Stage IV Colon Cancer- 2nd Opinion

We are currently trying to get a second opinion and are having trouble with my Insurance (imagine that). I have BlueChoice in SC and they are saying that my second opinion has to be within my state. I have an appointment set up with MD Anderson for next month but need any advice as to how to deal with my insurance. We have heard nothing but great things about MD Anderson.... ANY THOUGHTS/ADVICE/HELP will be GREATLY appreciated

-Just trying to get better 

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    2nd Opinion

I tried MD Anderson, but finally got so disgusted I stopped bothering. Not once did they reply to me about anything, then two days before said "Hey see you soon at your appontment!"  I was not going to travel from NY to Texas without (a) knowing they actually got my materials and (b) knowing that their recommendation was going to be more than "wait for next scan."  Both of those things were discussed from the beginning.  Also make sure you do your homework on who you are assigned for your second opinion there.  

I used a remote opinion on my new diagnosis of inoperable recurrence.  Mass General did one for $800.  Dana Farber does one for about $2,000.  There are some others, inlcuding the Cleveland Clinic, for about $850.  They gather all the records and review them, the provide an opinion. Of course some places may have some advance techniques to determine treatments, such as more advance DNA testing or better MRI machines, but a second that way may be a good way to start.  See what they say while you get insurance straight for MD Anderson.  

• Keisler69
    Keisler69 Member Posts: 18
    NewHere said:

2nd Opinion

I tried MD Anderson, but finally got so disgusted I stopped bothering. Not once did they reply to me about anything, then two days before said "Hey see you soon at your appontment!"  I was not going to travel from NY to Texas without (a) knowing they actually got my materials and (b) knowing that their recommendation was going to be more than "wait for next scan."  Both of those things were discussed from the beginning.  Also make sure you do your homework on who you are assigned for your second opinion there.  

I used a remote opinion on my new diagnosis of inoperable recurrence.  Mass General did one for $800.  Dana Farber does one for about $2,000.  There are some others, inlcuding the Cleveland Clinic, for about $850.  They gather all the records and review them, the provide an opinion. Of course some places may have some advance techniques to determine treatments, such as more advance DNA testing or better MRI machines, but a second that way may be a good way to start.  See what they say while you get insurance straight for MD Anderson.  

They have been very hands-on

They have been very hands-on and upfront this far about everything. They are supposed to let me know by the end of the week, once they get all of my records/slides/etc. if they feel like they can help me or not. Did any of the places you are talking about re-run your slides and do their own pathology evaluation? 

• tmckelve
    tmckelve Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2018 #4
    Cancer treatment centers of America

2018-01-29

I have stage 4 colorectal cancer after some real bad experience with other hospitals, I finely went to CTCA, what a difference they took care of everything. They get me a train ticket and a driver meets me at the train station and takes me to the hospital no muss no fuss and after my treatment they take me back so I can catch the train home.  They have a staff that deals with the insurance company and let me tell you they know their stuff .It was like night and day I highly recommend you check them out.   Also the warmest atmosphere and the friendliest staff no corporate bull snot they just make you feel like family.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    My Experience Was Completely Different

The first person I spoke to said the same thing and understoof everything - they would let me know.  Entered everything into a computer, told me he was transferring me over to the gastro department and then is when the bottom fell out.  The person had all the information, but it was an hour and a half of giving the same information and going around in a circle.  My brother was sitting next to me and by the end was repeating what I was saying with me.  I am not sure if the person was not compentant or a language issue, but the emails I subsequently received was not better.  It was absolute h-ll dealling with them and became not worth my time.  And I have inoperable cancer.   I still start twitching thinking about dealing with this person. Horrible.

The places looking at the second may require the original slides.  Cleveland Clinic does if I recall. They have a service for about $150 that does the work.  I do not know if the others got the slides or just went on reports.  I could not use Cleveland Clinic because I live in NY near the NJ border.  My primary doctor is in NJ, about 2 miles from me.  I needed a note from a doctor in NY requesting the second from Cleveland Clinic.  They would not accept one from an out of state doctor.  

• debugy2k
    debugy2k Member Posts: 85 Member
    NewHere said:

My Experience Was Completely Different

The first person I spoke to said the same thing and understoof everything - they would let me know.  Entered everything into a computer, told me he was transferring me over to the gastro department and then is when the bottom fell out.  The person had all the information, but it was an hour and a half of giving the same information and going around in a circle.  My brother was sitting next to me and by the end was repeating what I was saying with me.  I am not sure if the person was not compentant or a language issue, but the emails I subsequently received was not better.  It was absolute h-ll dealling with them and became not worth my time.  And I have inoperable cancer.   I still start twitching thinking about dealing with this person. Horrible.

The places looking at the second may require the original slides.  Cleveland Clinic does if I recall. They have a service for about $150 that does the work.  I do not know if the others got the slides or just went on reports.  I could not use Cleveland Clinic because I live in NY near the NJ border.  My primary doctor is in NJ, about 2 miles from me.  I needed a note from a doctor in NY requesting the second from Cleveland Clinic.  They would not accept one from an out of state doctor.  

Looks like we live in the

Looks like we live in the same area.  I'm from the NJ side of the NJ/NY border.  We go to Englewood Hospital for the chemo.  They're great there.  Did go get a 2nd opinion at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC and it was a horrible experience for us.  Went there a few times and the TOTAL time spent with the actual doctors was less than 5 minutes COMBINED.  Totally didn't know what was going on.  

Maybe you should go check out Englewood Hospital.  They have a brand new cancer building there.  Lots of funding and such.  Great place.

• Volrecruiter
    Volrecruiter Member Posts: 22
    Stage 4 Colon Cancer

Going to Siteman Cancer Center, St. Louis, MO., for 2nd opinion 2 Feb 2018