Could my mom have uterine cancer? Really scared here.

Hi everyone. I'm sorry if I am being a bother but I would love some advice. 

My mother is 61 years old, post menopausal and has dealt with endometrial polyps her whole life. She finished treatment for stage 1 breast cancer last November and due to the chemotherapy, she started bleeding again from the polyps but the bleeding always went away after a day or so. About a week ago, she started to bleed and now the bleeding won't stop. She went to the doctor and he sent her for an ultrasound on her uterus today. Her tech said that the only thing he saw on the scans were her uterine lining being quite thick but no polyps or tumors or anything. They sent the scans off to be read by the radiologist and then her doctor and we will not hear anything until Monday. So far her only symptoms has been the bleeding, no pain or weight loss or anything else. Could this be uterine cancer? I know ya'll are not doctors so I apologize for sounding pushy but we just go through everything wtih her breast cancer and I guess I just need something to get thru the weekend. Thank you and sorry for being a pain. Regina. 

Comments

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2018 #2
    Never a bother

Don't ever think you are a bother when you post here. We are all here for each other and will help where we can.

Don't blame you for being gun-shy about another cancer popping up after your mom just battled breast cancer, but she wouldn't be the first to have that happen to her. We have a member, Double Whammy, who had that happen to her, so it is possible.

Post menopausal bleeding is definitely a symptom not to be ignored, but there's no way to know if it's from cancer until she has some further testing done. It's a process to get from concern to definitive answers and the waiting for it all to happen has been tortuous for all of us as we've been on our journeys. It's going to be a long weekend for you, I'm afraid, and then she'll probably have to have more testing beyond what she's had so far before your fears are either confirmed or laid to rest. Praying for it to be the latter.

Keep us updated on how things are going. Crossing my fingers, eyes, and toes for you and your mother!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    MAbound is right, post

MAbound is right, post menopausal bleedig is never good.  I honestly don't know if an ultrasound has definitely been used to diagnose cancer and she might want to see if they can do a D&C.  Small polyp will be captured and tested.  I would caution you not to get too far ahead of yourself but have her push to get some answers.  

• ReginaMarie
    ReginaMarie Member Posts: 23 Member

MAbound is right, post

MAbound is right, post menopausal bleedig is never good.  I honestly don't know if an ultrasound has definitely been used to diagnose cancer and she might want to see if they can do a D&C.  Small polyp will be captured and tested.  I would caution you not to get too far ahead of yourself but have her push to get some answers.  

Yeah she said is definitely

Yeah she said is definitely going to have a D&C and even if this all turns out to be negative or another cause that's not endometrial cancer, she is talking about having a hysterectomy either way. She's had problems with polyps her whole life and had D&Cs to have them corrected but she's never had this, if that makes sense. It's never been this bad. I wonder if chemotherapy can make polyps worse. 

• saltycandy13
    saltycandy13 Member Posts: 167 Member
    absolutely!

Dear ReginaMarie:  first of all, stay calm.  But reading your mom's story is exactly how I started.  Post menopausal bleeding.  That was my only symptom.  I had several transvaginal ultrasounds through the years and and had a thick endometrium anywhere from 9mm to 5mm. 

I had 3 d/c in the past 5 years.  At first, polyps were always benign on biopsy but in November 2017, I began to bleed again.  Another D/c reveal atypical endometrial hyperplasia which means pre cancer.

I had hysterectomy 2 weeks ago and bingo, stage one uterine cancer.  Please don't depend on just the ultrasound.  Further testing is needed.

best of luck

Karen

• ReginaMarie
    edited February 2018 #6

absolutely!

Dear ReginaMarie:  first of all, stay calm.  But reading your mom's story is exactly how I started.  Post menopausal bleeding.  That was my only symptom.  I had several transvaginal ultrasounds through the years and and had a thick endometrium anywhere from 9mm to 5mm. 

I had 3 d/c in the past 5 years.  At first, polyps were always benign on biopsy but in November 2017, I began to bleed again.  Another D/c reveal atypical endometrial hyperplasia which means pre cancer.

I had hysterectomy 2 weeks ago and bingo, stage one uterine cancer.  Please don't depend on just the ultrasound.  Further testing is needed.

best of luck

Karen

Saltycandy13, Thank you! From

Saltycandy13, Thank you! From what I understand, uterine cancer caught early (stage 1 and 2) is extremely treatable, right? I read that in some cases in stage 1, chemotherapy isn't even needed. I know we will get thru this, whatever it is, it is just so QUICK after her breast cancer. Just, who did we tick off in a past life? Thank you again! 

• saltycandy13
    saltycandy13 Member Posts: 167 Member

Saltycandy13, Thank you! From what I understand, uterine cancer caught early (stage 1 and 2) is extremely treatable, right? I read that in some cases in stage 1, chemotherapy isn't even needed. I know we will get thru this, whatever it is, it is just so QUICK after her breast cancer. Just, who did we tick off in a past life? Thank you again! 

absolutely!

you are welcome.  We are all here to help.  I have no futher treatment.  Just have to go for checkups for recurrence with a small chance of that having happen.

Lots of times bleeding is just a fibroid which is usually benign or polyps like I had in the beginning which were benign but they do bleed bright red blood and I was gushing.

Unfortunately it has to be checked out.  With stage 1, I was told I'd be okay because of my total hysterectomy.  I am now cancer free

• ReginaMarie

absolutely!

you are welcome.  We are all here to help.  I have no futher treatment.  Just have to go for checkups for recurrence with a small chance of that having happen.

Lots of times bleeding is just a fibroid which is usually benign or polyps like I had in the beginning which were benign but they do bleed bright red blood and I was gushing.

