Starting Xeliri + Avastin

I'm still maintaining and even adding to my natural protocol; but with my cancer being so aggressive I'm going to add some chemo.  I've worked out a schedule of Xeloda one week on, one week off, Irinotecan and Avastin infusions every 2 weeks. My Oncologist believes this is a strong combo, so we'll know if I respond from my next scan in 2.5 months.

They were impressed that I am doing so well due to Mistletoe injections. For now, my appetite is strong, I sleep well, and have very little anxiety. I feel strong enough to handle the chemo drugs now. Expecting fatigue and hair loss. If anyone has any words of encouragement, I'd sure appreciate it.

I remain positive and want to fight this hard. 

Comments

• Tunadog
    Tunadog Member Posts: 235 Member
    I’ve been on Avastin and

I’ve been on Avastin and Xeloda For more than a years. It has prevented the spread of my cancer and reduced the size of my tumor a bit.

I get 400 mg of Avastin infused every three weeks and take 4000 mg of Xeloda daily for two weeks with a week off.

The side effects have been minimal for me. A little fatigue from the Xeloda and not much,bothering me from the Avastin.

Good Luck

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    Tunadog said:

I’ve been on Avastin and

I’ve been on Avastin and Xeloda For more than a years. It has prevented the spread of my cancer and reduced the size of my tumor a bit.

I get 400 mg of Avastin infused every three weeks and take 4000 mg of Xeloda daily for two weeks with a week off.

The side effects have been minimal for me. A little fatigue from the Xeloda and not much,bothering me from the Avastin.

Good Luck

Thanks Tuna

I love hearing that you've responded so well. I won't need a port for this so I'm hopeful my veins hold up. 

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    I can only relate to Xeloda

I can only relate to Xeloda and Oxaliplatin. If the other drugs are like Oxaliplatin, then that schedule sounds rough. Hopefully they are not as bad. Xeloda on/off doesn't sound too bad. I'm two on, one off and it's causing hands and feet but otherwise tolerable. I can only hope for the best for you.

• BRHMichigan
    Mikenh said:

I can only relate to Xeloda

I can only relate to Xeloda and Oxaliplatin. If the other drugs are like Oxaliplatin, then that schedule sounds rough. Hopefully they are not as bad. Xeloda on/off doesn't sound too bad. I'm two on, one off and it's causing hands and feet but otherwise tolerable. I can only hope for the best for you.

No Oxi

I'm working with 2 Oncologists and one specified NOT to use the Oxi . Just for me personally. I still suffer cold sensitivity and occasional numbness in my feel from my previous Xeloda use last Summer. The Irinetecan (sp?) will most likely cause hair loss, but worth a try. They think fatigue and diarrhea will be the worst of it. I'm ready. Hope I can enjoy some of the Summer this year!  How are you doing, Mike?

• Pamcakes
    Pamcakes Member Posts: 112 Member
    I can't speak from my

I can't speak from my experienc. DH said the oxi mix was hell. He is still suffering, but said at 38 happy to put up with the side effects. He completed 2 cycles of Xeloda one week in one week off with Avastin on  the on weeks. The hand foot syndrome started immediatelY. You may have already experienced this and may be prepared. We truly hope you do well with your treatment. It's all so hard. I can only speak from the spouse point. I started reading the forum about the time you started and have been following your journeY. So much respect for you!!!

• BRHMichigan
    Pamcakes said:

I can't speak from my

I can't speak from my experienc. DH said the oxi mix was hell. He is still suffering, but said at 38 happy to put up with the side effects. He completed 2 cycles of Xeloda one week in one week off with Avastin on  the on weeks. The hand foot syndrome started immediatelY. You may have already experienced this and may be prepared. We truly hope you do well with your treatment. It's all so hard. I can only speak from the spouse point. I started reading the forum about the time you started and have been following your journeY. So much respect for you!!!

Caregivers

Pam, I think it's harder for our families and especially our caregivers. Thank you so much for the kind words. Since I was pretty concerned about getting a port, the Oxi wasn't really an option. I've read a lot about how it can tear up your veins, arms, etc. And I know it's powerful stuff, but the side effects are frightening. Yes, I still feel like my feet are packed in ice, especially at night. But it's something I could live with. 

Hope and pray your husband continues to improve. Keep reading, researching, and trying new things. I've decided to spend every day living, not dying. If things get bad, I'll try to continue to experience as much joy as possible. 

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    Can do. Will do.

You can do this!!  To hell with cold feet, as long as you have a warm heart.

Jim

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Brave

You've got all the encouragement from me.  I'm amazed at all you've been through and now what you are going through.  You just seem to take all the options in place and then go for it.  I'm praying that this works and you get some relief.  Thank you for giving us an update.  I'm praying for you.

