given pills every four hours. Worked fine. I was off pain killers after about 10 days and just took Tylenol. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it will go smoothly!

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    It isn't an easy surgery, but

It isn't an easy surgery, but be thankful they found it and are taking care of it!!!!!!!!!! It will all be behind you soon. All the best xoxo

• Cybball
    Cybball Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2018 #6
    I had an open partial on Jan

I had an open partial on Jan 26th.  Took a while to recover, but it was worth it to get rid of the cancer.  You will do great and will be back in action.  Good luck and keep us posted.

• Thanks so much for sharing

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. My imagination is getting the best of me. I’m nervous about the anesthesia and how the pain meds will make me feel afterwards. I pray my experience is similar to yours. The mass is 2.4 cm at the top of left kidney. I will make sure to come back and post my experience after the surgery. I’m will be buying extra pillows this weekend and I will definitely use the trash bag idea. Thanks again!

Hey! Mine was exactly 2.4 cm

Hey! Mine was exactly 2.4 cm too, but on the right kidney.  I echo everything APny said.  We went to the same doctor in NYC.  I was scared out of my mind prior to surgery.  I recall being a blubbering mess.  The fear was the worst part.  Surgery went smoothly. The first hours and day or two after surgery were painful, but managable.  My best advice is to walk as much as you can after surgery as it really speeds recovery.  You will not feel like walking a day or two after surgery, but do it.  Best of luck to youtoday.