TUMOR

AMMJ
AMMJ Member Posts: 5

Hi All,

Last Thursday my mother got some bad news that she has a tumor that is rapid growing tumor located on her kidney (it has grown 1cm between scans within a 4 week peroid).  Mum has been told that she will need to wait until the 26.04.2018 for the next board meeting so they can discuss where to go from here.  They did mention removal of the kidney but due to scaring they do not think they will be able to do the keyhole removal it will be done as major surgery.  My mum is also insulin dependant diabetic so with 1 kidney does this mean she will need dialysis after surgery...  We have so many questions, today is only day 5 since we found out and the stress is overwhelming i can't even begin to imagine how she is feeling.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    Ammj

sorry you are here but I promise you you will gets lots of Information and support

the first thing to do is breathe and focus.. the next steps in renal cancer need  careful planning

Are you in the UK.  Most boards meet on a weekly basis.. I sure would not be happy with that wait.. Kidney cancer is not the crowded place that breast and prostate is..  speed is of the essence... not to panic you but but the quicker the surgery is done the better

Unfortunately sometimes kidney masses do grow a lot faster than the 0.5 cm per year average

what size does the tests show the mass is now

sorry I can’t help on the diabetic side but I am sure someone else will

what other information do you have

Annie

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Welcome

AMMJ,

---to the club which no one in their rihjt minf would volunteer to join. Without the size of the tumor it is difficult to respond appropriately. All Kidney removal surgery was open until they started Laproscopic about 20 years ago. As for being diabetic and losing a kidney each reduces kidney function but those  2 alone should not require dialysis unless there are already signs of kidney disease to strt with. The doctor has no doubt had bloodwork done and your mothers GFR results will enable him to address that issue. Generally those of us with 1 kidney like myself have a lower GFR than our 2 kidney brothers and sisters. I have been on this board 8 years and have observed only a very small number of those of us with 1 kidney going on dialysis.I have been living well on my spare kidney for 15 and 1/2 years.  Best of luck on your mother's journey. We were all scared in the begining.

icemantioo

• AMMJ

Ammj

sorry you are here but I promise you you will gets lots of Information and support

the first thing to do is breathe and focus.. the next steps in renal cancer need  careful planning

Are you in the UK.  Most boards meet on a weekly basis.. I sure would not be happy with that wait.. Kidney cancer is not the crowded place that breast and prostate is..  speed is of the essence... not to panic you but but the quicker the surgery is done the better

Unfortunately sometimes kidney masses do grow a lot faster than the 0.5 cm per year average

what size does the tests show the mass is now

sorry I can’t help on the diabetic side but I am sure someone else will

what other information do you have

Annie

Thank you for your reply - I

Thank you for your reply - I am not sure on the size i will give her a call shortly and find out.  No we are located in Australia.  Apparently within the "public system" they need to discuss complicated senarios with the board before proceeding.  The specialst that told my mum the horrible news did have her sign the required surgery paperwork to get the ball moving in the meanime.  Information is very sparse as my mum went to the app alone as she had no idea this would be the diagnosis, she said she walked out of there with so many questions that she wanted answered but just didn't think to ask.  I have put a pen and notebook in her handbag and told her to write down all questions so when we go next Thursday we can get them all answered.

• AMMJ
    icemantoo said:

Welcome

AMMJ,

---to the club which no one in their rihjt minf would volunteer to join. Without the size of the tumor it is difficult to respond appropriately. All Kidney removal surgery was open until they started Laproscopic about 20 years ago. As for being diabetic and losing a kidney each reduces kidney function but those  2 alone should not require dialysis unless there are already signs of kidney disease to strt with. The doctor has no doubt had bloodwork done and your mothers GFR results will enable him to address that issue. Generally those of us with 1 kidney like myself have a lower GFR than our 2 kidney brothers and sisters. I have been on this board 8 years and have observed only a very small number of those of us with 1 kidney going on dialysis.I have been living well on my spare kidney for 15 and 1/2 years.  Best of luck on your mother's journey. We were all scared in the begining.

icemantioo

Thank you for your reply

Thank you for your reply

• Wehavenotimeatall
    AMMJ said:

Thank you for your reply - I

Thank you for your reply - I am not sure on the size i will give her a call shortly and find out.  No we are located in Australia.  Apparently within the "public system" they need to discuss complicated senarios with the board before proceeding.  The specialst that told my mum the horrible news did have her sign the required surgery paperwork to get the ball moving in the meanime.  Information is very sparse as my mum went to the app alone as she had no idea this would be the diagnosis, she said she walked out of there with so many questions that she wanted answered but just didn't think to ask.  I have put a pen and notebook in her handbag and told her to write down all questions so when we go next Thursday we can get them all answered.

