choosing a DR if you dont have PC yet but are worried

Steve1961
Steve1961 Member Posts: 501 Member

i started another trend..not sure if it will help anyone but it might...i was recently dignosed PC..early stages thank the Lord for that because i skipped teating for a year and could have been much worse....so 8 years back at 48 first PSA test 5.0 biopsy negative..dr made light of it but needed to be checked ever 6 months..so 2 years later Psa still at 5.0  once again no big deal.. DR he tells me some poeople just have high PSA..BUT i had symptoms enlarged prostarte and urgency...which but me at 50% higher chance  and my father had it wich put me at  a highrer 50% chance...Hmmm..Asked if aanything i could do he said just exersize  and eat healthy  ...so 2.5 years ago july 2105 Psa 5,1 seconf biopsy  negative..cool....but now sept 2017 Psa 8.1 biopsy 3 cores positive..hmmmm After alot of reseach and watching seminars put on by Stanford and UCSF all abbout PC .i learned alot.....i learned that for the past 7 or 8 years i probably had PC but that little needle  was missing the tumors ...what I am  getting at is that drs arent all the same..and dont treat PC and b iopsies the same...if think if my Dr was any good he would have sent me for a T3 MRI 5 years back..it may have showed the tumors  and then he would have known exactly where to put the needle....it may have been caught a long time ago and could have been a candidate for active sureveylance...but then again it has grown a bit so i would probably still have to have it out \BUTTTT i may have taken MUCHHHH BETTERRR care of myself and maybe kept it in check....i guess what i am getting at is if someone is reading this and doesnt have PC yet or knows someone who is worried about it ......go to a University Urologist a place where they have all means of  testing and equiptment and know all the latest treatments  and precautions.......hope this may help someone..i was thinking about seeing my urologist and his surgeon as well as another one ...NOPE it is either Stanford or UCSF for me...period...

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 999 Member
    edited December 2017 #2
    Good summation

Hi Steve,

That is what I have said, always get the MRI 1st and the biopsy second or you are just taking pot shots at your prostate. Nice to have the MRI imagery guide you to the location(s).

Dave 3+4

• Steve1961

Good summation

Hi Steve,

That is what I have said, always get the MRI 1st and the biopsy second or you are just taking pot shots at your prostate. Nice to have the MRI imagery guide you to the location(s).

Dave 3+4

Absolutely and go to the best

Absolutely and go to the best of the best 

• JJO
    JJO Member Posts: 22 Member
    Just some more information

Just some more information for people.  I had negative biopies for years and then finally had a positive biopsy, but my MRIs are still negative.  That's a good thing for me becuase it means the cancer is very small, but people should know that prostate cancer doesn't always show up in an MRI.  

• Steve1961
    hmmm

great point but MRI  they can help...i think alot of time some Dr wont order one is unfortrunately they are quite expensive....but its not their money  but then again who  knows  maybe disgusting insurance  companies would drop these drs if they are spending too much....disgusting to think like that...thats why ..go to a university  the best of the best would could care less about money...just my opinion