News from Yale Cancer Center

peterz54
peterz54 Member Posts: 341

Here's a summary from Yale media on results from their cancer center on a minor dietary intervention (2 or more one ounce servings of nuts per week) which had very significant results for Stage III colon cancer patients - over 50% increase in overall survival at an average of about 6 years of follow-up. 

https://www.biosciencetechnology.com/news/2018/03/eating-nuts-could-lower-colon-cancer-reoccurrence

Here's the Journal of Oncology summary.  Click PDF tab for entire study (April, 2018)

http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2017.75.5413

Note the connecttion with decreased type 2 diabetes and increased insulin control both of which can also be positively affected by reduced simple carb load and exercise.

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Nuts

We'd have to be nuts not to do this.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Interesting. Last week I was

Interesting. Last week I was reading about tree nuts and how they contain Lectins and so shouldn't be consumed. Lectins are supposed to be bad for building up cholesterol and are supposed to be in nightshade vegetables and peas and tomatoes. It was an interesting article but I don't know if I can believe it or not, like much of what's on line. I read it in case it helped my husband after his heart attack. 

Jan

• peterz54
    JanJan63 said:

Interesting. Last week I was

Interesting. Last week I was reading about tree nuts and how they contain Lectins and so shouldn't be consumed. Lectins are supposed to be bad for building up cholesterol and are supposed to be in nightshade vegetables and peas and tomatoes. It was an interesting article but I don't know if I can believe it or not, like much of what's on line. I read it in case it helped my husband after his heart attack. 

Jan

consider the source

Jan,  I agree that you need to be skeptical about information you encounter on-line.  And in book store health sections. Even a significant fraction of scientific studies are flawed.  I posted this because it came from a credible source, and because nuts (in moderation) are generally considered healthy. 

This is anecdotal so take it as that - I also had a heart attack (5 years ago). My dive into the literature, including observational studies where randomized trials did not exist, lead me to a whole food plant based diet.  Off of simple carbs and sweeteners.  Lots of beans (high in lectins when raw) and greens.  High nitrate greens are excellent for nitric oxide production as well as many micronutients.  Nitric oxide is vital for blood pressure control and arterial health. Despite the growing throng of people now on the high fat kick I eat low fat, no simple carbs, no animal products, in part because of some evidence that high fat works against the endothelial layer in the arteries.   Let me stop there, and just say that diet can be a large part of the healing process.  It pays to put in the time and sort it out using the best information on hand. Not all people who are MDs (or scientists) and have best selling books know what they are talking about. I am off of all meds having perfect blood pressure, lipids, infammatory markers, and blood sugar (HbA1c).    

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    peterz54 said:

consider the source

Jan,  I agree that you need to be skeptical about information you encounter on-line.  And in book store health sections. Even a significant fraction of scientific studies are flawed.  I posted this because it came from a credible source, and because nuts (in moderation) are generally considered healthy. 

This is anecdotal so take it as that - I also had a heart attack (5 years ago). My dive into the literature, including observational studies where randomized trials did not exist, lead me to a whole food plant based diet.  Off of simple carbs and sweeteners.  Lots of beans (high in lectins when raw) and greens.  High nitrate greens are excellent for nitric oxide production as well as many micronutients.  Nitric oxide is vital for blood pressure control and arterial health. Despite the growing throng of people now on the high fat kick I eat low fat, no simple carbs, no animal products, in part because of some evidence that high fat works against the endothelial layer in the arteries.   Let me stop there, and just say that diet can be a large part of the healing process.  It pays to put in the time and sort it out using the best information on hand. Not all people who are MDs (or scientists) and have best selling books know what they are talking about. I am off of all meds having perfect blood pressure, lipids, infammatory markers, and blood sugar (HbA1c).    

I've been promoting a healthy

I've been promoting a healthy diet for years. I should say healthier because it's not totally healthy but I do eat much better than my husband was. To the point where we'd have two different meals at dinner most evenings. Now that he had his heart attack he's really started reading labels and eating lots of nuts and beans and he eats things like oatmeal every morning which has really improved bowel function. He hadn't realized before how complicated it is and how difficult and how even some seemingly healthy foods actually aren't. Plus the amount of sodium in so many pre made items. But he's almost completely cut out processed foods, fast food, pastries and store bought baked goods, things like that. I'm very proud of him.

But the fact is that eating properly is harder than throwing a pre made meal in the oven or grabbing a bag of unhealthy snack food.

Jan

• peterz54
    JanJan63 said:

I've been promoting a healthy

I've been promoting a healthy diet for years. I should say healthier because it's not totally healthy but I do eat much better than my husband was. To the point where we'd have two different meals at dinner most evenings. Now that he had his heart attack he's really started reading labels and eating lots of nuts and beans and he eats things like oatmeal every morning which has really improved bowel function. He hadn't realized before how complicated it is and how difficult and how even some seemingly healthy foods actually aren't. Plus the amount of sodium in so many pre made items. But he's almost completely cut out processed foods, fast food, pastries and store bought baked goods, things like that. I'm very proud of him.

But the fact is that eating properly is harder than throwing a pre made meal in the oven or grabbing a bag of unhealthy snack food.

Jan

It's very difficult

Yes, eating well is often very difficult, especially in a family setting and with all sorts of things calling to us when we shop.  Easier for me now that I just shop for me and my dog and I'm motivated by health issues.  Your husband is fortunate to have you on his side to help guide him.