B/C & the Immune system

Joany57
Joany57 Member Posts: 20

I had a Mastectomy in September 2017. No chemo or radiation, I only take anastrozole. I know chemotherapy weakens ones immune system but what about having breast cancer in general? I was put on 2 antibiotics for a tooth abcess and about a week later I got sick with what is apparently a virus, which I've been having for 5 days now. All the while still taking both antibiotics. I know they have no affect on viruses, but none the less had me wondering about our immune systems.

Joany

Comments

• peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    edited February 2018 #2
    A healthy microbiome is part of the answer

Joany, You might benefit from familiarizing yourself with some of the research on the microbiome.  I think the concensus is that a healthy mcirobiome (primarily the gut bacterial community) is vital for a overall health and a healthy immune system

Here is a recent public talk by Erica Sonnenburg, PhD.  She and her husband run the Stanford Sonneburg lab which studies this very issue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miEngVBrrIc&t=3754s

My main take aways from this talk, and other resources, are -

Make sure your diet includes at least 30 grams per day of fiber from natural sources (mostly vegetables, some fruit, and small amount of nuts)

Avoid antibiotics unless really needed.  When anitbioics are used use a probiotic at the same time - VSL#3, which is high potency and has been studied in hospital settings is a good source.  And eat fermented foods.

• Joany57
    Joany57 Member Posts: 20
    peterz54 said:

A healthy microbiome is part of the answer

Joany, You might benefit from familiarizing yourself with some of the research on the microbiome.  I think the concensus is that a healthy mcirobiome (primarily the gut bacterial community) is vital for a overall health and a healthy immune system

Here is a recent public talk by Erica Sonnenburg, PhD.  She and her husband run the Stanford Sonneburg lab which studies this very issue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miEngVBrrIc&t=3754s

My main take aways from this talk, and other resources, are -

Make sure your diet includes at least 30 grams per day of fiber from natural sources (mostly vegetables, some fruit, and small amount of nuts)

Avoid antibiotics unless really needed.  When anitbioics are used use a probiotic at the same time - VSL#3, which is high potency and has been studied in hospital settings is a good source.  And eat fermented foods.

Microbiome

Wow, lots of good information in that video. I'm am definitely going to research this more and see what ways I can improve my eating for a healthier gut. Thank you for sharing that, peterz.

Joany