Other cysts after diagnosis

I have a cyst on my left ovary, that has been there since last year.  It was noted on the scans, but we were more worried about the kidney tumor and put the cyst to the backburner.  It wasn't causing me pain or issues, and my GYN told me its normal for women to have cysts.  Now all the sudden I am having issues.  I had 2 periods in January, and yesterday I started cramping, having pain on my left lower side and hip and back, and spotting.  Not an actual "flow" but spotting a few times a day when I urinate.  Does RCC spread to the ovaries at all?  Should I be concerned that this cyst is actually something to do with my RCC diagnosis?  I have an appt to get it checked out, but today the pain is worse than it was yesterday and so my anixety is going crazy.  Any signs symptoms I should be looking out for?  Specific things I should ask the doctor?

Comments

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    edited February 2018 #2
    Scans

When was your last set of scans?  If you had them since your September surgery AND they were clear, then most likely it's the cyst that's causeing these issues.  As far as RCC spread, though not as common, it can spread to overies.  I'd make an appointment with your GYN and see what is going on.

Good luck!

Stub

• Babygirl05
    Babygirl05 Member Posts: 42
    Yes, my scans in december

Yes, my scans in december were clear for my kidneys but the cyst on my ovary was still there. 

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member

Yes, my scans in december

Yes, my scans in december were clear for my kidneys but the cyst on my ovary was still there. 

Did the December scan

Did the December scan indicate any change in the size, shape or composition of the cyst?

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    Maybe an answer...

I would suggest an OB-Gyn for a follow up.  There are a number of things that are not cancer that can cause the symptoms you are having.  Yes, an ovarian cyst can be one of them, and if it bursts-as it eventually does-it can be excruciating.  I was driving when mine ruptured and I nearly ran off the road.  Other things he/she could check for are cervical polyps, which can cause spotting, uterine fibroids, and last, Endometriosis.  None are fun to have.  And when all my tests were completed, I had all of the above.

By then I was 44, both my kids were in college or HS, and I didn't plan to have any more kids...so had the works removed plus laser cutting to remove the Endo throughout the pelvis. That caused some adhesions, which were cleaned up during a subsequent cancer surgery.

RCC is rarely found in ovaries, but maybe your Onc. can help expedite an apptointment with a Gynecologist.

Meanwhile, take acetominephen and use a heating pad on your abdomen....and try to RELAX till you know what you're dealing with.

Good Luck and Hugs,

donna_lee

• Babygirl05
    None of my scans have ever

None of my scans have ever mentioned the size of the cyst.  I guess because they were primarily looking at my kidney they just noted that the cyst was there but didn't list its size.  I'm hoping to find that out friday.  I'm curious if it has grown over all these months.  I have an appt with my GYN on friday, so I'm hoping she will give me an ultrasound to get some new measurements or to check and see whats going on.  I know I had a fibroid once before but I had it removed during a different surgery. 

My sister had endometresois real bad when she was younger.  She ended up with a partial hysterectomy by the time she was 30. 

Donna lee, did you have spotting before your cyst burst?  Every time I start cramping I'm afraid its going to burst and I'm going to be in severe pain. 

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    Ovarian cysts can be

Ovarian cysts can be excruciating!! I dealt with one about a year ago and let me tell you how awful it was!!! They unfortunately can come and go. I have endometriosis as well and all those pains go along with it. The pain definitely radiates to the hip and back area. Have you been checked for it since it is in the family?? It is not fun. Especially since we are sensitive enough in the lower abdomen as it is. I hope you are feeling better soon. Also, as far as I have heard, kidney cancer (if it indeed does spread) will go to the lungs or liver. 

• Babygirl05
    My appt is tomorrow so I'm

My appt is tomorrow so I'm going to insist on more testing to see whats going on.  They told me that the cyst in my kidney was "just a cyst" and it turned out to be CCRCC.  I'm done taking chances with my life. 

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    edited February 2018 #9
    Cysts can grow and diminish

Cysts can grow and diminish over time, so it would be good to get some baseline measurements on these suckers.  I think heading to the GYN and making sure you get those baselines is a really good idea.  Best wishes.

• Angiebby75
    Angiebby75 Member Posts: 208 Member
    I also have an ovarian cyst.

