Colon Cancer and metastasize to Lungs

Comments

• Rica10
    Rica10 Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2018 #22
    tanstaafl said:

looking around

Another lung surgery available internationally is Rolle's laser lung surgery with some serious advantages, like up to 100 mets removable.  Rolle and Ladas are now retired, but there are others that need to be searched out.

We were able to control small lung nodules with nonstandard immunochemo and off-label adjuncts, along with larger metstases elsewhere.                          #1200

Hi Tanstaafl, does Dr. Rolled

Hi Tanstaafl, does Dr. Rolled and Dr. Ladas have any successors? Is there a counter version here in America? 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member

They came back.  My onc

They came back.  My onc explained them as essentially dandelion seeds that were too small when imaged but grew and then were visible. The surgery ( Stanford)  was not really that bad to come back from. Liver surgery was tougher for me but i still always kept teaching and coaching throughout the years. As they came back, they were removed. 2 wedge resections and 2 open. There is hope....There are more long term survivors than on here. i only occassionaly comment but there are others here. I still ski and surf so even with the areas and lobes removed, I still am doing well. 

All my best

Chip

Good to See you posting

Always good to see your posts and thanks for sharing your information.  You have been a part of this board of many years and you give many of them hope.  Glad you are doing well.

Kim

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited January 2018 #24
    Rica10 said:

Hi Tanstaafl, does Dr. Rolled

Hi Tanstaafl, does Dr. Rolled and Dr. Ladas have any successors? Is there a counter version here in America? 

developing options

There are successors and other clinics in Germany.  Canada has at least one Rolle capable surgeon, last I heard.  Don't know about UK (post Ladas). India ?  I don't think the laser has been approved by the FDA in the US but that might not be current information either.   Maybe Kirschbaum's clinic leads somewhere.

These searches are intensive enough you will need to pursue leads and details, then hopefully share and update these boards. If you report back, you may co-generate more shared options in a ping-pong manner.  

• James_B
    James_B Member Posts: 14

Well, I am new to your site

Well, I am new to your site and in the same boat. Colon, liver lung.   With surgeries just in my lungs now. But have done many things. I practice alternative medicine bc I believe that you have to keep your body strong while on these toxic drugs. I try to analyze this is simple terms. I believe keeping the mind strong is very powerful: I meditate, thank my body for working with me, and take many herbs to support each organ.  I don't use the negative words to fight cancer, I tell the cancer I love it bc it is part of my body but it is time for you to go back to the universe since the earth can handle it long term. This may sound weird but it works for me. I am now on a iimmuno target drug and off chemo and stable with tx every two weeks. I like to alter my treatment bc I think cancer cells have their own way of hiding. I mix up my herbs, I'll delay tx by a day or two, I'll do  green drinks, then lay off, I practice gersons therapy,-modified, dr.rife, drink filtered water and vitamins and cannabinoid oils and barely eat beef, no dairy, and high carb foods. I'm not advocating that you do any of this. I'm telling my story. I find what's really upsetting is that if I find a clinical trial pertinent to me, you have to be part of that hospital to access that clinical trial which is difficult if it's across the country. Also, for example, now I am trying to get Vitamin C intravenous and according to the information I have read it must be in high doses which you cannot get  in the US unless someone knows differently, please let me know.  

WOW !

You sound like a DIY Doctor !?!?! :) 

• James_B
    James_B Member Posts: 14
    Rica10 said:

Thanks

Thank you Chip. It is not easy to live day by day more so with the side effects this cancer brought. On the other hand 11 years is amazing! Congratulations. I am under a larger hospital. Thats the good thing about my place majority of the cancer Treatment are Hospitals and is an Institution. I am scheduled tomorrow for VATS for Biopsy and this is my first time to have one in this hospital. Wish me luck. 

Best Regards,

Rica

Good Luck Rica10 

Good Luck Rica10 

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    PADAVE1 said:

Howdee

Hi there - I'm new to the board - saw your bio and seem like we might be in a similar situation - I have a few mets in lungs and 1 on liver. on FOLFIRI + Avastin now - Im at MSKC -  What chemo / treattment are you on now?  TY - Dave

Hey Dave, you win the best

Hey Dave, you win the best dressed picture award on the board. Nice to have you here though sorry for why you're here.

