First Post - Just had my nephrectomy and got pathology report

emlombardo
emlombardo Member Posts: 4

At the beginning of May I found out that I had a large mass in my left kidney  I had a radical laproscopic nephrectomy last Wednesday. 

I got the the pathology report today and it turns out that it was ccRCC but stage 3 because the tumor had invaded the perirenal fat a little bit. We had been anticipating stage 2 based on the CT scan results. The doctor said this means that I’ll be monitored more closely but would still not recommend any additional treatment at this point. She also referred me to an oncologist so that I can get another opinion on the treatment plan. 

I dont have any questions, just worried about the upgrade from stage 2 to stage 3 and meeting with the oncologist. I never thought I’d be dealing with this at 38!

Comments

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Welcome, Em

I'm glad you found this site and I hope your healing is progressing well.  Give it some time and try to listen to your body.  The best thing you can do right now is walk as much as you feel comfortable doing and resting.  

I can understand your surprise and level of anxiety with the move to stage 3.  I was diagnosed at age 47--still well below the average age for RCC to be found.  You may not have questions at this point, but please know we are here to support you as you need us.  Continue to read, learn and support others on this site.  

Take care--Stub

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Hopefully the worst part is over

em,

Welcome to the club that  no one in his right mind would volunteer to join. No one including myself liked being nephed. Mine was also 16 years ago. No one better than your Oncologist can guide you thru the future. In order for us on this board to relate can you tell us how large that nasty bugger was. As I have seen reading 1000's of posts, :large : may mean different things to different people.

icemantoo

• emlombardo
    icemantoo said:

Hopefully the worst part is over

em,

Welcome to the club that  no one in his right mind would volunteer to join. No one including myself liked being nephed. Mine was also 16 years ago. No one better than your Oncologist can guide you thru the future. In order for us on this board to relate can you tell us how large that nasty bugger was. As I have seen reading 1000's of posts, :large : may mean different things to different people.

icemantoo

oh, good question. It was 9cm

oh, good question. It was 9cm

• emlombardo
    stub1969 said:

Welcome, Em

I'm glad you found this site and I hope your healing is progressing well.  Give it some time and try to listen to your body.  The best thing you can do right now is walk as much as you feel comfortable doing and resting.  

I can understand your surprise and level of anxiety with the move to stage 3.  I was diagnosed at age 47--still well below the average age for RCC to be found.  You may not have questions at this point, but please know we are here to support you as you need us.  Continue to read, learn and support others on this site.  

Take care--Stub

Thanks. I’m walking quite a

Thanks. I’m walking quite a bit, it really does help mentally and physically. 

• paintergrl
    paintergrl Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2018 #6
    Pretty similar

Hi, Sorry about your situation. It's all very scary! I also had stage 3 and a 10cm mass. Pretty close to your situation! Radical appendectomy March 23rd. Try to take your time with recovery. I kept trying to do things I did before surgery and my body kept saying slow down! Sending positive thoughts your way! Ann

• emlombardo

Pretty similar

Hi, Sorry about your situation. It's all very scary! I also had stage 3 and a 10cm mass. Pretty close to your situation! Radical appendectomy March 23rd. Try to take your time with recovery. I kept trying to do things I did before surgery and my body kept saying slow down! Sending positive thoughts your way! Ann

Thanks. The surgery recovery

Thanks. The surgery recovery is going well so far.