Unfortunately it has to be checked out.  With stage 1, I was told I'd be okay because of my total hysterectomy.  I am now cancer free

Salty, That's wonderful to

Salty, That's wonderful to hear, I am so glad you are doing well. 

Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself, that IF this is cancer, it's been caught super early and it's just going to be another hitch in our plans. We are trying so hard to move on, so much has happened in the last two years so this is going to be another setback. Thank you again! 

• MrsBerry
    MrsBerry Member Posts: 102 Member
    I am really sorry your mom is

I am really sorry your mom is going through this, so soon after the ordeal of breast cancer. She and your family must be upset, understandably. She likely already knows that cancer means a lot of waiting for test results and appointments. 

If it is endometrial cancer, it is treatable, and often found very early, because of the bleeding presentation. Take one step at a time, breathe, support your mom, and live every day as fully as you can. The lovely ladies here will be here for you, if you need to “talk.”

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    edited February 2018 #10

ReginaMarie, Stage 1 - GRADE 1 - which is often referred to as "typical garden variety type of cancer" (also defined as a Type I) does not usually get treatment.  However, Stage 1 - GRADE 3 (defined as a Type II) is an aggressive form of uterine cancer and there are several of us here who have had chemo and even radiation.  Cancer may be detected during a D&C and it is usually the hysterectomy is where they do a full pathology.  

• ReginaMarie

ReginaMarie, Stage 1 - GRADE 1 - which is often referred to as "typical garden variety type of cancer" (also defined as a Type I) does not usually get treatment.  However, Stage 1 - GRADE 3 (defined as a Type II) is an aggressive form of uterine cancer and there are several of us here who have had chemo and even radiation.  Cancer may be detected during a D&C and it is usually the hysterectomy is where they do a full pathology.  

NoTimeForCancer, thank you

NoTimeForCancer, thank you very much for letting me know in the just in case. I hope you don't mind me asking, what is the survival rate for women with stage 1 grade 3 uterine cancer? If it's treated right away, that is? Because I cannot find any information on that, just on the grade 1 kind. My mom's BREAST cancer was grade 3 and the survival rate was 90% past five years. I wonder if it's like that - the same stage of aggressiveness for all cancers in one person. 

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571

Your Mom is blessed to have such a thoughtful daughter. You are advocating for her by asking questions about her health on this discussion board. It sounds like your Mom hasn’t had a uterine biopsy yet either. I was 53 years old when I started bleeding. My ultrasound was normal. However my biopsy was positive for endometrial cancer. Bleeding after menopause is highly suspected to be uterine cancer BUT that may not be the case for your Mom. Survival rates for Endometrial cancer can be quite good (generally). My heart is heavy for your Mom and you as you wait for results. Try to stay fully present in the moment as you wait for the testing result. Easier said than done when you have “anticipatory grief” thinking about what the future could bring IF your Mom is diagnosed with cancer again. 

We will keep you and your Mom in our prayers. Please know we are here for you and your Mom. Post again when you can.

Lori

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    Polyps

I don't suppose there's much chance that your mother might have cervical polyps instead of endometrial ones this time. That could be one reason why nothing was found in the way of an endometrial polyp.  Chances are she had a vaginal exam, though, so that's probably not the case.  i had bleeding many times over the years and had about 6 polyps removed off the cervix, often one every year.  At one point, I had a benign endometrial polyp.  Ten years later, my endometrial polyp was not benign.  I had stage IVb uterine papillary serous carcinoma (UPSC).  UPSC is a sneaky little devil.  People with lower stages have passed away while some of us with higher stages are still here.  My cancer came back after 7 years in 2017 although I had no lymph node involvement.  It wrapped itself around my ascending colon.  But I battled it again and am now in remission for the second time.  My doctor suspects I may get it back again in another 5 years or so.  I think your mother's idea to have a hysterectomy is wise, and I hope she doesn't end up with problems like I've had.  Even getting a hysterectomy isn't foolproof if the cancer has spread, but it certainly lessens the odds of developing it later.  I hope I'm not being too pessimistic and scaring you. 

• ReginaMarie
    edited February 2018 #14
    pinky104 said:

Polyps

I don't suppose there's much chance that your mother might have cervical polyps instead of endometrial ones this time. That could be one reason why nothing was found in the way of an endometrial polyp.  Chances are she had a vaginal exam, though, so that's probably not the case.  i had bleeding many times over the years and had about 6 polyps removed off the cervix, often one every year.  At one point, I had a benign endometrial polyp.  Ten years later, my endometrial polyp was not benign.  I had stage IVb uterine papillary serous carcinoma (UPSC).  UPSC is a sneaky little devil.  People with lower stages have passed away while some of us with higher stages are still here.  My cancer came back after 7 years in 2017 although I had no lymph node involvement.  It wrapped itself around my ascending colon.  But I battled it again and am now in remission for the second time.  My doctor suspects I may get it back again in another 5 years or so.  I think your mother's idea to have a hysterectomy is wise, and I hope she doesn't end up with problems like I've had.  Even getting a hysterectomy isn't foolproof if the cancer has spread, but it certainly lessens the odds of developing it later.  I hope I'm not being too pessimistic and scaring you. 

Actually no, she has not had

Actually no, she has not had that yet. The doctor wanted to get her bleeding stopped before he examined her so he gave her progesterone. It's been two days and she says her bleeding has slowed right down and she's due to see him again on Tuesday so I believe that is when she will have a full exam and he will tell her the results of the ultrasound. If the ultrasound is negative I have a feeling that a D&C will be next to rule out cancer. My mom said she's pretty sure the doctor will recommend a full hysterectomy either way which she will do. 

Gosh I feel like I am whining here and it's not even happening to me. Thank you all so much all of you for the wonderful support and information. Regina.