were you tired before diagnosis?

Options
Wednesday
Wednesday Member Posts: 22 Member

Hello, All:

I was just told that I have some kind of cancer but we don't know what kind yet. I have a swollen lymph node in my neck so had bloodwork, a CT scan, and an ultrasound. The bloodwork came back normal (so no infections) but the CT scan showed a mass in my tonsil as well as the lymph node being dark inside, which according the doctor (if I understood him correctly - frankly, my head is still kind of swimming from all of this), means that it looks suspicious. He scheduled me for a biopsy of the lymph node and offered to do a tonsil biopsy right there. I should have said yes, but I really hate needles in my mouth (he said, "It will be similar to having work done at the dentist." Um, not exactly reassuring! LOL). Also, I was afraid my insurance would refuse if I didn't get a prior authorization. I called them this morning and they said I don't need PAs for a biopsy, so I guess that was a needless worry. But, on to the needFULL worries....

The doctor said it is likely either carcinoma or lymphoma but he thinks likely carcinoma and easily treatable (I'll bet says that to all the girls - ha ha).

So, until I find out exactly what the heck is going on, I am wondering about some of my syptoms and wondering if anyone else experienced similar symptoms before their diagnosis.

I have been suffering from almost crippling fatigue for at least a year now. All bloodwork always comes back normal: no anemia, no thyroid issues, no vitamin deficiencies, etc. So my primary always says there is nothing wrong with me. But I can FEEL that something is wrong. This level of tired is not normal.

Also, I have been getting migraines every so often for many years, but a few weeks ago I had migraines every other day for almost 2 weeks. I do usually get a migraine right before I come down with an illness like a cold or flu, but not usually this many. Then I noticed the lymph node swollen. Usually I ignore stuff like that but I've never had just one lymph node swollen before. They usually swell in pairs on each side of my neck. Also, it's usually different nodes, not the one that was swollen this time. So, I went to the primary who said it's probably notihing but get thee to an ENT - stat - just to be safe. And that brings me back to the beginning of this saga.

Anyone else have fatigue and/or migraines before diagnosis? Thank you in advance for any responses.

p.s. I'm trying not to freak out. I have two small children (ages 7 1/2 & almost 10). I really don't want to leave them. That is my biggest worry. I'm trying to be positive. I know that attitude makes a big difference.

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    welcome new one

Wednesday,

Welcome to the H&N forum, I am sorry that you are here.

You have not had a biopsy to confirm cancer.  Yeah, you may not have cancer (fingers crossed).

I had no fatigue or migraines, but I did have one swollen lymph node and stage  IVa SCC, on the base of my tongue.

Treatment for H&N cancer is a little more intense than a dental visit, but keep your humor going, it is necessary for making sense of this stuff.

It does no good to freak out, but it does good to get smart and if you do have cancer I can just about guarantee you will learn a lot.

Matt

• aak16
    aak16 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Good luck

I wish you the best of luck that you receive negative biopsy results for cancer and that you can actually figure out what's causing your fatigue and migraines. I didn't experience either before my diagnosis.  I do however, want to point out that while cancer treatment isn't the funnest thing in the world, getting the diagnosis isn't a death sentence. You may end up needing some help but the good thing is that you most likely won't be leaving your children because of this. Cancer is treatable. Good luck and try not to worry too much while you're waiting!

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    SCC base of tongue for me. No

SCC base of tongue for me. No fatigue or any other symptoms other than a raised node in my neck. 

Good luck!

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    2nd head..

I didnt get migraines (that could be stress) I was more tired than usual.

Hopefuly you are just a visitor to this board and not a resident.

• Wednesday
    Options
    Thank you!!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I truly appreciate it.

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi Wednesday,

I didn't have any fatigue or migraines either.  I merely woke up one morning with big swollen lymph node on my neck.  No pain, no nothing.

I concur with aak16 above...  Hopefully you get an all clear...  but if not, like all things there is a broad continuum of how things can proceed moving forward.  Some suck.  Some, not so bad at all.  Take things one step at a time.  Hopefully you have a good support system at home...  don't go to appointments alone.  Take a family member, take a relative, take a friend...  That way you can celebrate together or they can hold you up when you feel like falling down.

Good luck and hope to never see you on this board again...but we're here.

Brandon

• dwp155
    dwp155 Member Posts: 30
    edited February 2018 #8
    Options
    tired

As everyone has said don't freak out, it is curable.  Not fun, but doable.  I went the same route with testing as you have and it wasn't until we finally did the node biopsy, pet scan and throat biopsy that treatment was set up.  The best advice is to find a partner or 2, someone who is level headed and can attend all of the diagnosis appointments with you and take a notebook with all the previous diagnosises.  My wife and sister was my team and if one could not make it I still had the other to help answer questions objectively and tell on me.  And don't be afraid to get a second opinion!  We did and it paid off even though it delayed treatment a couple of weeks.  Oh yes was I fatiqued before?  Yes slightly.

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    edited February 2018 #9
    Options
    Nope

I was in the best shape of my life when I got diagnosed. Afterwards, tired as heck for 5 months. One year later I am almost ready to be wrestling grizzly bears again.

Good Luck!!!!

• Wednesday
    Options
    aak16 said:

Good luck

I wish you the best of luck that you receive negative biopsy results for cancer and that you can actually figure out what's causing your fatigue and migraines. I didn't experience either before my diagnosis.  I do however, want to point out that while cancer treatment isn't the funnest thing in the world, getting the diagnosis isn't a death sentence. You may end up needing some help but the good thing is that you most likely won't be leaving your children because of this. Cancer is treatable. Good luck and try not to worry too much while you're waiting!

Thank you

I want to tell you that I have repeated your words "getting the diagnosis isn't a death sentence" in my mind many times since you posted. Also I re-read "you most likely wont' be leaving your children because of this. Cancer is treatable." Thank you so much for your positivity. I really needed it. I'm in a better place, mentally, than I was when I first posted and you helped me to get there. Thank you.