Rectal cancer

help :( my husband has t4-n0m0.. he lost his 1/2 his bowel, his prostat, his bladder as the radiation went very wrong.. 

that was a year ago.. he had a massive surgery 7 drains in.. he has been having blood test and his cea has been normal 1.5-1.7 

a rounti scan has showed up a abnormality.. I am hoping like made its scar tissue... having a pet scan on Tuesday... any one out there that this has happened too?

Tracey

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Scan

Sometimes the CEA can't always be relied on as an accurate marker.  I'd wait for the scan next week and see what that shows and go from there.  You and the doctor will have to see what they decide about your husband but I'm confident that this scan will show what is going on.  Scar tissue is a big issue when one has gone through surgery.  Hoping for the best.

Kim

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Welcome to the forum, Tracy

I am sorry that you have found yourself here. I am sorry that your husband has Cancer. 

I did have a scan that sent the Doctor into a bit of a panic, and I had to have an emergency sigmoidoscopy, which showed irritation but no Cancer. So you are right; this could be scar tissure or irritation. That is what we'll all hope for. 

Best thing is to hope for the best while preparing for the worst.  Trying to reign in the worry, as it won't change the results, and cause you both stress. 

Others will be along in a while, to add their support. 

Tru

• Tracey1969
    Tracey1969 Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2018 #4
    It’s reacurrance cancer... he

It’s reacurrance cancer... he has to do chemo for 3 months.. they said it’s right next to 

a nerve in his leg.. if they operate he might not be able to use it anymore:( seeing oncologist next week.. 

theres no spread  any other organs 

this sucks :( 

does anyone know much about chemo??

• Trubrit

It’s reacurrance cancer... he has to do chemo for 3 months.. they said it’s right next to 

a nerve in his leg.. if they operate he might not be able to use it anymore:( seeing oncologist next week.. 

Oh, I think we all know far to much about chemo

I am so sorry about your husband's recurrance. And yes, it does suck.

There are many different chemo cocktails out there. You will find out which one your husband will be on, at the Onc visit next week. Come back and tell us what it is and we can help you as much as we can. 

It is good news that there is no sign of matastasis to other organs. 

Tru

• Tracey1969
    Trubrit said:

Oh, I think we all know far to much about chemo

I am so sorry about your husband's recurrance. And yes, it does suck.

There are many different chemo cocktails out there. You will find out which one your husband will be on, at the Onc visit next week. Come back and tell us what it is and we can help you as much as we can. 

It is good news that there is no sign of matastasis to other organs. 

Tru

This really sucks... I know

This really sucks... I know it’s not me that’s  going through this.. but he’s my best friend/ soul mate 

my heart is breaking. ... can’t believe it :( 

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    I have no advice to offer, I

I have no advice to offer, I'm sorry. I just wanted to say what I've said many times before. I think it's harder on the caregiver than the person with the cancer. You have a tough time ahead of you again. All the best to you.

Jan

• Tracey1969
    JanJan63 said:

I have no advice to offer, I

I have no advice to offer, I'm sorry. I just wanted to say what I've said many times before. I think it's harder on the caregiver than the person with the cancer. You have a tough time ahead of you again. All the best to you.

Jan

Thanks Jan.. :( i hope my

Thanks Jan.. :( i hope my heart will stay intact.. he seems to be doing better than me ..

The surgeon said that where the new tumor is.. is near a nerve in his leg .. there is a chance he won’t be able to use it :( 

he kept saying the surgery will impact his quality of life :(  he’s only 50.. he was a body builder and oh so beautiful .. he’s hoping the chemo will shrink it.. 

he has already lost so much from the first cancer as the radiation went wrong and fried all his insides.. he now has 2 bags, bowel and bladder.. but we were positive and got 

though it togeather.. started planning our future again..  we were going to do our big OE.. Paris London Italy :( have now canceled trip.. 

is this our life now:( sadness all the time 

• Pamcakes
    Pamcakes Member Posts: 112 Member

I am so sorry for what you

I am so sorry for what you and your husband are going through. My husband is also stage 4,he's 38. This is definitely hard for you both and it sounds like you are a wonderful and caring wife. I always tell my husband that his "only" thing to do is to take care of himself & I will take care of the wortying and stress for him. The worring can take a toll at times so remember to take time for yourself.

i hope you don't mind me asking, did your husband have any symptoms from where the cancer was found near the nerve? Symptoms that impacted his walking, back issues etc?

