methotrexate

Good morning everyone! I hope you all had a good Christmas. I am posting to hopefully get some feedback from people who have had methotrexate infusions. Mom is about to complete her final round of chemo, which will be followed by methotrexate. Doctor says they will give it to her through her port not spine, which makes me feel a bit less anxious. Nevertheless, I am still worried because I have read about the horrible side effects online, so I wanted to come in here to get information from those who have actually gone through this process. Thanks so much! God bless. 

Comments

• yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591
    edited December 2017 #2
    Methotrexate

I did not have Methotrexate for my NHL, however I did take this drug in my course of treatment for breast cancer.  I received it as a cocktail in CMF which consisted of Methotrexate, Cytoxin and 5Fu.  I than took low dose Methotrexate for my RA for over 14 years.  As chemo drugs go I did not have much of a problem with it.  It was considered an easier drug for breast cancer then Adriamycin, which I had in RCHOP.  Hopes this helps ease your mind some.

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Intrathecal

I had an intrathecal injection of methotrexate just prior to my transplant. I noted no side effects whatsoever. Those who receive heavier doses for a longer time almost certainly have something to report. It is sometimes given if central nervous system involvement is suspected. It may be normal to administer it via the port, but since it is not specifically a lymphoma drug, I would wonder why.

• mfedez87
    mfedez87 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2017 #4
    po18guy said:

Intrathecal

I had an intrathecal injection of methotrexate just prior to my transplant. I noted no side effects whatsoever. Those who receive heavier doses for a longer time almost certainly have something to report. It is sometimes given if central nervous system involvement is suspected. It may be normal to administer it via the port, but since it is not specifically a lymphoma drug, I would wonder why.

Thank you for responding.

Thank you for responding. Doctor says it's a form of immunotherapy and to prevent the cancer from spreading to the brain or other parts of the body. 

• mfedez87
    edited December 2017 #5
    yesyes2 said:

Methotrexate

I did not have Methotrexate for my NHL, however I did take this drug in my course of treatment for breast cancer.  I received it as a cocktail in CMF which consisted of Methotrexate, Cytoxin and 5Fu.  I than took low dose Methotrexate for my RA for over 14 years.  As chemo drugs go I did not have much of a problem with it.  It was considered an easier drug for breast cancer then Adriamycin, which I had in RCHOP.  Hopes this helps ease your mind some.

Thank you so much. It does

Thank you so much. It does make me feel better. One day at a time, that is all we can do. Hope you are doing better :) 

• Evarista
    Evarista Member Posts: 336 Member
    MTX with chemo

Seems to me that most folks report getting their methotrexate in conjunction with their chemo.  Thus, it's difficult to sort out (at least for me) what is a side effect of MTX vs. side effects from everything else.  Other than the headache after the spinal, I cannot think of anything that seemed to be directly the result of the methotrexate.  There are a few people here who've had the i.v. instead of the intrathecal.  Hopefully, one of them can tell you more.  I would expect that the i.v. MTX will not be any more difficult that the rest, assuming you are referring to either R-CHOP or R-EPOCH.  Methotrexate has been around for a long, long time, so google should be helpful to learn more. Good luck to her.

• mfedez87
    Evarista said:

MTX with chemo

Seems to me that most folks report getting their methotrexate in conjunction with their chemo.  Thus, it's difficult to sort out (at least for me) what is a side effect of MTX vs. side effects from everything else.  Other than the headache after the spinal, I cannot think of anything that seemed to be directly the result of the methotrexate.  There are a few people here who've had the i.v. instead of the intrathecal.  Hopefully, one of them can tell you more.  I would expect that the i.v. MTX will not be any more difficult that the rest, assuming you are referring to either R-CHOP or R-EPOCH.  Methotrexate has been around for a long, long time, so google should be helpful to learn more. Good luck to her.

Yes, I have found that many

Yes, I have found that many get the Methotrexate along with the Chemo regimen. Mom is doing 6 rounds of R EPOCH and handling them fairly well. I have read that Methrotraxate side effects, especially headaches, can be debiliating. I appreciate your feedback. 

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Either coffee or a shunt

The intrathecal injection will increase spinal fluid pressure, which can cause some horrible headaches. Either too much or too little spinal fluid does this. If it is too little, such as after a spinal tap for biopsy purposes, then tossing back a few more cups of coffee is sometimes recommended, as caffeine stimulates spinal fluid preoduction. If too much fluid, a shunt can be placed, but this is more of an extreme measure if the problem is persistent or the if the headaches are debilitating.

Personally, I much prefer the coffee!

• Sal0101
    Sal0101 Member Posts: 136 Member
    IV methotrexate

I had 3 Methotrexate IV infusions through my port during my chemo treatments.  It was 2 weeks after my 2nd, 4th, and 6th R-chop treatmens. I don’t remember having any significant side effects at all.  I’m thinking the terrible headaches are when the treatments are spinal. Mine was also precautionary to prevent any brain involvement. 

Sharon

• Tropical
    Tropical Member Posts: 6
    I did 6 treatments of DA

I did 6 treatments of DA-EPOCH-R followed by 2 treatments of methotrexate (given through the port) and the latter was a piece of cake compared to the former. Just important to follow instructions so that the methotrexate can be flushed out ASAP. Hope everything goes well:)