Anxiety?

CarlosRosado
CarlosRosado Member Posts: 88 Member
edited March 2018 in Kidney Cancer #1

Week 6 after surgery 

I started going to work for no more than 4 hrs / day   Felling very tired after that 

Had some bloating for a couple of days with some discomfort and diarrhea ( 3 days). I visit my Dr and he told me it was lack of physical exercise 

Last 3 days

Severe Muscle weakness that last 2 days 

Rash on my neck and left wrist

Swollen neck lymph node , right side for the last 2 days. Minor pain

Anxiety? 

What should I do? 

Comments

• Justinb40y
    Justinb40y Member Posts: 22
    Take second opinion

Hi Carlos,

Go for second opinion

Thanks,

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Hi Carlos,

Sorry you are going through this. I would bug your doctors left and right about anything that is bothering you. A lot of what you describe is probably just your body still healing from a very invasive surgery...you had a surgeon messing with a major organ so your body needs a whole lot of time for healing and rest. If you don't get answers from your docs or aren't satisified with their answers, go for a second opinion. I know that it is so hard not to worry about pains and twinges and weird feelings. My thoughts and prayer are with you. God bless.

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Working after Surgery

Hi Carlos,

Your bio doesn't mention if you had a partial or radical nephrectomy? Did they remove your whole kidney?

I went back to work after 6 weeks after my nephrectomy. I also was exhausted by 3-4pm in the afternoon. It was like that for a few months. The first year I had some really weird symptoms and a lot of them. Maybe some was anxiety, but maybe some was real stuff going on in my body getting used to the missing kidney ro the healing process. I went to the ER or to the doctors many times that first year.

Try and find ways to relax if you can. For me, every night I listened to the meditation CD that Gerald White made. It's guided imagery for cancer patients. He was a long time RCC survivor that wrote a book and did this meditation CD. I found his meditation CD so helpful. You can google Gerald White MAARS. I enjoyed the CD, not so much the book, but see what helps you.

Keep raising your concerns to your doctors. If the doctor you are seeing isn't addressing your concerns, get a second opinion. I ended up at one of the US Cancer Centers (City of Hope). I found them to be much more understanding of cancer than a conventional hospital. All the patients where I go have cancer or have had cancer and the doctors there see only people with cancer (currently or former) and I just found them to be incredibly sensitive to the anxieties of cancer patients.

I found a support group for RCC and another for cancer patients in general. I went religiously those first few years. I found it helped connecting with others and talking to them about my worries.

The first year I even got a therapist that I saw weekly to talk to about my anxiety and issues. My family had long since moved on and that was one of my frustrations with my family and close friends. They just didn't seem to get it.

Then come here and read and post. Smartpatients is a good place to go too.

Hope you feel better soon.

Best to you,

Todd

• CarlosRosado
    CarlosRosado Member Posts: 88 Member
    todd121 said:

Working after Surgery

Hi Carlos,

Your bio doesn't mention if you had a partial or radical nephrectomy? Did they remove your whole kidney?

I went back to work after 6 weeks after my nephrectomy. I also was exhausted by 3-4pm in the afternoon. It was like that for a few months. The first year I had some really weird symptoms and a lot of them. Maybe some was anxiety, but maybe some was real stuff going on in my body getting used to the missing kidney ro the healing process. I went to the ER or to the doctors many times that first year.

Try and find ways to relax if you can. For me, every night I listened to the meditation CD that Gerald White made. It's guided imagery for cancer patients. He was a long time RCC survivor that wrote a book and did this meditation CD. I found his meditation CD so helpful. You can google Gerald White MAARS. I enjoyed the CD, not so much the book, but see what helps you.

Keep raising your concerns to your doctors. If the doctor you are seeing isn't addressing your concerns, get a second opinion. I ended up at one of the US Cancer Centers (City of Hope). I found them to be much more understanding of cancer than a conventional hospital. All the patients where I go have cancer or have had cancer and the doctors there see only people with cancer (currently or former) and I just found them to be incredibly sensitive to the anxieties of cancer patients.

I found a support group for RCC and another for cancer patients in general. I went religiously those first few years. I found it helped connecting with others and talking to them about my worries.

The first year I even got a therapist that I saw weekly to talk to about my anxiety and issues. My family had long since moved on and that was one of my frustrations with my family and close friends. They just didn't seem to get it.

Then come here and read and post. Smartpatients is a good place to go too.

Hope you feel better soon.

Best to you,

Todd

Hi

Hi

it was partial... this is my week 7 

I am working 5-6 hurs every day....taking it slow...

I am accepting the fact that I have to learn to live with some episodes of anxiety/panic fir the rest of my life but 

probably thats what it will keep me alert ....

Thinking to see a terapist Asap .... 

right now I am dying for a cold beer( I havent had any in 3 months)... just waiting for my last visit with my urologist next week and I will see

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Anxiety/Panic

It will get less over time. It does take some time, but be patient.

Try the meditation CD. He has a very calming voice and it is a very nice guided image meditation. I just listened to it as I was falling asleep every nite. Gerald had a huge tumor and was Stage IV RCC and I think he did the IL2 treatment and was clear of RCC for several decades even though he had been told he would not live more than 6 months at the time. It really helped me to do his meditation. He said that this was one thing that really helped him to become cancer free.

I doubt a cold beer would hurt anything. :)

Todd