• Trubrit
    Don't jump ahead too far

Take this one day at a time. You don't know what the future holds. It may very well be that big trip, or several little trips.  

Be good to yourself, because you know he needs you, and you will be no good to him if you break down. You are an important part of his journey. 

It sounds like he has had a most horrific time with everything. Radiation can be Hell, and I think he is proof of that. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member

Treatment

Sorry to hear he has to go through treatment but that can be a benefit if it is growing.  Better to get it right away though.  A lot have of us have been through it but there are many different infusions for different types of growth.  Mine was FOLFOX and it was a combination of 3 different drugs.  You might want to get more information on the type that he will be receiving and then let us know and we can help you more.  It's very difficult for him and the caregiver.  Just be strong for him, he needs you.

Kim

• Tracey1969

Treatment

Sorry to hear he has to go through treatment but that can be a benefit if it is growing.  Better to get it right away though.  A lot have of us have been through it but there are many different infusions for different types of growth.  Mine was FOLFOX and it was a combination of 3 different drugs.  You might want to get more information on the type that he will be receiving and then let us know and we can help you more.  It's very difficult for him and the caregiver.  Just be strong for him, he needs you.

Kim

Thanks Kim 

Thanks Kim 

ill write everything down when we go next week

• Tracey1969
    Pamcakes said:

I am so sorry for what you

I am so sorry for what you and your husband are going through. My husband is also stage 4,he's 38. This is definitely hard for you both and it sounds like you are a wonderful and caring wife. I always tell my husband that his "only" thing to do is to take care of himself & I will take care of the wortying and stress for him. The worring can take a toll at times so remember to take time for yourself.

i hope you don't mind me asking, did your husband have any symptoms from where the cancer was found near the nerve? Symptoms that impacted his walking, back issues etc?

Hi.. thank u for your support

Hi.. thank u for your support... 38 is so young :( 

he has no symptom.. it’s only small... it’s not touching the nerves yet.. it was found on a roution scan

• Tracey1969
    Hi we have been to the

Hi we have been to the oncologist and starting chemo tomorro... Capecitabine and 5- fu ( can’t remember the full name ) 

we choose the drug that didn’t need a pick line. As hubby had that 3 times last year for infection that he didnt want to go there.. he’s doing the IV tomorrow then followed by 2 weeks of tablets.. 1 week off.. for 4 cycles...the side effects sounds terrible.. they said the the iv can feel like someone is cutting u with glass.. for 10% of people.. so hopefully it doesn’t happen.. or pick line it is :(  how did u guys cope with the side effect?? 

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member

Hi we have been to the

Hi we have been to the oncologist and starting chemo tomorro... Capecitabine and 5- fu ( can’t remember the full name ) 

we choose the drug that didn’t need a pick line. As hubby had that 3 times last year for infection that he didnt want to go there.. he’s doing the IV tomorrow then followed by 2 weeks of tablets.. 1 week off.. for 4 cycles...the side effects sounds terrible.. they said the the iv can feel like someone is cutting u with glass.. for 10% of people.. so hopefully it doesn’t happen.. or pick line it is :(  how did u guys cope with the side effect?? 

Dear Friend,

That part of the chemo is not the problem. I had a PICC line for several months and it was ok. The hardest part for me was the bitter taste in my mouth and feeling like I was poisoned. Managing the appetite was the word and dry burning eyes(Visine).

Avoid cold food, drinks and touching cold things like a plague. It does feel like swallowing ground up glass or that on their skin. 

All yhe best. 

• Tracey1969
    Our naturopath recommend

Our naturopath recommend Coriolus Versicolor mushrooms to help with side effects chemo, but the oncologist wasn’t that keen for us to have them.. he said that anythings that help with side effect might wash the drugs out of his system faster.. so then the chemo wouldn’t be so effective...we don’t want that.. we want them to do there job... has anyone used anything like that while doing chemo??