Tumor Markers

Deathorglory
Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member

Hello,

I am familiar with tumor markers for GI cancers and have had CA19-9 and CEA blood tests done regularly.  Is there a similar tumor marker for Lung cancer?  If there is, will you please share some information.

Thanks, 

Ed

Comments

• jorola
    jorola Member Posts: 243 Member
    This was what I found

I googled myself as my husband and I never came across this during his treatment of lung cancer but it is a very good question.

This was a good one I found.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/diagnosis-staging/diagnosis/tumor-markers-fact-sheet

• Deathorglory
    jorola said:

This was what I found

I googled myself as my husband and I never came across this during his treatment of lung cancer but it is a very good question.

This was a good one I found.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/diagnosis-staging/diagnosis/tumor-markers-fact-sheet

Hello,

Hello,

Thank you for this.  It is just what I was looking for.  I've been on the esophageal cancer ride for the past 10 years, but I'm just now getting ready to get on the lung cancer ride.  I feel like I know a lot about the one, but practically nothing about the other.

Thanks,

Ed

• Glenda66
    Glenda66 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2018 #4
    Tumor Markers

i am fairly new to this all. Can you explain what a tumor marker is and why I should be aware of mine. Thank you

• Deathorglory
    edited June 2018 #5
    Hello Glenda

Hello Glenda,

Tumor markers are indicators of a cancer.  Some are done with blood tests, others are done via biopsy.  Some indicate whether or not there is cancer in you.  Some indicate whether or not there has been a recurrence of successfully treated cancer.  Some indicate whether you have a specific subset of cancer that may be treated with a specific drug.  The tests done by biopsy are definitive, the blood tests are just indicitive that something is going on, but are generally not regarded as conclusive.  

As an example, I've had esophageal cancer treated successfully twice over the past ten years.  The CA 19-9 and CEA tests I got done regularly are blood tests that can monitor for a recurrence and could hopefully notice it early if it recurred, which would obviously be of large benefit to me.  

I hope this is useful to you.

Best Wishes,

Ed