• BGNor
    BGNor Member Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2018 #28
    tanstaafl said:

developing options

There are successors and other clinics in Germany.  Canada has at least one Rolle capable surgeon, last I heard.  Don't know about UK (post Ladas). India ?  I don't think the laser has been approved by the FDA in the US but that might not be current information either.   Maybe Kirschbaum's clinic leads somewhere.

These searches are intensive enough you will need to pursue leads and details, then hopefully share and update these boards. If you report back, you may co-generate more shared options in a ping-pong manner.  

Rolle laser

Hi

I looked up your suggestion about the Rolle laser and I found that the clinic in Germany is still doing surgery with the same method. A new surgeon has taken over after Dr.Rolle.

Clinic: http://www.fachkrankenhaus-coswig.de/zentren/laserzentrum/laser-centre.html

Regards, BG

• vtspa6
    vtspa6 Member Posts: 172
    edited March 2018 #29
    Lung mets...

Husband still has them in all lobes but they are very tiny.  I think he has around 3 spots.  He just finished his 63rd folfori/with avastin treatment.  The chemo is still working and keeping it from growing or spreading. July 2015 is when all this started.

• azuza
    azuza Member Posts: 1
    Lung Mets from colon cancer

My Mom has lung 5 mets in both lungs. She is in 2 days chemo: day 1-Gemzar/Irinotecan/5FU (all low dosage), day2-oxaliplatin (low dosage). On Friday she had CT scan and it seems that her nodules are stable or slightly increased by 1-2 mm, or is just a diff reading. So doc wants now to add Methotrexate. I was researching cyberknife, but not sure if it can be used on 5 nodules. they are pretty big now. 3 aroung 1cm, one is 2cm and one is 4cm. Did anyone have Methotrexate? appretiate any feedback. 

• plsletitrain
    plsletitrain Member Posts: 252 Member
    vtspa6 said:

Lung mets...

Husband still has them in all lobes but they are very tiny.  I think he has around 3 spots.  He just finished his 63rd folfori/with avastin treatment.  The chemo is still working and keeping it from growing or spreading. July 2015 is when all this started.

63rd??

Was that a typo or it was really 63? Man I'm stopping at 8 even.  Your husband is one tough nail!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Dmac1957 said:

Hello Friends

Hello Friends

I am new to the board. I was pleased after reading the thread. It’s not the usual Debbie Downers and Whiners. I was diagnosed in 09/2014 and had surgery in 12/2014. The surgery removed the bottom 16” and Woke up with a colostomy bag. It was not for me and I had reversal in May 2015. I’ve accepted the constant need for Depends and with meds have developed some what of a routine. The 15 lymph nodes removed were all negative. Yet 9 months later a ctscan showed I had 6 mets in my lungs. 2 were 2cm x 3cm. I survived 12 rounds of the works. Avistantin, Oxyplatin and 5 FU. I lost 28 lbs in the process. Follow up scan showed 3 very small nodules remaining. After 8 months of a break, scan showed 6 nodule. Again, two were in the 2 x 3cm size. I have taken Irit (sp?) and  Xelota For 18 weeks. The treatments just tore my inners up and today my onco told me I was getting a 6 week break. Other then the need for the Depends I have no cough, shortness of breath, pain or anything. I have survived 3 1/2 years of this fight. Today, the onoc told me when I come back he would start me on a drug called Lonsurf. I went back to work. When I got to a computer I looked up info on the drug. I was shocked to read it could extend life for 7.1 months. My Dad passed in ‘11. He was a 16 year survivor of colon cancer. He had met show up after 8 yearsyears and they removed a lobe. And, it returned in another 8 years. He got pneumonia during treatments and we lost him. My question is. With no symptoms why am I 

Hello DMac

Welcome to the forum. 

I am glad you have found it a happy place. We do have a whine every now and again, but for the most part, we'er all about helping each other through the trials that we or our loved ones are going through. 

We're happy to help you through yours as well. 

First off, don't pay any attention to stats. If they get in your head, they will consciously or subconsciously rule you. Tell yourself that you are going to beat the odds, no matter what, and then, if you don't, well, so be it. 

May I suggest you copy and paste your post, or start a new one on the forum home page, here https://csn.cancer.org/forum/128

that way, other people answering you won't hijack this original thread. 

I am sorry about your dad. WE may all think 16 years survival is good, until we're at 15 years, then we all want more. We always want more time. 

