Recovery from surgery

Options
Sienna16
Sienna16 Member Posts: 2

I had my left kidney and 11th rib removed 5 weeks ago due to a cancerous tumor encasing most of my kidney.  I am still experiening pain and feel as though there is a huge clamp on my left side.  Not all of the stitches have dissolved yet and I am having trouble sleeping on anything other than my back.  How long before I can expect to feel some relief.  I don't think there is much I can take for the pain.  Thank you for your input.

Comments

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    I have the feeling the

I have the feeling the majority of pain is from the rib removal. No wonder you can't sleep on your side. I don't remember how long it was before I could but it was several weeks. And I'm a side sleeper so that was tough. What I found to help was a long body pillow which I kept against the incision side. I also got a wedge pillow on which I piled some regular ones. The body pillow was great for support against the side and helped me to sleep more comfortably. At five weeks I was taking Tylenol when needed.

• Sienna16
    Sienna16 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    APny said:

I have the feeling the

I have the feeling the majority of pain is from the rib removal. No wonder you can't sleep on your side. I don't remember how long it was before I could but it was several weeks. And I'm a side sleeper so that was tough. What I found to help was a long body pillow which I kept against the incision side. I also got a wedge pillow on which I piled some regular ones. The body pillow was great for support against the side and helped me to sleep more comfortably. At five weeks I was taking Tylenol when needed.

Thank you for your comments

Thank you for your comments Apny.  I will try your pillow solution.