I also have an ovarian cyst. Its the been there prior to my kidney surgery. The doctors where never really concerned.  It hasnt grown but i have an ultrasound set to check up. I do have pain in that area sometimes. 

• Babygirl05
    My GYN seems to think its

My GYN seems to think its nothing to worry about, but she is giving me an ultra sound today to "make me feel better" about it. 

• Angiebby75
    Angiebby75 Member Posts: 208 Member

My GYN seems to think its

My GYN seems to think its nothing to worry about, but she is giving me an ultra sound today to "make me feel better" about it. 

Babygirl how, did your ultra

Babygirl how, did your ultra sound go. I went for my ultra sound of my ovaries the other day and my doctor was shocked to tell me your cyst is gone and your ovaries look great. It was still there three months ago at my first set of scans and it has been there about a year.  I know with rcc we can worry about it coming back in other areas. I do make note of every headache and backache or any ache. I am trying to get better with worry.  But it can just be a benigning issue also. Prayers that yours will be similiar and give you some relief.  I am praying for a complete healing for us all.

• Steph85
    Steph85 Member Posts: 166 Member
    I'm going through the same

I'm going through the same thing! I've had ovarian cysts I guess come and go on my right ovary. I had it before I had my right side flank pain from my tumor. I had my open partial nephrectomy and 2 days while in the hospital I started my period a week early. This month I thought I started my period 2 weeks early but the cramping, right breast pain and bloating was the cyst I guess because the bleeding lasted for 2 days now its just old blood. Sorry for the full description but I've been freaking out about it. I'm on the same birth control for years and all of a sudden I'm getting these cysts. I do have a microadenoma on my pituitary gland diagnosed as benign 3 years ago.. Just wondering now If it grew and is now messing with my hormones or if its rcc. Aye... Having cancer than having the surgery is worse enough! Keep me posted on whats going on, I'm going to contact my gyn next week. Good luck my dear!

Stephanie

• Babygirl05
    My ultra sound came back

My ultra sound came back normal.  The cyst has gotten a little bit smaller so she thinks its going away like it should.  There is a little bit of free floating fluid in my pelvis, so she said the cyst could be leaking or burst and thats what caused some of my pain and cramping. 

I also had a CT scan last week that my urology doctor ordered.  I wasn't even aware he ordered it until the nurse called to schedule it.  I am having issues with UTI's and can't seem to get rid of this one so I guess thats why he ordered it.  The CT came back ALL CLEAR.  What a relief.  Now to just get rid of this infection! 

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    edited February 2018 #15
    Steph85 said:

I'm going through the same

I'm going through the same thing! I've had ovarian cysts I guess come and go on my right ovary. I had it before I had my right side flank pain from my tumor. I had my open partial nephrectomy and 2 days while in the hospital I started my period a week early. This month I thought I started my period 2 weeks early but the cramping, right breast pain and bloating was the cyst I guess because the bleeding lasted for 2 days now its just old blood. Sorry for the full description but I've been freaking out about it. I'm on the same birth control for years and all of a sudden I'm getting these cysts. I do have a microadenoma on my pituitary gland diagnosed as benign 3 years ago.. Just wondering now If it grew and is now messing with my hormones or if its rcc. Aye... Having cancer than having the surgery is worse enough! Keep me posted on whats going on, I'm going to contact my gyn next week. Good luck my dear!

Stephanie

Steph, I too got my period 1

Steph, I too got my period 1 week early. Must have been the stress of the surgery on my body. My whole life my periods have been perfect. Now my cycle is at least 5 days shorter!!! I was told the tumor can throw out strange hormones so maybe our bodies are adjusting to their new norm.

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    edited February 2018 #16
    Good news

Glad to hear "normal," "smaller," "little bit," and -- especially "ALL CLEAR"!

Congrats, and we'll all be sending bye-bye infection thoughts your way.

• Babygirl05
    edited February 2018 #17
    JerzyGrrl said:

Good news

Glad to hear "normal," "smaller," "little bit," and -- especially "ALL CLEAR"!

Congrats, and we'll all be sending bye-bye infection thoughts your way.

Thanks!  Hoping it clears up

Thanks!  Hoping it clears up quickly!!