I look forward to seeing your new thread on the forum home page. 

Tru

• Dmac1957
    Dmac1957 Member Posts: 17
    Trubrit said:

Hello DMac

Welcome to the forum. 

I am glad you have found it a happy place. We do have a whine every now and again, but for the most part, we'er all about helping each other through the trials that we or our loved ones are going through. 

We're happy to help you through yours as well. 

First off, don't pay any attention to stats. If they get in your head, they will consciously or subconsciously rule you. Tell yourself that you are going to beat the odds, no matter what, and then, if you don't, well, so be it. 

May I suggest you copy and paste your post, or start a new one on the forum home page, here https://csn.cancer.org/forum/128

that way, other people answering you won't hijack this original thread. 

I am sorry about your dad. WE may all think 16 years survival is good, until we're at 15 years, then we all want more. We always want more time. 

I look forward to seeing your new thread on the forum home page. 

Tru

Thank you, Tru
    Will do

Thank you, Tru

Will do

• Dmac1957
    Dmac1957 Member Posts: 17
    Hello Friends

Hello Friends

I am new to the board. I was pleased after reading the thread. It’s not the usual Debbie Downers and Whiners. I was diagnosed in 09/2014 and had surgery in 12/2014. The surgery removed the bottom 16” and Woke up with a colostomy bag. It was not for me and I had reversal in May 2015. I’ve accepted the constant need for Depends and with meds have developed some what of a routine. The 15 lymph nodes removed were all negative. Yet 9 months later a ctscan showed I had 6 mets in my lungs. 2 were 2cm x 3cm. I survived 12 rounds of the works. Avistantin, Oxyplatin and 5 FU. I lost 28 lbs in the process. Follow up scan showed 3 very small nodules remaining. After 8 months of a break, scan showed 6 nodule. Again, two were in the 2 x 3cm size. I have taken Irit (sp?) and  Xelota For 18 weeks. The treatments just tore my inners up and today my onco told me I was getting a 6 week break. Other then the need for the Depends I have no cough, shortness of breath, pain or anything. I have survived 3 1/2 years of this fight. Today, the onoc told me when I come back he would start me on a drug called Lonsurf. I went back to work. When I got to a computer I looked up info on the drug. I was shocked to read it could extend life for 7.1 months. My Dad passed in ‘11. He was a 16 year survivor of colon cancer. He had met show up after 8 yearsyears and they removed a lobe. And, it returned in another 8 years. He got pneumonia during treatments and we lost him. My question is. With no symptoms why am I 

• dcramsey
    dcramsey Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post

Hi, my name is David Ramsey and I was diagnosed 12/01/2016 with Stage 3 N4 rectal cancer. I've been through radiation and chemo, surgery and chemo. I thought I was finished when the scan showed matastesis to my lungs. It's not a stretch to say I'm scared. I'm being treated at Duke Cancer Center in Durham, they have been wonderful but I'm wondering how many here sought a second opinion as to thier treatment options?

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited March 2018 #36
    dcramsey said:

This is my first post

Hi, my name is David Ramsey and I was diagnosed 12/01/2016 with Stage 3 N4 rectal cancer. I've been through radiation and chemo, surgery and chemo. I thought I was finished when the scan showed matastesis to my lungs. It's not a stretch to say I'm scared. I'm being treated at Duke Cancer Center in Durham, they have been wonderful but I'm wondering how many here sought a second opinion as to thier treatment options?

Hello there dcramsey

May I suggest you start your very own thread and that way folks will be able to answer your question. 

Here is the link to the forum home page https://csn.cancer.org/forum/128

Tru

• 6Schnauzers
    6Schnauzers Member Posts: 4
    tanstaafl said:

looking around

Another lung surgery available internationally is Rolle's laser lung surgery with some serious advantages, like up to 100 mets removable.  Rolle and Ladas are now retired, but there are others that need to be searched out.

We were able to control small lung nodules with nonstandard immunochemo and off-label adjuncts, along with larger metstases elsewhere.                          #1200

My Husband Just Diagnosed with Stage 4 Mestastic Colon Cancer

4 weeks ago he had surgery to remove the mass in his colon.  He is going to the oncologist next week. He has it in his lungs and liver.  Does anyone know the best hospitals in the USA for lung and liver cancer and the newest technologies available?? 

