Extreme Mouth/Throat pain 1 month post rads

Hello,

First Time Post. My 42yo husband underwent 35 rads and 6 doses if Cisplation a month ago this week. He was treated for HPV/Tonsil cancer. His treatment was interupted for a week due to a hospital stay to treat slight pneumonia and neutropenic fever but he was able to get all rads and chemo as planned after he was released. We are now nearing 4 weeks post rads and his throat pain is worse than ever. We’d hoped he’d be on the upswing by now but his pain has actually increased. Today he’s even having problems drinking water. He went in for a mouth rinse and was examined by his nurse two days ago but she saw no infection or thrush present to explain thIs increase in pain. The majority of the other side effects have virtually dissappeared so that’s been positive but this pain is the worst it’s been. He’s actually upped his fentanyl patches and Oxy from where he had weened himself down. He continues to do rinses but Is there something else he can do? Has anyone else had this type of “setback“? He’s becoming very dispondent and discouraged with this increased prolonged pain. Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Comments

• Hygienist97
    Hygienist97 Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2018 #2
    Also 4 weeks post

Hello, my husband is also 4 weeks post treatment for right side tonsil cancer HPV spread to lymp node No neck dissection, radiation both sides.He ended up with the feeding tube last week of treatment which was a lifesaver for him. His throat is still pretty sore he can’t take the pain medication prescribed by doctor makes him ill, so we alternate Tylenol and Motrin and have found green tea with Manuka Honey has helped heal the throat and also recently he has added a lozenge called THAYERS slippery elm bark and he says he feels that’s really helping a lot. Of course every one is different so not sure if these things will help your husband but worth a try. My husband actually ate teaspoons of the Manuka honey afte his tonsil came out and it helped it heal.Good luck hope he feels better soon.

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 446 Member
    edited April 2018 #3
    Its normal

Honestly - and sorry, the weeks after are worse.

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    Its par

This scenero was the normal for alot of us on this site. Honestly the few months after treatment ended were the worst times, personally. Just hang tough, use the pain medication thats why they give it to you. Sips and Chips if that is all he can do. It does end eventually.  He has made it through the forest. Don't let a few tree's stop him now.  Good Luck.

• AnnG1978
    AnnG1978 Member Posts: 4

Also 4 weeks post

Hello, my husband is also 4 weeks post treatment for right side tonsil cancer HPV spread to lymp node No neck dissection, radiation both sides.He ended up with the feeding tube last week of treatment which was a lifesaver for him. His throat is still pretty sore he can’t take the pain medication prescribed by doctor makes him ill, so we alternate Tylenol and Motrin and have found green tea with Manuka Honey has helped heal the throat and also recently he has added a lozenge called THAYERS slippery elm bark and he says he feels that’s really helping a lot. Of course every one is different so not sure if these things will help your husband but worth a try. My husband actually ate teaspoons of the Manuka honey afte his tonsil came out and it helped it heal.Good luck hope he feels better soon.

To start, I’m sorry you are

To start, I’m sorry you are experiencing this and i wish your husband a Full and speedy recovery. Thank you for your response. We had recommendations for tea and NZ medical grade honey but we didn’t follow through because ultimately there wasn’t definite results from other sources. We will definitely revisit based on your experience. Im going to try that Thayers as well. Best wishes. Thanks again. 

• AnnG1978
    SuzJ said:

Its normal

Honestly - and sorry, the weeks after are worse.

Thank you

The nurses told us it wouldn’t happen quickly. We expected a struggle but my husband didn’t expect to Be stalled in improvement for this long. Thank you for your input. Knowing this is “normal” really helps. Bless you and best wishes. 

• AnnG1978

Its par

This scenero was the normal for alot of us on this site. Honestly the few months after treatment ended were the worst times, personally. Just hang tough, use the pain medication thats why they give it to you. Sips and Chips if that is all he can do. It does end eventually.  He has made it through the forest. Don't let a few tree's stop him now.  Good Luck.

Thank you!!!!

Bless you for responding! I guess I knew this wouldn’t be a new situation on this site. I looked through the message boards and there are so many people going through this but with different conditions unique to each person. My husbands’ nurses continue to try to reassure us that all of this is “normal” but it’s not normal to us. It’s reassuring to know you have experienced it.