Bad Taste in Mouth

Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of the bad taste. My husband has completed 23 of 35 radiation treatments and 2 of 3 Cisplatin chemos. He had one bout of thrush but the Nystatin has cleared that up. He has a mild sore throat but right now ibuprofen seems to help. However, the awful taste in his mouth is preventing him from wanting to eat. He’s probably only getting about 1000 calories a day. He’ll have a yogurt in the morning and might have one Ensure during the day. I hear the last two weeks of radiation and the two weeks following are the worst. Anyone else dealing with the awful taste?  And any recommendations on surviving the next few weeks?  I’m worried. 

Comments

• soonermom
    soonermom Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2018 #2
    Slog on through.....

My husband had multiple bouts with thrush during treatment.  I don't have any easy answers to give you but to just say keep trying different things and over time it WILL get better but probably not as quickly as you wish.  There were some minty Toothette brushes that the treatment team gave us.  They also recommended a product called Prevention.  It is not magic mouthwsh, which I assume the treament team has prescribed for you.  This was not prescription but we had to have the pharmacy order it for us.  It was about $12.00.  It was another option.  Different things work for different people at different points in treatment.  There is a war/battle being waged in their throat and for some patients the yucky taste is just an unfortunate side effect of the process.  We also were able to get samples of some other products like Gelclair and its competitors that he tried.  Those are prescription and expensive but they have access programs that your treatment center should be able to help you find if they think it will help him.  Just keep letting your treatment team that this is significantly impacting his appetite.  We got something new to try at practically every check up because it was such an issue for him.  As CivilMatt said, meeting those intake benchmarks are critical to his long-term recovery.  The weight loss is just a symptom of inadequate intake but it impacts so many aspects of their recovery.  The nutrition piece is just so much harder for some patients than others.  My husband had a PEG tube and it was still a huge struggle.  You will get past all of this but really use your treatment team to help you.  

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    awful taste, no taste, been there.

DShaw,

I used the salt and soda rinse, to the  tune  of ½ gallon a day. Almost any over the counter rinse will irritate him and prove difficult to use.

He really needs to get 1K more calories a day and 2K is just barely enough.  Start early, you have all day, but try to get the calories and drink lots of water.

Matt

• Curlyn
    Curlyn Member Posts: 189
    Hi DShaw, when I was rec'ing

Hi DShaw, when I was rec'ing rad/cisplatin, they told me no Ibuprofen (NSAIDs), because it is hard on GI tract, could cause bleeding. Sorry if I am out of line but just wanted to mention it, and realize that you might have been given different advice. As for nasty taste, I used the salt/baking soda like Matt, and basically rode it out. Every hour! ( it also keeps your mouth alkaline and helps prevent cavities). Your husband is at a difficult point and he should get more calories and water in if he wants to ease the side effects. Good luck!

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    For me, I simply gave up on

For me, I simply gave up on food being enjoyable to any extent and simply came to the realization it was a necessity. Being a necessity I looked for ways to get the calories in with the least amount of effort (ie: fewer swallows). For me, Boost VHC (order on Amazon) was the answer. It tastes bad, it's thick-ish, but it's also 530 calories in 8 ounces (or 8 swallows for me). I did this four times a day and I was done! That got me through treatment without a PEG tube and 4 months post treatment I am basically back to 100%. Less saliva, but my taste buds are in tact and my energy levels are back.