MOHs on the tip of nose

Lizard51
Lizard51 Member Posts: 2

Just diagnosed with carcinoma on my nose tip.  Diagnosis is actually Infiltrative Carcinoma, extending to deep and lateral margins.  It says pattern is concerning for a microsystic adnexal carcinoma.  Scheduled for MOHs in September.  Had surgery 4 years ago for stage II nodular melanoma.  Just wondering what to expect with the MOHs.

Comments

• Terisita
    Terisita Member Posts: 12
    MOHs side of nose

Had a MOHs surgury was very painful, they did not get it all, back again for radiation hope it takes, how are you, by now you've had your surgury

• Debbysue
    Debbysue Member Posts: 16 Member
    Hubby also had MAC

My husband also had surgery on his face for MAC, although his surgery wasn't MOHs. (Tumor was too big.) How did yours go, & how are you doing now?

• Mocha_n_cookies
    Mocha_n_cookies Member Posts: 1
    Mohs

Hi, just diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma on my nose, near tip and right nostril. I am scheduled for Mohs procedure on January 30th. Any comments would be helpful, this is my first time with skin cancer. Thanks

• Shiraz61
    Shiraz61 Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2017 #5
    Mohs for me too

I'm due for Mohs to deal with a BCC on my face by my ear.  January 8th.  I had a Melanoma removed earlier this month and that was painful after the freezing wore off. Couldn't sleep that night at all, and it continued to be sore over the next week.  I'm expecting similar pain with the Mohs, depending on how much they take. It's still an incision, cutting into your body.  Not looking forward to it, especially if it requires more than one go at it and spending hours at the Dermatologist.  I'll write back with my experience after the 8th.  Good luck everyone!

• sunshine_64
    sunshine_64 Member Posts: 50
    Advice for MOHs experience

It may take awhile as they freeze and test tissue in real time, with specific margins of surrounding tissue showing "no cancer." You may be sitting with others with ice packs on

their incision, which is a strange scene. The cut until it's safe, and, the amazing findings from research is that it has an incredibly high cure rate. It can be

a long day. Bring lunch (they usually start in the morning) and stay calm. The MOHs surgery experts know what they are doing.

• Shiraz61
    Shiraz61 Member Posts: 15

Mohs

Hi, just diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma on my nose, near tip and right nostril. I am scheduled for Mohs procedure on January 30th. Any comments would be helpful, this is my first time with skin cancer. Thanks

Had my Mohs

On Monday, I had my Mohs surgery for the Basal Cell Carcinoma that was on my cheek by my ear.  Got there at 8:30 and didn't leave til 2:45! I was hoping for the all clear after the first incision but I had to have 3 layers taken which was disappointing.  It's not painful because they freeze the area first, and I had to have a couple of top-ups between when I felt that it was "thawing out", like when your freezing starts to fade after the dentist when you get that tingling feeling.  Anyway, I didn't have to wait as long as expected for the three test results as it was a slow day there, thankfully. They said it could take 60-90 minutes but it took just over 30 minutes for the first two and about 50 minutes for the last one.  I waited with my husband in a special waiting room with comfortable recliner chairs.  They brought us sandwiches, chips and fruit juice at noon.  We both brought stuff to read and do like Sudoku & crosswords to pass the time.  Even though it was frozen, I could sense and "feel" everything that was going on, and smell that horrible odor of burning skin during the cauterization.  But just so glad I couldn't really feel anything.

Then I got stitched up, which took the longest.  A bandage was placed over it and I got a prescription for an antibiotic ointment as well as a course of antibiotics to take twice a day.  I had to leave the bandage on for 48 hours and not get it wet.  I had to take it easy and not lift or strain, or even walk for exercise for the first 72 hours. It was very painful after the freezing wore off.  I couldn't sleep the first night and the second night wasn't much better, despite taking Percocet.  I took the bandage off last night and was shocked to see a 2 inch stitched up wound, longer than the wide incision they did for my Melanoma last month.  

This whole ordeal - Mohs and the wide excision - has sure scared me off of getting any sun exposure!  Been slopping on the sunscreen religiously and I bought a few wide-brimmed hats that also cover the back of my neck.  It's winter so it's easier to avoid the sun, even here in Florida but when it gets hotter I'm going to have to be extra paranoid because I do not want to go through this again.  Good luck to everyone getting this procedure done.  It's not terrible but it's also not that pleasant either.  It hurts and then there's the stress of waiting for results.  

• Tonig
    Tonig Member Posts: 8
    Basal cell on nostril opted for radiation therapy.

The plastic surgeon said that I would have a better cosmetic outcome with radiation so I am more than midway through.  The area being treated is

red  but no other negative effects from the radiation.  I wonder if your doctor suggested radiation therapy for you?

• Tonig
    edited March 2018 #9

Mohs

How did your surgery work out?

I hope all goes well..I only just joined this website so I didn't see your comment until now.  I'm currently going through radiation on my face.

Toni

• Tonig
    Terisita said:

MOHs side of nose

Had a MOHs surgury was very painful, they did not get it all, back again for radiation hope it takes, how are you, by now you've had your surgury

How did your radiation treatments go?

I'm currently undergoing radiation on my nostril....would you please tell me how long it took for the redness and your skin to look normal after radiation?

Thanks, and hope you're doing well.

Toni

• D.Marie
    D.Marie Member Posts: 2
    Just diagnosed with Basal cell on tip of nose

Dermatologist did biopsy which confirmed BCC on the tip of my nose. MOHS is planned next month. He mentioned a scar and if I did not like it, I could have a scar revision. This was the ONLY treatment option offered. Has anyone had Plastic Surgery remove BCC and do reconstruction? How about Oncology Surgeon? It seems that Dermatologists are the main ones to remove skin cancer and do reconstruction. 

• EBIZ
    EBIZ Member Posts: 2
    Tonig said:

Basal cell on nostril opted for radiation therapy.

The plastic surgeon said that I would have a better cosmetic outcome with radiation so I am more than midway through.  The area being treated is

red  but no other negative effects from the radiation.  I wonder if your doctor suggested radiation therapy for you?

I had radiation for a BCC on my nasal tip in 2009.  Just diagnosed with a nodular BCC in the same area 9 years later.  I am concerned  about the success of the forehead flap recommended due to the issues with radiated skin previously.  Does anyone have any information to share?

• EBIZ
    EBIZ Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2018 #13
    D.Marie said:

Just diagnosed with Basal cell on tip of nose

Dermatologist did biopsy which confirmed BCC on the tip of my nose. MOHS is planned next month. He mentioned a scar and if I did not like it, I could have a scar revision. This was the ONLY treatment option offered. Has anyone had Plastic Surgery remove BCC and do reconstruction? How about Oncology Surgeon? It seems that Dermatologists are the main ones to remove skin cancer and do reconstruction. 

Just diagnosed with BCC on tip on nose after radiation in 2009

I had radiatoin for a BCC on the tip on my nose in 2009.  Just diagnosed with a nodular BCC on the tip of my nose in the same place.  My dermatologist referred me to a plastic surgeon that recommends a forehead flap; however, it is difficult due to my radiated skin and my concern is will it work.  The plastic surgeous recommends leaving the flap connected for 6 to 8 weeks rather than the normal 3 to 4 weeks for a person with normal skin.    I have done lots of research and found 2 drugs for people with locally advanced BCC, one called Odomzo and the other is Everidge.  Has anyone used the drugs?