Update on my son-in-law

penitent
penitent Member Posts: 79

I've been lurking for quite some time and haven't posted for ages, however I have to share some continuing good news.

For those of you who have recently joined the 'club' that nobody wants to join...John has stage 4, grade 4, 60% sarcomatoid cancer.  He was dx'ed about 18 months ago.  He had a 13cm tumor and a total left kidney nephrectomy.  He didn't do well initially with votrient side effects which was the first line but since then has been doing bi-weekly Opdivo infusions for at least nine months more or less.  He had a scare some months ago with nodes in the lungs and a tumor in the para-tracheal area near his aorta.  He had an SRBT radiation treatment for that tumor which was successful.

He had scans yesterday and for the third consecutive time, I believe, he has had NO evidence of any tumors.  The Opdivo seems to be keeping the monster at bay which is a true blessing as my daughter is expecting their third child in around four months.  Of course, he is tired all of the time from the immunotherapy but we have to thank God for a continued abatement of the cancer.

Deo Gratias!

Penitent

Comments

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    That is great news

pray it   continues..

Love to you all

Annie

• Bryn1108
    Bryn1108 Member Posts: 97 Member
    Praying hard

Praying hard for complete NED, for a long life.  BIG HUGS 

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    Wow! So happy to hear the

Wow! So happy to hear the good news. I hope he regains strength and good health! Here's to many more NED scans!

• klj15
    klj15 Member Posts: 38
    Ditto on the great news!

Ditto on the great news! Prayers for continued success.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited February 2018 #6
    That's very good news on the

That's very good news on the last scan. Opdivo eems to be really working for him. All the best!

• Angiebby75
    Angiebby75 Member Posts: 208 Member
    That is truely a blessing,

That is truely a blessing, and great news!

• Pandabear1011
    Pandabear1011 Member Posts: 123 Member
    Amazing news! All the best

Amazing news! All the best for your son-in-law in 2018 and beyond. ~Panda~

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited February 2018 #9
    Unbelievable! So happy to

Unbelievable! So happy to hear these results. Good luck to him and to your daughter!

• Cinnamongirl
    Cinnamongirl Member Posts: 199 Member
    Wonderful

That is wonderful news! Many prayers for continued good scans!

• Optimisticgirl
    Optimisticgirl Member Posts: 82 Member
    Fantastic news!

Hope the good news continues ad infinitum!

• penitent
    penitent Member Posts: 79
    Thank you all...

...for your prayers and well wishes.  His oncologist says if the May scans are clear as well...and he continues on the Opdivo for another year at least, he can breathe easier from then.  It could be a true miracle for someone who originally thought he might only have 12-18 months.

John is Vietnamese and for those of you who may be Catholic you'll understand that we've asked for the intercession of Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan who is now considered 'venerable' and up for beatification.  John could be his miracle.  For those that aren't Catholic or religious, just know the power of prayer is strong.

Penitent

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    I was devoted

to  Saint John Paul ..I will keep you all in my prayers

Annie

• Karen8873
    Karen8873 Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2018 #14
    Wonderful news!

Prayers for more clear scans!

• marosa
    marosa Member Posts: 334 Member
    edited February 2018 #15
    Here's wishing for continued improvement!

Those are indeed good news.

• amandac2018
    amandac2018 Member Posts: 26
    Such wonderful news

always so happy hear these kind of posts. Congratulations to your daughter as well