Kim

• BRHMichigan

Brave

You've got all the encouragement from me.  I'm amazed at all you've been through and now what you are going through.  You just seem to take all the options in place and then go for it.  I'm praying that this works and you get some relief.  Thank you for giving us an update.  I'm praying for you.

Kim

Jim & Kim

You are two special people here, and your encouragement and prayers mean the world to me. Jim, I just love your finish line photo for so many reasons. And I've mentioned before how much beauty and grace Kim exemplifies. I just read about how Sharon Osbourne beat CRC down after a 2002 diagnosis. It is possible. 

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    Lots of prayers for you BRH.

Lots of prayers for you BRH. Miracles are for everyone not just me. You seem to be such a strong person and roll with the punches as I do.  Will keep you in my thoughts. 

• Saraaaa
    Saraaaa Member Posts: 13
    Hey brh. ImI mostly a silent

Hey brh. ImI mostly a silent readerr. My mom has stage 4 cancer. Can you please tell me about mistletoe injections? 

• Saraaaa
    Saraaaa Member Posts: 13

Hey brh. ImI mostly a silent readerr. My mom has stage 4 cancer. Can you please tell me about mistletoe injections? 

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777

No Oxi

I'm working with 2 Oncologists and one specified NOT to use the Oxi . Just for me personally. I still suffer cold sensitivity and occasional numbness in my feel from my previous Xeloda use last Summer. The Irinetecan (sp?) will most likely cause hair loss, but worth a try. They think fatigue and diarrhea will be the worst of it. I'm ready. Hope I can enjoy some of the Summer this year!  How are you doing, Mike?

Pretty crappy right now. My

Pretty crappy right now. My toes and fingers are a real mess (look and feel awful). I think that the Oxaliplatin has peaked though so should be improving from here. Another two cycles after this one. I'm hopeful but it's definitely a long, long slog. It doesn't compare to Stage 4 but I know a bit of what you guys are going through.

• BRHMichigan
    Saraaaa said:

Hi Sara

I will send you a message with some detail. My quality of life is amazing and I credit mistletoe 100%. I was a skeptic. Not anymore. 

• BRHMichigan

Lots of prayers for you BRH.

Lots of prayers for you BRH. Miracles are for everyone not just me. You seem to be such a strong person and roll with the punches as I do.  Will keep you in my thoughts. 

Thank you, Sandy!

Yes, I had to make a conscious choice to get out of initial shock and depression. Life is too short to waste a single day.  Please tell me how you are doing! You must still be recovering from surgery. 

• Cindy225
    Cindy225 Member Posts: 172 Member

So glad to hear how you're fighting hard Beth!  It encourages us all...

Cindy   

• Woodytele
    Woodytele Member Posts: 163
    Mistletoe

Can you send me details of the mistletoe injections. I would appreciate it. 

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    Avastin, Irinotecan

I haven't had the same combination  that you'll be on, and have never  had Xeloda, but I  did have Avastin  with 8  Folfox treatments plus 4 5-FU/Fuslilev/Avastin treatments  following    28  radiation treatments with 5-FU in late 2015. I've been on a combination of irinotecan plus Erbitux every other week  since April, 2016.  I don't remember any adverse  events from the Avastin other than the fatigue, but it wasn't bad enough to keep me from being reasonably active, getting out and doing things. My hair did begin to thin after 6 treatments with the irinotecan/Erbitux, but I had  it shaved off on the sides, spiked the top and dyed it blue  as a protest ;-) I bought a wig but it was summer and the wig was uncomfortable in the  Alabama heat. The hair grew back and  hasn't thinned out again. So far,  the chemo has kept the cancer in check ( had a CT scan today,  so we'll see if they're still working when I get the results tomorrow).  I've felt pretty good throughout treatment with only minor problems.With your positive attitude and the support of your family, I  feel pretty sure you'll come through with flying colors. We're all  pulling for you. 

Grace/lizard44

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Mikenh said:

Pretty crappy right now. My

Pretty crappy right now. My toes and fingers are a real mess (look and feel awful). I think that the Oxaliplatin has peaked though so should be improving from here. Another two cycles after this one. I'm hopeful but it's definitely a long, long slog. It doesn't compare to Stage 4 but I know a bit of what you guys are going through.

Don't compare, Mike

If its bad, its bad. No matter the stage. 

Tru

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Good luck!

I hope you respond as our friend Grace, has. 

All I know about Irinotecan , is that they nickname it 'I-run-to-can', because of its proclivity to keep you running to the loo. 

Hope you tolerate it well, and see much success. 

Tru