NHL causes?

Did anyone who was diagnosed with NHL had some kind of x Ray test few months before diagnosis? For example breast cancer mammogram? Asking because my wife was diagnosed with nhl and 2 months before that she had 2 mammograms done with x rays. And nhl showed up right between the breasts. Trying to find the connection...

Comments

• CritterMamaLori
    CritterMamaLori Member Posts: 42
    I have NHL

I hadn't been to a doctor or anything medical in over 20 years. Started with swelling in my neck. Went straight to biopsy and told I have Non Hodkins Lymphoma Type B Intermediate. I don't think there is a connection.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    None

Idiom,

You seek a "connection" that medical science is unaware of. All of the best hematological journals, all University websites, the ACS: they all state that the cause of Lymphoma is virtually always unknown.  The most common theory is random corruption of DNA during cell replication, and replications occur many millions of times in a person's life.

Mamogramms are mostly regarded as safe, life-saving proceedures, similiar to CT and PET.

Radiation-induced cancers are mostly to the thyroid or leukemia.  There is a nuclear power plant about 50  miles from my home.  The heath department has tens of thousands of doses of a chemical that can prevent thyroid cancer in nearby residents in the case of a major contamination incident.  This is because they know that most post-meltdown cancers are precisely to the thyroid.

max

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,461 Member
    Agent Orange

in viet Nam is an exception, as the FedGov will offer bennies to those exposed to it and later developed NHL.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    po18guy said:

Agent Orange

in viet Nam is an exception, as the FedGov will offer bennies to those exposed to it and later developed NHL.

Correct

Correct, Po.

I was a vendor in the VA system for about a year, and actually the VA offers free cancer care to vets for virtually any cancer now who were exposed to Agent Orange.  Lymphoma is just in that big pile of malignancies that were approved. My other cancer, Prostate, for instance, is also free care to any vet exposed to Agent Orange, period.

It seems to me that accountants took charge in this situation, and dictated that anyone exposed to Agent Orange (an ever-shrinking number) will just get free oncology care. It is cheaper and has less bad publicity than reviewing cases individually (and who wouldn't rather pay adoctor for services than a lawyer?).  I applaud this policy incidentally, and feel it is best for the veterans.

Agent Orange is chemically very similiar to the chemical basis of Roundup, although Agent Orange is many hundreds of times more concentrated.

Class Action lawyers have been dreaming of big dollar suits against Roundup for many years, mostly so far with poor success.  Proof of this is if you go to Lowe's today in early spring, whole pallets of Roundup are at the front door, for sale to the public.

As a veteran with cancers exposed long-term to numerous forms of radiation and other toxins, I get cold solicitations all the time from law firms to sue the government....I tell them to take me off their autodialers, which of course they refuse to do, like all of the other scam artists harassing the public daily with their "services."

max

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 896 Member
    Agent Orange

AO is nearly harmless however it was manufactured in a way which led to impurities (dioxin and also pcb- polychlotinated bi-phenyls) which, though measured in ppm, are very toxic. As It was explained to me the manufacturers cooked it at too high a temperature resulting in impurities. To my knowledge it bears very little resemblance to Roundup. Having spent years in Nam in my late teens and lived in Minnesota by a soybean farm treated with Roundup I have probably been overexposed to both. Also like Max I worked in electronics which uses capacitors and transformers with pcb in their dielectric. We all remember that toxic smell when a capacitor blows. Nasty stuff. I have no opinion about AO and cancer. Evidence is sketchy at best. Anyway no bennies for civilian contractors.

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 896 Member
    edited March 2018 #7
    Another known source of PCB contamination ....

for decades military comm centers, including ships and older subs, used teletype machines with multilayered pressure sensitive paper. This paper was used for making copies when something was printed. That pressure sensitive paper used pcbs as a main ingredient. It was everywhere and handled by most everyone with bare hands. It also produced lots of dust in confined areas. When they finally got rid of it it was considered a hazardous waste.