Colon tumor grew back, Surgery April 20th

Joan M
Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member

I was upset to learn that my colon tumor had grown back, and was causing blood in my stools. I thought the blood was from hemroids or aggravation from diarhea caused from chemo, and that's what all the doctors have told me every time I mention bloody stools or bloody diarhea.  I've only had one chemo treatment since last August due to gallbladder problems, and surgeries to repair gall bladder. The colon tumor had disappeared from scans for over a year and a half, but is larger now that when I was diagnosed 2 years ago.   I will have robotic surgery at Mayo April 20th.  Really wish they could have gotten me in sooner, because of all the problems it's causing.  My surgeon will use the robotic surgery and is also taking the lymph nodes behind the tumor.  The oncologist wants him to remove a tumor in my liver the same day.  I'll find out more after my CT scan on the 12th.  I'm glad they're finally willing to remove that tumor.  I was told I'd never have surgery because I'm stage 4.  It really upset me since I've heard of so many others who've had surgery and even been cured from stage 4 cancer.  Maybe I'll have the same good results after they cut all this crappy cancer out of me.   

Comments

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    CRC

Joan, I'm so sorry to hear this news. When I met with a second Oncologist for the first time, he sat down with me and my husband to go over absolutely everything. And he referred to colorectal cancer as a 'surgical' cancer. I find it confusing that they seem to pick and choose what they'll operate on. 

Prayers for an uneventful surgery and a quick recovery! One hurdle at a time, right?

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    Joan

i am sorry you need more surgery but I think you are relieved  its finally coming out so it sounds good at the same time. You have been through so much I hope this the start of a break for you. 

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Hi Joan

so sorry to hear that the tumor grew, and so glad to hear it’s going to be removed robotically.   I had robotic surgery last spring to remove my  colon tumor and also had a small liver resection and abalation of some liver mets during the same operative setting.  Each organ had its own separate surgeon.  The surgery really wasn’t so bad.  The incisions are pretty small and not too painful.  I think the liver portion actually gave me more pain than the colon part.  Take all the pain meds they give you for the first couple days, and as soon as you’re able start moving.  the More you can ambulated the better you’ll feel.  

Wishing you all the best 

pam

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    So sorry to hear this Joan.

So sorry to hear this Joan. Maybe the surgery will get rid of it. Prayers are sent. 

• aoccc2015
    aoccc2015 Member Posts: 37
    Sorry about the news :(

Sorry about the news :( However it is great they are willing to do both at once now. Will be great to have some sort of reset for you:) Good luck with the surgery..you will do great.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Dear Joan

I am so sorry to hear this news. You've been through so much, and now more surgery. 

I hope they get everything and some. And I hope they get the liver sorted to boot. 

Thinking of you. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited April 2018 #8
    Surgery

I'm so sorry that you need to have surgery again because of the new tumor, but if they can get it out all at once it's better.  I've always been told that cutting it out is the best option.  Please keep us informed.

Kim

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Oh no, what a huge

Oh no, what a huge disappointment! This time should be the ticket for sure. I'm so sorry you're having to go through that again. Best of luck with it. We'll be thinking of you on April 20.

Jan

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    edited April 2018 #10
    Thank you all for your advice and kindness

I am very happy that I'll finally get this tumor removed!  I don't look forward to the recovery period... I've had other surgeries and seem to have more problems after anesthesia and also have a pretty low pain tolerance.   I'm very glad they are using the minimally invasive approach, should make it easier to recover.   

I leave for MD Anderson tomorrow to find out if they have any trials that would help me better than the folfiri or folfox.  I will be traveling from Texas to Rochester for surgery so won't be home for a couple weeks.  

Praying all goes as planned and leads to remission and cure! 

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    God bless Joan.

God bless Joan.

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Best of luck with your

Best of luck with your surgery! You can do this!

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Joan M said:

Thank you all for your advice and kindness

I am very happy that I'll finally get this tumor removed!  I don't look forward to the recovery period... I've had other surgeries and seem to have more problems after anesthesia and also have a pretty low pain tolerance.   I'm very glad they are using the minimally invasive approach, should make it easier to recover.   

I leave for MD Anderson tomorrow to find out if they have any trials that would help me better than the folfiri or folfox.  I will be traveling from Texas to Rochester for surgery so won't be home for a couple weeks.  

Praying all goes as planned and leads to remission and cure! 

Ask for an epidural for pain management

That has helped me tremendously in pain control after my surgeries.

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    Best wishes for a speedy

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. No treatment is wanted but at least you're having it done at a great cancer center.

• Marley1983
    Marley1983 Member Posts: 16
    Prayers

Sending prayers and hoping you have a easy recovery.

• HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Best of luck

with your surgery!  Prayers for strength and healing!  

• brianey
    brianey Member Posts: 1
    sending good energy

Much good for upcoming surgery.  

• Annabelle41415
    HollyID said:

Best of luck

with your surgery!  Prayers for strength and healing!  

Holly

Good to see your post.  It has been some time.  Hope you are doing well.

Kim

• Annabelle41415
    brianey said:

sending good energy

Much good for upcoming surgery.  

Welcome

Welcome to the board.  It would be nice if you could start a seperate post and introduce yourself.  We are here to help.

Kim

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Hi Joan

Thinking of you .   I believe your surgery was scheduled for today.  Wishing you a successful outcome and a speedy recovery 

pam

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    PamRav said:

Hi Joan

Thinking of you .   I believe your surgery was scheduled for today.  Wishing you a successful outcome and a speedy recovery 

pam

Me too!

Thinking of you today, Joan. Praying for your strength in recovery. We look forward to seeing your next post.  --Beth