Kombucha to help your belly!

Woodytele
Woodytele Member Posts: 163

I just wanted to share my experience in the hope it may help others on this site.  

As as many of you know, Chemo wrecks havoc on your immune system, and your GI system, stomach, intestines, colon etc.  

I have been drinking Kombucha for a few months now, and it definitely has helped me maintain a more normal bathroom routine.  After chemo “FOLFOXIRI” I would often get constipated, then about three or four days after infusion, iI would get the  “Irinotecan  blow out”, absolute clean out of my insides.  

I have been drinking Kombucha everyday, and I have had an almost normal bathroom routine the week after infusion, and everyday after.  It may take a while to get used to the taste, (think wine cooler, or fermented fruit juice taste), but I can not recommend it more highly.  

For about $3 a bottle, you can find it in your grocery store usually in the produce cooler, or refrigerated drink section.  I have tried them all, and I enjoy all of them.

Kombucha has natural yeast strains, and bacteria much like a probiotic pill, but more enjoyable to take.  I think it’s important to balance the good/bad bacteria to get your GI system running the best it can.  

Hope me this helps some of you, keep fighting. 

Comments

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    Thanks

I don't like the taste of kombucha, but will try again if it will help me achieve some balance. I had major diahrrea with my first Irinetocan infusion, and then constipated with the second. So frustrating.  I appreciate the suggestion. 

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Guess I will try again

I don't really like the taste of it, but I have suffered from constipation for so many years now, I may have to try it again. Thanks for the tip!

• Kevin1224
    Kevin1224 Member Posts: 34

Thanks

I don't like the taste of kombucha, but will try again if it will help me achieve some balance. I had major diahrrea with my first Irinetocan infusion, and then constipated with the second. So frustrating.  I appreciate the suggestion. 

Organic juices

I have been doing organic juices for my wife since she first started chemo.  It has really helped her in her bowel movements.  

• Deena11
    Deena11 Member Posts: 199 Member
    Kombucha

i started drinking it almost 3 months ago.  I believe it helps my digestion and my gut.  I got used to the flavors but there are definitely good and bad tasting Kombuchas.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Drink

My daughter takes this but said it produces so much gas she is having a hard time digesting it.  I'm one that goes about 8-15 times a day so I'm not sure if this would benefit me and I surely don't need more gas.  She did say it helped her for a bit but then couldn't take it anymore.  I've tried Kyfir and that was ok but it's expensive.  Hope this works for all of you.

Kim

• peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    edited June 2018 #7
    VSL #3 is also an option

Kombucha is a geat choice for those that can eat it.

Aside from fermented foods, just eating plenty of low carb healthy high fiber vegetables will go a long way towards helping maintain a healthy gut ecosystem as well.   Recommeded at least 30 grams of fiber a day. 

VSL #3 is a very high potency multi-strain probiotic that may also be an option, expecially during times when a person has to take antibiotics, which will kill off many healthy strains and can have negeative side effects as a results..  VSL#3 has 8 types of bacteria and over 100 billion bacteria per pill.   60 pills per bottle.  I take one pill a day most days so it last over 2 months.

VSL#3 costs about $40 a bottle and is kept in a refrigerator at your pharmacy.  Have to ask for it at the counter.  Can be ordered on line too, and is shipped in a cold pack.