• 6Schnauzers
    6Schnauzers Member Posts: 4
    dcramsey said:

This is my first post

We are in Atlanta Georgia. 

We are in Atlanta Georgia.  We were told Winship Cancer Center in Atlanta is good and we want a second opinion on treatment and long range outcomes as well.  We are thinking about flying to MD Anderson to get a opinion also.  I would like to hear where other people have gone and what new technologies are out there for Mestastic Colon Cancer that has spreat to the liver and lungs.

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368

Well, I am new to your site

Well, I am new to your site and in the same boat. Colon, liver lung.   With surgeries just in my lungs now. But have done many things. I practice alternative medicine bc I believe that you have to keep your body strong while on these toxic drugs. I try to analyze this is simple terms. I believe keeping the mind strong is very powerful: I meditate, thank my body for working with me, and take many herbs to support each organ.  I don't use the negative words to fight cancer, I tell the cancer I love it bc it is part of my body but it is time for you to go back to the universe since the earth can handle it long term. This may sound weird but it works for me. I am now on a iimmuno target drug and off chemo and stable with tx every two weeks. I like to alter my treatment bc I think cancer cells have their own way of hiding. I mix up my herbs, I'll delay tx by a day or two, I'll do  green drinks, then lay off, I practice gersons therapy,-modified, dr.rife, drink filtered water and vitamins and cannabinoid oils and barely eat beef, no dairy, and high carb foods. I'm not advocating that you do any of this. I'm telling my story. I find what's really upsetting is that if I find a clinical trial pertinent to me, you have to be part of that hospital to access that clinical trial which is difficult if it's across the country. Also, for example, now I am trying to get Vitamin C intravenous and according to the information I have read it must be in high doses which you cannot get  in the US unless someone knows differently, please let me know.  

Good for you!

Sounds like you are doing well taking your health into your own hands. Yes, you should be able to find a place that offers intravenous Vitamin C. There are several near me in SE Michigan. I did it as frequently as 2x a week. 100g takes about 2 to 3 hours. Enjoyable experience. I am now doing mistletoe injections and they've greatly improved my quality of life. But unfortunately my cancer is still growing and spreading on my liver. I am going to try chemo now.

• Travelmom
    Travelmom Member Posts: 14
    Mets..hair..scans

Good morning. It's been awhile since I've been on. I am normally the ultimate optimist but I'm feeling down today. I have a scan on Wed and I guess I'm just getting "scanziety". I also have been such a trooper through all this...if I may say so myself...lol...but now I am losing ALL my hair. I know it's nothing compared to what others have lost.. and I try to keep reminding myself of that. I was a beautiful, natural red head with long, thick hair. It was how people described me. I wanna cry everytime I look in the mirror. So I stopped looking. Anyway..on to head scarves and wigs. I really am sorry for complaining on here but you guys are all so gracious. Anyway...also not to high jack the subject....I too have mets to the lungs that shrank a wee bit after 4 rounds of Folfieri. I just finished round #8. My dr never mentioned surgery. When does that get considered? 

SometimesI just want to go to bed and not get up. But I have 3 wonderful children and a good husband. What would they do w/o me? Thanks for listening folks.

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Travelmom said:

Mets..hair..scans

Good morning. It's been awhile since I've been on. I am normally the ultimate optimist but I'm feeling down today. I have a scan on Wed and I guess I'm just getting "scanziety". I also have been such a trooper through all this...if I may say so myself...lol...but now I am losing ALL my hair. I know it's nothing compared to what others have lost.. and I try to keep reminding myself of that. I was a beautiful, natural red head with long, thick hair. It was how people described me. I wanna cry everytime I look in the mirror. So I stopped looking. Anyway..on to head scarves and wigs. I really am sorry for complaining on here but you guys are all so gracious. Anyway...also not to high jack the subject....I too have mets to the lungs that shrank a wee bit after 4 rounds of Folfieri. I just finished round #8. My dr never mentioned surgery. When does that get considered? 

SometimesI just want to go to bed and not get up. But I have 3 wonderful children and a good husband. What would they do w/o me? Thanks for listening folks.

Hair

Travelmom, I understand how you feel. It sucks to lose your ginger hair but I promise this will pass. I know your family sees you as beautiful with or without hair. 

I see you are a fellow Eagles fan. If so, then I know you are tough!  Hang in there.

K