Dealing with nerve pain.

Steph85
Steph85 Member Posts: 166 Member
edited March 2018 in Kidney Cancer #1

I'm 7 weeks post op now. I'm still taking tramadol and ibuprofen to help with pain. I bend down wrong i get that cramping feeling or sharp pain near my incision site and deep with in from right side abdomen even to my back. ( I had a open right partial nephrectomy). It takes my breath away. I'm ready to just put this all behind me! My question is, how long does this last? Is it normal to still have pain on my right side abdomen back and hip? How do you treat it? Some days just seem worse than others.

Thank you! 

-Stephanie

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Every day

Steph,

At this point everyday should get a little better with maybe a bad day in between.

icemantoo

• Supersum
    Supersum Member Posts: 109 Member
    edited March 2018 #3
    Everyone has a different

Everyone has a different experience do you think you are slowly getting better? One thing you can do is to try not to aggravate it by bending akwardly or putting some other strain on it.

Perhaps you should be slowly decreasing the painkillers as a sign that things are getting better (I should have kept a diary I can't remember exactly how long the pain lasted but I remember I was still in pain getting out of bed after 4 weeks).

Some people recommend not taking ibuprofen with only one kidney it is too much of a risk. Might be better to take the alternative such as paracetamol for lighter pain and codeine for worse pain. Get some advice on this if you are not sure.

<quick edit> I see you have had a partial nephrectomy but still good to look after your kidneys.

• Mighty Frog
    Mighty Frog Member Posts: 152 Member
    Ibuprofen??

Agreed with Supersum...  Our situation is not good to consume NSAID (Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs) which is not very good to our kidneys. Try check with your doctors for others alternative.

• Steph85
    Supersum said:

Everyone has a different

Everyone has a different experience do you think you are slowly getting better? One thing you can do is to try not to aggravate it by bending akwardly or putting some other strain on it.

Perhaps you should be slowly decreasing the painkillers as a sign that things are getting better (I should have kept a diary I can't remember exactly how long the pain lasted but I remember I was still in pain getting out of bed after 4 weeks).

Some people recommend not taking ibuprofen with only one kidney it is too much of a risk. Might be better to take the alternative such as paracetamol for lighter pain and codeine for worse pain. Get some advice on this if you are not sure.

<quick edit> I see you have had a partial nephrectomy but still good to look after your kidneys.

My Urologist said it was okto

My Urologist said it was okto take ibuprofen for 3 weeks. I was surprised he said it was ok. I am slowly gettimg better. I agree with tapering off the pain meds.  When I bend down I just don't think about it. I go to grab something off the floor and then pow! Oops... Shouldn't have done that! Thank you for your reply.

Steph

• Steph85
    I was surprised when my

I was surprised when my urologist said to take it. He said 400 mg 3 times daily for 3 weeks.  I haven't been taking it that much and this is my last week. I have to be good to my remaing 1 and 1.6th kidney's! 

Steph