Recovering from liver resection

abita
abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

Got home Friday, after my Tues liver resection. The pain is definitely difficult. But it is comforting knowing that all the known cancer is out.

Does anyone know how long the incision is very painful. I know the recovery period is 4 to 6 weeks. And that an incision through the diaphragm is especially painful. But there is a difference between pain and PAIN! I I am hoping the PAIN is only a week or so.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    So happy to hear you are home

Sorry to hear about the pain. 

I am lucky that I didn't have a resection of the liver, so I'm not sure if the pain from your incision is any different from the pain I had with my bowel resection. Certainly, when I coughed or moved wrong, the pain was incredible; but at other times, the incision wasn't overly painful. 

Keep up with the pain meds that they sent you home with. 

Rest as much as you can, while walking as much as you can. Walking is mega important.

Tru

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    edited January 2018 #3
    You came home quickly

you must be doing very well! My husband had a pretty big incision if memory serves it felt much better after a week and he was working after two. I am so happy to hear it went well, I thought of you often.   Just rest and recover, I am sure you are relieved it is finally over. 

• abita
    Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the incision is big, and hurts in the spot the drain was in. It was surprising how quickly I was recovered enough to go home. I slept for 17 hours when I got home, with a few 30 minute wakeups to go to bathroom, get more water, eat. I still sleep more than be awake, but I think that is okay. I don't have much of an appetite, but that is probably normal.

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    I haven’t had a lover

I haven’t had a lover resection but have a six inch horizontal scar which wasn’t bad. I have heard that vertical scars are a lot harder.

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    abita said:

Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the incision is big, and hurts in the spot the drain was in. It was surprising how quickly I was recovered enough to go home. I slept for 17 hours when I got home, with a few 30 minute wakeups to go to bathroom, get more water, eat. I still sleep more than be awake, but I think that is okay. I don't have much of an appetite, but that is probably normal.

All of it sounds

very normal! Rest is the best thing you can do right now, sleep heals. 

• abita
    Mikenh said:

I haven’t had a lover

I haven’t had a lover resection but have a six inch horizontal scar which wasn’t bad. I have heard that vertical scars are a lot harder.

Yeah, this was hurts a lot

Yeah, this was hurts a lot more than the one from the colon resection. But gets better every day. 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited January 2018 #8
    Great

Welcome home and glad that it's all over for you.  It's got to feel better that it's all out.  The pain will lessen in coming days, but don't rush it.  Walk, walk, walk, as it's best for you to keep moving.  Don't let the pain keep you from trying to make you get up and do some simple chores.  Just don't push it.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Kim

• Airminer
    Airminer Member Posts: 1
    abita said:

Yeah, this was hurts a lot

Yeah, this was hurts a lot more than the one from the colon resection. But gets better every day. 

Hope you're doing well. I'm

Hope you're doing well. I'm dealing with a similiar cancer experience having survived colon operation only to now have mets liver tumor which we're hoping will shrink with chemo for a liver resect. Just wondered how many chemo cycles you had prior to the resect op and the hospital time? All the best.

• abita
    Airminer said:

Hope you're doing well. I'm

Hope you're doing well. I'm dealing with a similiar cancer experience having survived colon operation only to now have mets liver tumor which we're hoping will shrink with chemo for a liver resect. Just wondered how many chemo cycles you had prior to the resect op and the hospital time? All the best.

Sorry you are dealing with

Sorry you are dealing with this. I know how hard it is. I had 4 chemo cycles before my surgery. I am now finishing the last 8 rounds.I found that reminding myself how fortunate I am that my tumors were operable helps. My liver lesions shrunk by almost half with the 4 rounds of chemo.