Port removal side effects.

Skastner
Skastner Member Posts: 1

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone after a cheat port removal they continued to lightly bleed for a few days after. My mom just recently had her port taken out about two days ago but she said it was a pretty... well for lack of a better term... aggressive removal. She said there was a lot of pressure and pulling and she was uncomfortable and personally felt like it’s should not have been and outpatient procedure. Anyway, after the removal the doctor did not stitch her but used dermaglue and she has a pretty big scab now that continues to lightly bleed and is painful. I can tell she is worried because she was told this would be a simple procedure and suppose to be an easy recovery but sadly that is not what she is experiencing. Did anyone else have an experience like this or hear of anything similar. I am trying to convince her to go see a doctor because my mind is overthinking but I dont want to worry her my telling her what’s going on in my head. Thank you all for your support. 

Sincerely,

Simone

Comments

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    edited January 2018 #2
    port

Hi, I had a pretty bad experience with ths port removal and it was done in the OR at the hospital.   They put stitches internally and the externally and it was very uncomfortable even with the numbing agent they gave me. It bled a bit for a few days and remained bruised for months. Months,,.not weeks. It is still sore to this day, and that was done 6 months ago.   I think your Mom should have someone look at it, even if it is for peace of mind.  

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2018 #3
    Skastner

Hello Skastner, sorry to hear your mom having trouble after her port removal..she should have dr to check it to make sure to prevent infections and healing correctly..

she will be FINE  GOD Bless continue to BEEOSITIVE!!  hugs to you and your family

BEEpositive Smile

• hahala
    hahala Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018 #4
    oncologists forgot to remove my port

I' ve had 3 oncologists forget to remove my port. They thought that they would not get paid from medicare. Because of the infection and pain, I would like to remove the port myself.

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    hahala said:

I' ve had 3 oncologists forget to remove my port. They thought that they would not get paid from medicare. Because of the infection and pain, I would like to remove the port myself.

Port Removal

WHAT?! Under absolutely NO circumstances should you attempt to remove the port yourself. It is threaded through vessels in your neck and you risk incredible injury should you attempt to do so. You state that you already have an infection. 

I had my port removed in my surgeon's office about 2 months after I finished chemo. I was given some numbing medication and closed my eyes to what he was doing. I felt some weird tugging but that was about it.  I received a couple of stitches to close the removal site and drove myself home. I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. Please don't make any hasty decisions. It is up to YOU to make the appointment to get the port removed. My surgeon did the procedure - not my oncologist.

IRENE

• asilinc298
    asilinc298 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2019 #6
    hahala said:

So sorry that you are going

So sorry that you are going through this.  My port has hurt since it was installed and I cant wait to have it removed.  I understand how you feel wanting to take it out your self, that thought has crossed my mind way too many times.  I will have a surgeon take it out when she does my lumpectomy.  My tumor was too large for surgery so had to start with chemo first.  Best wishes on getting that thing out and a full recovery 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    I miss mine...

Yes the port can ache, but I miss mine.  You see, I have lymphedema in my arms so I cannot have blood test or IV's in my arm.  I have one vien on the top of my right hand that docs have approved and that it is.  and it hurts sooo bad when it has to be used.  

NO you never ever take your port out on your own.  Wow, good way to die fast.  You must go to back to the surgeon that put it in and get it out the proper way.  

Hugs and prayers for better days,

Annie

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    hahala said:

Whoa there...

Whoever put the port in is the one that removes it.  That is not the onocologist and it is not a do it yourself project!   

• LaurieJune
    LaurieJune Member Posts: 1
    stomach upset from chemo

does anyone have stomach upset from AC treatments?  i cannot stop using the bathroom ad it is so unfortable.  also nausea lasts for days and days.

• 2nu2tnbc
    2nu2tnbc Member Posts: 69 Member
    Nausea

Do you you have meds for nausea?  If so, take them and it’s also a good idea to take them before you get sick, right after your meeting fusion.... maybe the day after because they give you meds during the infusion

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    edited July 2019 #11
    My only problem with the port

My only problem with the port remove all was that my port was deep after being in for 6 years.  I was sore for a few days and then developed blisters from the steri strips as I had develop an allergy to adhesive