Who had robotic partial nephrectomy?

2»

Comments

• LVCancerWarrior
    LVCancerWarrior Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017 #22
    Partial nephrectomy

Had a partial nephrectomy 12/13/2017 At Summerlin Hospital,Las Vegas Nv. Was a 4hr procedure.Dr saved the kidney and most of it's function.One of the larger tumors He has seen. Clear margins reported 9days later via biopsy,CANCER FREE! The surgery was done via DaVinci robot,and the trocar holes are healing nicely. The mid-line one is a bit "Wonky' as the nerve that was cut is NOT pleased,and continues to twinge/irritate. It is subsiding as time goes,and is getting used to it's new reality. Several things to consider/do

1-WALK as quickly after awakening as possible. They inflate You w/nitrogen,and just like the Proctologist office,they have a strict recycling policy,and You have to "Give it back' via flatulence. Combined w/the pain preventing nerve-block injections they give pre-surgery *after asleep,no worries* Your body needs assistance in getting the gas out. It is INCREDIBLY uncomfortable,and no,tums/rol-aids will NOT help. One thing does..Walking Alot. All you can stand. Don't be shy,if You need to pass gas,rest assured the nurses wont bat an eye,and may even grade You *I got a 9.5 for execution*.

2-Use the pain pills sparingly. With the DaVinci surgery,one of the pluses is that it is four holes *Plus one for a JP Drain* rather than splitting ya open like a ripe cantalope. The pain is fairly minimal,though sleeping will be a bit of a chore the first few days.

3-consider clothing choices post-surgery. I wore sweats/t-shirt home,and recommend as light a clothing as possible.

Food-Eat as You feel You are able to stand. I ate little/nothing the 1st day post surgery *Had it at 0500hrs,off table at 0935hrs* and that was eggs/bacon from the hospital commissary. They forgot to "Order' food for My room from the kitchen. No biggie. Be GENTLE on Your newly repaired/removed kidney. No need for habanero infused foods washed down w/rye...Try a nice easy meal,and easy on the sugar/alcohol. Had a few glasses of wine w/Xmas dinner last night and My kidney let Me know *Not amused...*

Treat Your surgical wounds carefully.Avoid showers until Dr says it is ok. I used baby-wipes,and sink-bathing until Dr said it was ok. It sucks not being able to relax in the hot water,but then again,so does impending doom from a sick kidney,so it all comes out in the wash right?

SUPPORT-Ask for it. There are MANY options available to Cancer Warriors and their families. ACS has support options/information available,and all one need to do is ask.They'll send it via text,email,snail-mail,pigeon delivery,etc. The point is,your struggle is NOT yours alone,and You are NOT expected to bear it as such. Lean on the experts,those who've been there/done that. Allow Your family to do the same. They will be Your rock when You come home.They will be the ones literally doing the heavy lifting for several weeks after surgery. Do them the favor of opening a dialog with them,kids,adults alike. The recovery is smoother when everyone knows what to expect,and has had their fears eased with knowledge and honesty. Especially children.

most important. YOU ARE NOT A VICTIM. You are a WARRIOR. We only get that which We can handle. Therefore,YOU Have been given a opponent who attacks in the dark,with no face,yet endangers Your life and that of Your family. You can,You will,YOU MUST fight this with every ounce of Your being. The time for tears and for anger will come,for now,a fight is afoot and one must treat it so,imo. You will prevail.With knowledge,with technology,with medicine,with support.

YOU CAN DO THIS-

LVCancerWarrior-Fighting On Your side

• Edmonton333
    Edmonton333 Member Posts: 1

Partial nephrectomy

Had a partial nephrectomy 12/13/2017 At Summerlin Hospital,Las Vegas Nv. Was a 4hr procedure.Dr saved the kidney and most of it's function.One of the larger tumors He has seen. Clear margins reported 9days later via biopsy,CANCER FREE! The surgery was done via DaVinci robot,and the trocar holes are healing nicely. The mid-line one is a bit "Wonky' as the nerve that was cut is NOT pleased,and continues to twinge/irritate. It is subsiding as time goes,and is getting used to it's new reality. Several things to consider/do

1-WALK as quickly after awakening as possible. They inflate You w/nitrogen,and just like the Proctologist office,they have a strict recycling policy,and You have to "Give it back' via flatulence. Combined w/the pain preventing nerve-block injections they give pre-surgery *after asleep,no worries* Your body needs assistance in getting the gas out. It is INCREDIBLY uncomfortable,and no,tums/rol-aids will NOT help. One thing does..Walking Alot. All you can stand. Don't be shy,if You need to pass gas,rest assured the nurses wont bat an eye,and may even grade You *I got a 9.5 for execution*.

2-Use the pain pills sparingly. With the DaVinci surgery,one of the pluses is that it is four holes *Plus one for a JP Drain* rather than splitting ya open like a ripe cantalope. The pain is fairly minimal,though sleeping will be a bit of a chore the first few days.

3-consider clothing choices post-surgery. I wore sweats/t-shirt home,and recommend as light a clothing as possible.

Food-Eat as You feel You are able to stand. I ate little/nothing the 1st day post surgery *Had it at 0500hrs,off table at 0935hrs* and that was eggs/bacon from the hospital commissary. They forgot to "Order' food for My room from the kitchen. No biggie. Be GENTLE on Your newly repaired/removed kidney. No need for habanero infused foods washed down w/rye...Try a nice easy meal,and easy on the sugar/alcohol. Had a few glasses of wine w/Xmas dinner last night and My kidney let Me know *Not amused...*

Treat Your surgical wounds carefully.Avoid showers until Dr says it is ok. I used baby-wipes,and sink-bathing until Dr said it was ok. It sucks not being able to relax in the hot water,but then again,so does impending doom from a sick kidney,so it all comes out in the wash right?

SUPPORT-Ask for it. There are MANY options available to Cancer Warriors and their families. ACS has support options/information available,and all one need to do is ask.They'll send it via text,email,snail-mail,pigeon delivery,etc. The point is,your struggle is NOT yours alone,and You are NOT expected to bear it as such. Lean on the experts,those who've been there/done that. Allow Your family to do the same. They will be Your rock when You come home.They will be the ones literally doing the heavy lifting for several weeks after surgery. Do them the favor of opening a dialog with them,kids,adults alike. The recovery is smoother when everyone knows what to expect,and has had their fears eased with knowledge and honesty. Especially children.

most important. YOU ARE NOT A VICTIM. You are a WARRIOR. We only get that which We can handle. Therefore,YOU Have been given a opponent who attacks in the dark,with no face,yet endangers Your life and that of Your family. You can,You will,YOU MUST fight this with every ounce of Your being. The time for tears and for anger will come,for now,a fight is afoot and one must treat it so,imo. You will prevail.With knowledge,with technology,with medicine,with support.

YOU CAN DO THIS-

LVCancerWarrior-Fighting On Your side

Thank you

Recently diagnosed with renal mass and now having a robotic partial nephrectomy.  Your post was very informative and answered a lot of questions I had/have about the what afters.  I hope all is well. 

• uwss
    uwss Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018 #24

Well I had the partial kidney removal and when I woke up I had:  right eye abrasion, neck injury, shoulder injury and left arm injury.  To date, I am still fighting with the VA.  The key in this is the surgeon.  So, do your research and never let a VA doctor operate on you.