SBRT

Ugur
Ugur Member Posts: 62

Has anyone here had an experience with the lung mets treatment Steriotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)?

I read in a couple of web sites some good results with liver mets but I could not find detailed info yet. If you know anything about SBRT please feel free to share.

I will post some more info if I can have more.

Thanks,
Uğur

Comments

• Ugur
    Very informative article about SBRT

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4074953/

SBRT may be a very useful treatment for inoperable livers.

I hope someone with experience may inform us better. 

• Ugur
    Another Detailed Study

http://ar.iiarjournals.org/content/38/2/591.full

I really hope that here is somebody with experience would inform us about the procedure.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    I'm not at all familiar with

I'm not at all familiar with it, sorry. I'll be curious to hear from anyone who has some information, though.

Jan

• Ugur
    JanJan63 said:

I'm not at all familiar with

I'm not at all familiar with it, sorry. I'll be curious to hear from anyone who has some information, though.

Jan

Unfortunately I could not

Unfortunately I could not find any clinic or hospital near me where I can learn detailed information about the treatment.

I will consult with my doctor and then I will update here.

I found on Colorectal Cancer Alliance's web page some very positive info about the treatment:
    https://www.ccalliance.org/treatment/steriotactic-body-radiation-therapy-sbrt/

Even if I cannot find any info around me, I have found some private hospitals in Turkey where they process this treatment. At the worst case, I am going to contact them to gather some info.

• JanJan63
    Hmm. I hope it's helpful. I

Hmm. I hope it's helpful. I know here in Canada we don't have access to some of the treatments that are common in the states. It's rather frustrating. We absolutely do not have the money to send me somewhere to get something done that isn't covered. I'd really hate for things to go south for me because Canada hasn't approved a certain treatment yet. I've even offered to enroll in a trial group if one comes up.

Jan

• Ugur
    JanJan63 said:

Hmm. I hope it's helpful. I

Hmm. I hope it's helpful. I know here in Canada we don't have access to some of the treatments that are common in the states. It's rather frustrating. We absolutely do not have the money to send me somewhere to get something done that isn't covered. I'd really hate for things to go south for me because Canada hasn't approved a certain treatment yet. I've even offered to enroll in a trial group if one comes up.

Jan

Health care

Health care policies sometimes give everyone hard time. But we have to find our way out.

Here in Czech Republic, I trust the doctors because I know that they don't earn much which is unlikely in most of the countries as I know. And the public hospitals are good established. So I stick with my doctors.

However, I would try anything what seems logical and hopeful at the same time. Because I have to. I have to be with my wife lifelong. We haven't had kids yet. We have too much to share still.

And also my family, I could not tell them what I actually have, since I live abroad. I will tell them when they will come beside me.

So yeah, I will fight till I win this fight. I am young enough to be idealist, right :)

Good luck to both of us Jan. I hope we will find a way out soon.

I will update this tread as soon as I learn more. 

• JanJan63
    Ugur said:

Health care

Health care policies sometimes give everyone hard time. But we have to find our way out.

Here in Czech Republic, I trust the doctors because I know that they don't earn much which is unlikely in most of the countries as I know. And the public hospitals are good established. So I stick with my doctors.

However, I would try anything what seems logical and hopeful at the same time. Because I have to. I have to be with my wife lifelong. We haven't had kids yet. We have too much to share still.

And also my family, I could not tell them what I actually have, since I live abroad. I will tell them when they will come beside me.

So yeah, I will fight till I win this fight. I am young enough to be idealist, right :)

Good luck to both of us Jan. I hope we will find a way out soon.

I will update this tread as soon as I learn more. 

Yes, I'd really like to hear

Yes, I'd really like to hear about this. What it is and what it does. Where I live we don't even have ablation as an option. Funny because they do use it for lung cancer and my mets are in my lung but it hasn't been approved for it yet.

Jan

• Ugur
    Practical Info

and here are nicely explained practical info about SBRT and the technologies being used with same logic and technics:

https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/amp/stereotactic.html

Cyberknife is also same kind of treatment as I read, and I could find a hospital in another city here in Czech Republic where they provide Cyberknife treatment. At first opportunity, my wife will contact there.

I am going to update here accordingly 

U.

• Cac466
    Cac466 Member Posts: 12
    I just recently completed

I just recently completed SBRT (finished 4/9/18) for lung mets, treated at MSK. Treatment regime is 5 total treatments, every other day - more intensive/ longer than other radiation I’ve had, and 5 tx seems max that is given. I’ve had some side effects - skin issues on back, and heartburn like symptoms which are associated with esophageal irritation, and some pain.

While I’ve had normal radiation twice previously - initial rectal cancer treatment and then as follow up to lung Mets and resection last year, I definitely noticed more side effects from the far fewer SBRT treatments this time but think it is still worth a shot. Unfortunately my scan may 1st showed more lung mets popping up (have previously had wedge reaction, lobectomy, SBRT- all hoping to get to Ned in lungs) but now just started Xeloda this week.

If anyone has any wise advice for longer term Xeloda use I would certainly welcome it - I think this board offers great support and advice!

J

• Ugur
    Hi Jmck

Thanks very much for the info.

Sad to hear mets are spreading, but I think the chemo will do good for you.

I think it is better to open new topic about Xeloda on the forum, that you would get more responses from the experienced ones.

Good luck,
    U.

• Cac466
    Cac466 Member Posts: 12
    Thank you!

Thank you!