Correct answer please!

Suez39
Suez39 Member Posts: 165 Member

Good morning HN members

I have a question that maybe someone can help me with since it's bothering me. I am going to have a peg (feeding tube) placement next week. The resident doctor scared me because he said a long tube will b placed in my nose and will go down esophagus through chest n go down More until it is next to ur atomach. Doctor said I will be "sedated" but Awake!! I want to have anesthesia cause I choke n gag when a scope just goes through nose into my throat. Has anyone who had a peg tube placement was knocked out n sleeping when you had it done? I do not want to be semi concious during this procedure. Saw doctor but was too stunned and forgot to ask him. I don't like resident docs that much cause feel they don't throughly explain everything involved.I'm just trying to get through rads n chemo without worrying about this. Hope you guys can help me. Thanks a whole big bunch!!

Comments

• corleone
    corleone Member Posts: 312 Member
    First you need to clarify the

First you need to clarify the terminology used. From the description, he described the nasogastric tube (insertion). However, PEG (Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy) is different; the tube is passed into the stomach directly (through the abdominal wall) via a small puncture, done under mild sedation. Most of us had PEG, and they went through procedure with only minor incidents. Again, you don’t need general anesthesia (that comes with a bunch of risks on its own) for that.

• pmsakom
    pmsakom Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2018 #3
    We had the same concern

Hi,

My husband also has a very strong gag reflex.  When they were going to put in his PEG they used similar language and we were alarmed.  He did not want to be awake in any way shape or form.  The doctor then explained to us that what most of us think of as being knocked out is really just sedated.  As an example they asked if we had had a colonoscopy.  We both had.  They asked if we remembered anything about it.  Neither of us did.  We thought we were knocked out - in fact, I joke that it is the best sleep I've ever had.  That was sedated.  To the doctors, it is very different than having general anesthesia.  To a regular person, and what we experience, it's knocked out.  I hope this helps.  Bottom line, husband did not recall anything and was "out". 

I agree with Corleone though.  A PEG and what you described are two different things.  You might want to check out which he is getting. 

Melissa

• Suez39
    Clarification

The doctor said I am having a peg tube put in. The tube they put in ur nose down to ur stomach is called an endoscope. It has a camera at the end which allows the doctor to see stomach lining to find a spot for peg tube. The doctor then makes small cut in abdominal wall so peg tube can be inserted. I hope this clarifies what i'm having done. So my concern is that I want to properly be sedated. 

• Suez39
    Sedation

Thank you pmsakom for explaining the sedation process. That helped me alot. My doctor said it only takes 10-15 min for the whole procedure. Did  your husband have to drink barium. (White liquid) the night before? It's like a coating so they can see where your stomach is for proper placement. Doctors should explain things in a better way so we can understand exactly what is being done. Thank you for your response.

• corleone
    corleone Member Posts: 312 Member
    Suez39 said:

Clarification

The doctor said I am having a peg tube put in. The tube they put in ur nose down to ur stomach is called an endoscope. It has a camera at the end which allows the doctor to see stomach lining to find a spot for peg tube. The doctor then makes small cut in abdominal wall so peg tube can be inserted. I hope this clarifies what i'm having done. So my concern is that I want to properly be sedated. 

Thanks for clarifying.

Thanks for clarifying.

I had the same thing; I barely remember it, and I didn’t find the procedure horrible, most likely due to sedation. I wouldn’t be worried about this. After insertion you will be given pain killers that will be effective for a few hours. The pain became very intense afterwards (at least in my case); make sure you are given pain killers, just in case that happens.

Also, before the sedation, I had to sign a consent, and they quickly enumerated some side effects, death among others… oh boy. Anyway, as I said don’t be concerned about that, they have to cover their a... from a legal perspective.

• Dean54
    Dean54 Member Posts: 160 Member
    edited March 2018 #7
    Knocked me out

Sedated or what ever you want to call it but woke up in recovery with the tube attached.No barium. Not trying to scare you but like corleone said, mine became painful in the recovery area, extremely painful. They had to rush in and put some fentanyl in my IV.

They sent me home with a bottle of pills also and did need them for a few days. Good luck sweetie and let us know how it goes.

• Suez39
    Better understanding

Thank you guys for your comments. I'm still kinda nervous but have to be a trooper and go through with it. I'm sorry you guys had pain afterwards. That's tough to handle especially when you have to get use to peg. I will let you know how I make out. I appreciate your feedback. I have to give everyone credit cause you already went through it and you still help newbies like me. Hugs to you!

• nancytc
    nancytc Member Posts: 70 Member
    Hi Suez

Everything I am reading here is exactly what I remember going through. I was sedated...they called it a twilight, the tube went down my nose into my stomach and I think they blew up something like a balloon inside to press my stomach against my abdominal wall, though I barely remember it. The Surgeon explaining the risks beforehand. I didn't do the Barium, but it makes sense, as you want him to find the right spot, as there lies the risk. My main memory was the intense pain after the procedure and needing the pain killers STAT! Then, being very sore for a couple days. I did feel good enough to get wheeled right into my radiation treatment for the day.

I was so very thankful to get the Peg, so I was a happy camper. I was one of those who could not even swallow my own saliva for a couple weeks. But now I am living a nearly normal life one year later! Hitting the gym most days, hiking, adventuring, staying busy!!!

Best,

Nancy

• DanceSkater
    DanceSkater Member Posts: 62
    Suez39 said:

Better understanding

Thank you guys for your comments. I'm still kinda nervous but have to be a trooper and go through with it. I'm sorry you guys had pain afterwards. That's tough to handle especially when you have to get use to peg. I will let you know how I make out. I appreciate your feedback. I have to give everyone credit cause you already went through it and you still help newbies like me. Hugs to you!

It's Natural

It's natural to be a bit nervous and/or scared of a procedure you've never had nor know nothing much about.  I sure was !!!   I'm the bigget chicken around !!

I did not have to drink any barium.  Not sure if they went down my nose or mouth.  Like others have written, you'll be out enough that you won't know what's going on and won't feel what they're doing.  They just don't put you as "far under" as they do for MAJOR surgery.

As I mentioned in another reply post to you, the incision/insertion site (stomach area) will hurt for a few days.   

Take a deep breath.  You'll do fine.  

• Suez39
    Hi Nancy

So good to hear from you again. Glad you have such a good memory of what you went through. But have to tell ya you scared me alittle when you said you had intense pain when procedure was over with. I sympathize with you not swallowing for a few weeks. I can barely swallow water now. I really admire you alot. The radiation treatments did'nt bother you that much and seemed like you had a good recovery. Did you have to wear a radiation mask and have chemo too? I will have both. It's really hitting me. 35 rad treatments and 7 chemo. A long time! Feeling down about it but trying to be optimistic. The rad nurse called in a prescription for Ativan for me. I asked her what is this Magic Mouthwash everyone speaks of. She said it's called BMX and it's for when you have pain when you swallow. Best wishes to you and keep in touch. 

• Suez39
    Natural

Thx Dance skater for your thoughts on this. Hoping I come out ok from this procedure. I'm a big chicken too!