AMMJ

oh dear your poor mummy.. the shock is terrible.. especially on your own and you then get sent on your way

well wiith all respect the board should still sit every week like in the UK

Hopefully on thur you will get more information 

keep us posted.. we are always here to help

Annie

• AMMJ
    edited April 2018 #7

AMMJ

oh dear your poor mummy.. the shock is terrible.. especially on your own and you then get sent on your way

well wiith all respect the board should still sit every week like in the UK

Hopefully on thur you will get more information 

keep us posted.. we are always here to help

Annie

I just asked her the size -

I just asked her the size - had to build up the courage as i have no idea how to approach it :(..  It was 4cm but has grown another cm rapidly so last scan showed it at 5cm.

• AMMJ
    icemantoo said:

Welcome

AMMJ,

icemantioo

Just found out the size was

Just found out the size was 4cm but has grown another cm so 5 on the last scan

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Still small.

AMMJ,

4 or 5 cm is still relatively small. If the 2 scans were different  (such as Ultrasound an CT)  that could account for a difference in measurement. Tumors under 4 cm rarely spread. Under 7 cm is usually Stage 1. At that size they may consider a partial removal of the kidney which preserves more kidney function. There are no one size fits all in many cases.

icemantoo

• Wehavenotimeatall
    When

did she have these scans and what scans did she have?

did They not indicate after first scan that this could be  a potential cancer

iceman brillantly summed up the size advantage

i was given three different sizes on my tumour

ultrasound was 3.7

CT scan said 4.2 a day later

Actual size was 4.4cm a month after the Ultrasound

it depends on what methods were used

at 5 cm you can relax a little but get the surgery done asap

i know you are not and won’t relax but there is no need to go to meltdown  yet

Keep us posted and I am praying things go well

Annie

• Manufred
    Manufred Member Posts: 241 Member
    Rush slowly

Lots of things will impact on what happens.  You haven't said how old your mum is but if she is in reasonable condition (notwithstanding the diabetes) then she should cope OK with the surgery. Full open cut is probably safest. 

At 5 cm there is no screaming hurry, but as with all cancers, the sooner the better. I hope you have a good urologist and a good hospital to get it done.  I am also in Australia and there are some good people out here.  Sounds to me that you are probably dealing with one of the major cancer clinics, so should be OK.

There will be a post-surgery regime to consider, but that can wait for the moment. 

Take advantage of whatever learning opportunities come your way including this site.  And keep your spirits up, there is pleny of cause to hope for a good outcome.

Best wishes to both of you.

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    Welcome AMMJ

I had my nephrectomy last year at Ipswich General Hospital in Queensland.

My ct scan was in October 2016, my first meeting with a Urologist in early December. I had a bone scan and a pyeloscopy in December/January and finally the nephrectomy in early February 2017. The tumour was about 4cm.

At the time it all seemed to be dragging along too slowly but now it seems fast enough.

I have type 2 diabetes but well controlled by diet only. If your mother's kidneys aren't already damaged then one should be enough. It is obviously important to keep blood sugar under control to avoid kidney damage in future.

Steve.

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    Yes that is true. Different

Yes that is true. Different scans can measure differently. That happened to me. They will take care of things quickly! I know all the unanswered questions is the worst part, but it needs to be taken one step at a time. Please rest assured...your mom will be taken care of. These are professionals who do these surgeries all the time. All the best!!!

• jazzgirl
    jazzgirl Member Posts: 240 Member
    Hello AMMJ

I don't know how different things are for someone with diabetes, but I have lived my entire life with one kidney and now for almost 2 years with part of it lopped off.  I am careful about nutrition.  You said you had to build up courage to ask your mother about tumor size - try to keep that courage up and talk as much and as often as you are both able.  Keep writing down and asking the questions for medical personnel and each other.  I also went to appointment alone (I was visiting in a different state) and was not able to talk with anyone for a while.  It would have helped.  Take care -